Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector gen3 overheating fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: I just got off the phone. They’re pushing the update to my charger.

I’m glad some of you are getting chargers but I honestly think this could be a different issue not a hardware issue. I truly hope the new charger fixes it but I don’t see what that would fix, unless they changed components in the last 3 weeks since my charger is brand new.

Looking forward to see if someone or Tesla find a fix. Thanks

I'm having to call as well. Let us know if it fixed your issue.

Hi all, thanks for all the info.
I have been having this same problem for about 2-3 weeks now, and the unit worked perfectly before then for about a month.
I looked at my wall charger's version and I seem to have 0.8.58 so that seems to be a later version than reported earlier.
Is anyone else having this problem even with 0.8.58?
(BTW, the Raleigh support group was totally useless on this. I've had to debug this myself, and my electrician is coming today to double check the wires - even though all the posts here indicate it's a known Tesla problem.)

I have also been having problems for 2-3 weeks. I have gone thru my setup (atleast at the wall connector) and no lose wires or signs of damage. I was already on the 0.8.54 and having the failures. Nothing appeared hot after inspecting under a breaker-off state. After some investigating, I am beginning to think this was more related to a change in voltage from the start of the charge to full current, and the wall connector interpreting too big a drop as a lose wire (and thus presuming overheating might occur). I am seeing about a 7-10v drop from panel to car (on 6awg wire) - so I have some investigating to do.

All this being said, I received a firmware update sometime yesterday to 0.8.58.g2f475f6c93fd79, and for the first time in weeks I was able to complete the charge - start to finish without overtemp faults. The charge did reduce the current to 20A (my setup is configured for 40A on a 50A breaker). I suspect I still have an issue somewhere with my circuit due to the voltage drop, but no overtemp faults after 1 cycle - fingers crossed! Will update here.

I have also been having problems for 2-3 weeks. I have gone thru my setup (atleast at the wall connector) and no lose wires or signs of damage. I was already on the 0.8.54 and having the failures. Nothing appeared hot after inspecting under a breaker-off state. After some investigating, I am beginning to think this was more related to a change in voltage from the start of the charge to full current, and the wall connector interpreting too big a drop as a lose wire (and thus presuming overheating might occur). I am seeing about a 7-10v drop from panel to car (on 6awg wire) - so I have some investigating to do.

All this being said, I received a firmware update sometime yesterday to 0.8.58.g2f475f6c93fd79, and for the first time in weeks I was able to complete the charge - start to finish without overtemp faults. The charge did reduce the current to 20A (my setup is configured for 40A on a 50A breaker). I suspect I still have an issue somewhere with my circuit due to the voltage drop, but no overtemp faults after 1 cycle - fingers crossed! Will update here.

Looking forward to your update! I'll be checking my new firmware update tonight, crossing my fingers! BTW... how do you find out what firmware version you currently have?

Looking forward to your update! I'll be checking my new firmware update tonight, crossing my fingers! BTW... how do you find out what firmware version you currently have?
If you know the IP address of your wall connector, type that into a browser (when connected to the same WiFI network as the wall connector). If you didn't save that information from the commissioning, you can find this by following the beginning of the commissioning instructions from the quick start guide. Once in, firmware displayed at the bottom of the screen.

Update
Received the replacement TWC. Seems like it was shipped over night, since it was just yesterday that I had spoken to support about my issue.I've installed it and it's running fine.
My previous TWC was stopping every 5 min or so with the face plate hot to the touch. The new TWC's face plate is cool and only the cable is warm. Any one know if this is normal? In the entire time I've owned a wall connector I had never bothered to touch the cable while it was charging.
Note: the TWC is installed inside my garage which avg interior summer temp is around 80F.

Here's the interesting part... the new TWC is running on firmware 0.8.4+g8984eea7a4b342.
I'm curious if I will run into the same issue again if/when it updates to the latest firmware version. :confused:

My TWC is about 4 weeks old and my cable has run warm and my garage is only in the high 60's low 70's. Started getting the interruption last week. I just got a firmware update but at the same time they had my husband throttle the amps down from 48 to 21. I have not had any interruptions but now it takes me twice as long to charge my car at home. :(

My TWC is about 4 weeks old and my cable has run warm and my garage is only in the high 60's low 70's. Started getting the interruption last week. I just got a firmware update but at the same time they had my husband throttle the amps down from 48 to 21. I have not had any interruptions but now it takes me twice as long to charge my car at home. :(
They pushed the update to my charger and my car also had an update this morning.

Just charged it at 48A for about an hour and half no issues. Temperature here is about 89 deg.
Tesla has been texting me all morning checking in on me. They’re very optimistic that this charger update will fix it. I will try to drain my battery as much as I can tomorrow to charge for a longer period of time and let you know how it went.

Hope everyone is seeing improvements.

Reactions: Garnetter
So my test last night in charging my model 3 from about 10%, ambient temp in garage (~70F), firmware on 0.8.58.g2f475f6c93fd79, after about an hour into to charging at 40A, the wall connector began the three red blinks (overheating), WHILE simultaneously showing the green charging sequential LEDs, BUT charging reduced to 20A. This seems to be the new behavior of version 0.8.58 - reducing the amperage to cool down vs. the "game over" three red blinks. This is not solving the problem as I did not invest $500 + installation costs in a 20A charger. I took some infrared pictures of the unit to verify it was not the home wiring heating up, by powering down and separating the wall connector from the base and taking pictures of the de-energized unit. It appears at though the heating is related to the "finger connectors" (or whatever is behind them on inside of the WC) as they measured over 70C (158F) - I don't know if this is considered "normal." I will open up [another] ticket with Tesla - this time at the number mentioned in this thread.
FLIR0966.jpg

FLIR0973.jpg

IMG_1562.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and UncleCreepy
Update: Just charged my Model 3 Long Range for about an hour and a half at 48A. No issues. Local area temperature 92, garage temperature feels like low 80’s(same conditions as before). Tesla is still texting and checking on me. I told them I will drain the battery as much as I can this weekend and do a longer charge that my usual 70 some miles and give them an update.

Hope everyone has a great weekend, free of charging interruptions.

I have version 0.8.58+ (Gen 3) which they said was automatically updated to this version just this week. As with many of you, after about an hour of proper charging at 48 amps, I get the blinking red light (three times), and the charging continues but at 24 amps. I have had it about a month and the problem just started this week. Not much help so far from the Tesla support desk, but certainly seems like it is likely to be a software problem vs hardware with so many of us having identical issues. Very annoying.

I have version 0.8.58+ (Gen 3). Not much help so far from the Tesla support desk, but certainly seems like it is likely to be a software problem vs hardware with so many of us having identical issues. Very annoying.

I have a new install, with that software, and am getting the same throttling to half the amps (40 down to 20) with the 3 red blinks... is the unit supposed to be completely sealed or should it have a vent hole added on the bottom?

Today I’ve been charging for about 3 hours. No interruptions red blinking light along with green lights and is charging at 24A, technically not meeting the specs and requirements many customers are paying for. Im happy that I’m not getting interruptions but the charger is much slower now. Not sure where to go from here.

Hope everyone has great weekend.

Last edited:
Hopefully Tesla gets this figured out in their firmware. I've been experiencing the same thing others have reported for the past two weeks charging at 40A (had no issues before that since installing back in April). First it was constant interruptions with the previous firmware version. Now with 8.58, charging is throttled instead. I've given up for now and limited the charger to 32A, which works fine.

Either Tesla's firmware engineers need to test more thoroughly before releasing new versions to the public, or this was intentional to fix or prevent some other possible issue (overheating and fire risk?).

Reactions: vet757
Hopefully Tesla gets this figured out in their firmware. I've been experiencing the same thing others have reported for the past two weeks charging at 40A (had no issues before that since installing back in April). First it was constant interruptions with the previous firmware version. Now with 8.58, charging is throttled instead. I've given up for now and limited the charger to 32A, which works fine.

Either Tesla's firmware engineers need to test more thoroughly before releasing new versions to the public, or this was intentional to fix or prevent some other possible issue (overheating and fire risk?).

I take back what I said about lowering the charger limit to 32A working for me as a temporary hold-over... At this setting, my charger is throttling all the way down to 16A max, giving me 10 mi/hr! Wonderful.

I take back what I said about lowering the charger limit to 32A working for me as a temporary hold-over... At this setting, my charger is throttling all the way down to 16A max, giving me 10 mi/hr! Wonderful.

Just for the heck of it, I switched the charge limit back to 40A and the throttling is down to 6A (3 mi/hr). So basically the fancy wall charger is now no better than using the mobile charger with a standard AC outlet.