Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector gen3 overheating fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never meant to imply that any one individual at Tesla deserves a D-minus for Customer Service. Every person I have spoken with has been delightful and helpful to the best of their ability. It is the customer service process that has been horrible. When there is a problem which requires 5 phone calls and numerous emails and there's still no solution (and no communication that they are working on one) then that's a problem.

Reactions: Horktocken
I never meant to imply that any one individual at Tesla deserves a D-minus for Customer Service. Every person I have spoken with has been delightful and helpful to the best of their ability. It is the customer service process that has been horrible. When there is a problem which requires 5 phone calls and numerous emails and there's still no solution (and no communication that they are working on one) then that's a problem.
I totally knew what you meant, didn’t mean to suggest otherwise. The other tech support reps I’ve spoken with were very nice too. The problem is Tesla seems entirely reactive, not proactive.

You know, what if Tesla’s Power Device support team had a Twitter account? We could all follow them. They could tweet “we are aware some users are experiencing overheating errors with their Gen 3 wall connectors; this appears to be a software problem and we are working on the fix!” People would respond with the usual Twitter spam. But in the end, we would all feel more secure knowing this was an issue being worked on.

Instead, there is no Twitter that I’m aware of. No easy way to get their attention. I wouldn’t have known what number to call if it weren’t for TMC. And once you call, you have to keep pushing the issue yourself because there is little to no communication back.

Have any of you notice that Tesla pulled down their own forums on this topic. There was a thread in the Tesla Forum on this very topic. I provided my own experiences and they were posted for several days. Then, all of a sudden the entire forum has been offline for several al days. Tesla Forums Maintenance | Tesla

I can't get any of the forums directly from tesla to work for days now.

I am willing to give them some slack because they do at least charge right now. I also don't want to waste time and effort simply replacing my current one with a replacement only to have the exact same thing happen.

What is annoying is the lack of communication since early last week. I had been working with them at least once a week for several weeks trying different firmware but that all stopped after they said they were gathering my car logs early last week. Have asked twice for updates since and not heard anything. Going to give it a few more weeks and then just requesting a refund/exchange for a gen 2.

Just want my $500 charger to stop acting like a beta product.....

Can we even get a Gen 2 connector? If it gave me a reliable 48A, I'd do it.
We have 3 gen 2 wall connectors and they've always worked reliably at 48A. They can be load-balanced too so if you have multiple Teslas, they can split the load automatically. For example, on one 100A circuit, it allows an individual wall connector to charge a car at up to 80A. The gen 3 wall connectors max out at 48A. Our cars don't have the 72A or 80A chargers so they max out at 48A. We can charge two cars simultaneously at 40A each or 3 cars at ~27A each.

Reactions: Horktocken
I just received an email from Tesla with a return label, I appears that they want me to ship the old one back before they ship a new me a new one. I don’t think that will work for me. Has anyone else got this or done this?

Complete Your Return
Your return label and instructions are attached. Once we receive the item below, your replacement will be processed with in 7-10 business days.
WALL CONNECTOR, NA, 1P, 48A, 18FT
Qty: 1
Ship return package by 2020-09-04

OBW I was able to charge at 38 amps without interruption.

I too received a return shipping label via email with the same instructions. I exchanged a couple of emails with the Tech Support guy who I've been working with.This is directly from his message: "The return label is for returning the wall connector after the new one arrives. You will just pack up the defective wall connector in the box it was sent in and send it to us. It means we have determined the unit defective and are sending you a replacement due to the issue presented. Usually the replacement is delivered to you within 7-10 days."

Reactions: Phlier and RAM482
Spoke with Tesla Wall Charger support (again!!) this morning. This is my 4th call to them and I have received NOTHING since they said they elevated it to Level 2 (whatever that means). Within an hour after the call today I received an email with a FedEx return label. No instructions, no indication on when a replacement will be sent out. I was originally told by support that they would, "probably send out a replacement and then I would return mine." I am very hesitant to return mine without more info. Do not want to uninstall and return without an idea of what the issue is and when a replacement will be sent. Even though it is not charging at 48A, it is still giving me some level of charge. So far, I would rate Tesla customer service on this issue with a D-minus.

What did you do? I just received an email with a return label. It indicated that they wanted me to return the equipment and when they received it they would ship another one.

Your return label and instructions are attached. Once we receive the item below, your replacement will be processed with in 7-10 business days.
RAM

I just picked a random number - figured I'd back 10A out, but I haven't tried inching up or down. I've only done two multi-hour charges there but so far so good. As you said it's 100% consistent at 48A that it'll drop within an hour to 24 and then further to 6 if you stop/start. For now I'm OK with 38 knowing a replacement is on the way (even though I still suspect a firmware thing on either the car or charger side of things and that they're just swapping units to appease customers while they debug it).

I've been charging at 40A without any issues, whereas previously it'd be at 48A and it would inevitably cut back to 24A.

I posted my IR thermometer readings in this thread, which I believe was linked by a previous poster. I also took temperatures of the cable by the charging point and they were reading about 3 F higher than the heat measurement of the cable coming out of the HPWC.
Gen 3 cord 23 degree temp rise in 10 minutes :(

inside my 2 car garage:
Ambient 86.0 F
Humidity 67%

Right before charging started:
Gen 3 HPWC (reading taken by the LEDs): 88.7 F
6" from the charger, cable temp: 86.7 F
235v, 48A

After 30 minutes of charging:
HPWC: 98.7 F
Cable temp: 99.8 F
237v, 48A

After 60 minutes of charging:
HPWC: 107.6 F
Cable temp: 114.9 F
237v, 48A

After 75 minutes of charging is when I got the red blinking light:
HPWC 109.9 F
Cable temp: 104.9
239v, 24A

I just received an email from Tesla with a return label, I appears that they want me to ship the old one back before they ship a new me a new one. I don’t think that will work for me. Has anyone else got this or done this?

Complete Your Return
Qty: 1
Ship return package by 2020-09-04

OBW I was able to charge at 38 amps without interruption.
Called Tesla this afternoon and they confirmed they would send a new charger before I returned the old one. However, they did not have a tracking number but was going to get back to me with one.

Called Tesla this afternoon and they confirmed they would send a new charger before I returned the old one. However, they did not have a tracking number but was going to get back to me with one.
I just got a return label in my e-mail too. I saved the e-mail, intending to call to confirm that I don’t have to return the old one before receiving the new. I don’t have my old packing material anymore. I’ll just use the box from the new one to return the old, I guess.

But
(1) I had an electrician install my current one and I hope replacing it is something I’m comfortable doing myself? Probably I’ll have the same electricians come out again. I know it’s probably just remove 4 torx screws and take off the front and put on a new front, but I figure it would be good for these guys to look at everything while it is open (and if there’s more to it than plug and play, then I don’t want to screw with it myself). Sucks to have to pay again though.

(2) I don’t want to go through the hassle of installing a new one if the same thing will just happen again. I’d rather know for sure Tesla figured it out and it is now fixed in the new one.

Also - I should add that I’ve had three multi-hour charging sessions at 36A consistent with no errors (including right now). I was thinking of trying 40A but didn’t want to push my luck.

I posted my IR thermometer readings in this thread, which I believe was linked by a previous poster. I also took temperatures of the cable by the charging point and they were reading about 3 F higher than the heat measurement of the cable coming out of the HPWC.
Gen 3 cord 23 degree temp rise in 10 minutes :(
I just read that thread for the first time. I have the long cord, too. It would get warm but not “hot.” But aren’t people seeing this issue with the shorter cord too? I wonder if the new units they are sending us are different in any way (thicker cord?).

Also, I saw some voltage drop, too. Looking at my screenshots, I see 234V at 48A and 238-239V at 24A. But I figured that was partly due to the long wire run from my breaker box to the charger (about 60’) or that it was just normal. Touching the 60A breaker the electricians installed I can feel some warmth when the car is charging. But it is not “hot,” just warmer than the other breakers. I know essentially nothing about electrical equipment though. And like everyone else, mine worked fine at 48A until mid-July, then this issue started happening every time.

Tomorrow I’ll try 40A but I’m superstitiously afraid to jinx the 36A which is working well right now.

When anyone gets their replacement, please post the part number. It should be on the unit and it's on the web interface. Mine was rev F: 1457768-01-F

Anyone not having issues that can post their part number? If they ECNd anything to spec a thicker gauge cable for example, the rev number (letter) would have bumped if they're like every other manufacturer. If it was just a bad batch of some part from a supplier or in the assembly process, then who knows.