Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector gen3 overheating fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also installed the Gen 3 Wall Connector just a few months ago and suddenly was getting the three red blinking lights indicating an overheating issue. My electrician came to check it out and everything was fine, but then we discovered this was a firmware issue. Connected to wifi and got several new firmware updates and the problem went away. But now in the last few weeks I'm again getting 3 red blinking lights (but different than the last time in that the green lights continue and the wall connector continues to charge) and like a few other people, the current is cutting from 48 to 24 and even down to 6. My latest firmware is also 0.8.58. It is extremely helpful to have read everyone's posts and realize that this is a known issue. By way of an update, I did reach Tesla support and just to confirm what others have said, they are trying to prioritize who should receive new wall connectors and who might be able to get a firmware update that will solve this issue. Support was great and very helpful once I got through.

• Love
Reactions: zone121
I also installed the Gen 3 Wall Connector just a few months ago and suddenly was getting the three red blinking lights indicating an overheating issue. My electrician came to check it out and everything was fine, but then we discovered this was a firmware issue. Connected to wifi and got several new firmware updates and the problem went away. But now in the last few weeks I'm again getting 3 red blinking lights (but different than the last time in that the green lights continue and the wall connector continues to charge) and like a few other people, the current is cutting from 48 to 24 and even down to 6. My latest firmware is also 0.8.58. It is extremely helpful to have read everyone's posts and realize that this is a known issue. By way of an update, I did reach Tesla support and just to confirm what others have said, they are trying to prioritize who should receive new wall connectors and who might be able to get a firmware update that will solve this issue. Support was great and very helpful once I got through.

Agreed, support was great. Hopefully they can figure out a fix quickly.

I just received my replacement last week (3rd unit) and easily installed. No issues so far charging at 48a in terms of red lights etc.

HOWEVER, the cord just feels too hot.

Im not comfortable with it. Ill wait for a few bubbles to appear on the cord and call it a day with this product.

I think Im pretty convinced that this is not going to work out. I would rather throttle down and install a 50 amp breaker with Nema outlet for 30 bucks and call it a day.....plus get back my $500 dollars.

Rob

• Helpful
Reactions: X Fan and pt19713
I just received my replacement last week (3rd unit) and easily installed. No issues so far charging at 48a in terms of red lights etc.

HOWEVER, the cord just feels too hot.

Im not comfortable with it. Ill wait for a few bubbles to appear on the cord and call it a day with this product.

I think Im pretty convinced that this is not going to work out. I would rather throttle down and install a 50 amp breaker with Nema outlet for 30 bucks and call it a day.....plus get back my $500 dollars.
The cord does feel pretty warm. I have had my replacement installed for a few days now and have done several charges up to about 2 hours, and it has always stayed at 48A, no overheating error. But that cord does get pretty warm.

My last one worked for about a month before it started giving me the three blinks/cutting to 24A all the time. I wonder if a sensor just gets "worn out" over time, if that is possible. I sort of expect this new one to do the same as the old one after a few weeks of use. But I will hope for the best.

If it doesn't work again, I wonder if instead of switching to a NEMA, we could get the Gen 2 HPWC with the thicker cord.

EDIT - just checked, it's on 8.58 now, too. It was 8.55 when I installed it.

The overheating occurs for some reason, possibly a design problem. The firmware update does not fix the overheating problem, but lowers the charge rate from 48 to 24 amps when the unit overheats instead of stopping the charging altogether. That way the car eventually gets charged, but at half speed. I've seen this problem on my Model Y with three gen 3 wall connectors.

I have been using my WC gen 3 on 60A circuit and able charge at 48A little over 2 months. Today, my charger is having the issue like every one here. It dropped to 24A just with in 10min of charging :). The charging cable is not any warmer. the charger has the latest firmware. Weather is not that hot. I might have to call the Tesla support as well. My MS just received 32.x firmware few days ago.

I am having exact same issue. Went through Wi-Fi setup wizard again. Changed my settings to 50amp but now my max amps are 40 not 48. I’m sure it will overheat like before but much slower charging. Any updates on the threads? Is anyone getting consistent 48amp charger with no red lights. This is almost as bad as the Xbox ring of death. Also will the charger auto update it’s firmware to the most current? Need to get my ducks in a row before I call Tesla. Still better than No call of duty for weeks.... lol.

My Gen3 was installed 5 weeks ago, never connected to WiFi. Worked ok till a week ago - 3 red flashes alert, stopped charging. Our certified Tesla electrician was never told about the need for wifi connection (??).

Tesla support Finally (long wait!) admitted that my wall connector may have a bad internet card, and started a “trouble card” Gen3’s are out of stock, and the phone tech was hoping that updates to the connector would be configured via the car, not your home WiFi . Bummer service! 4 hours later, electrician reinstalling the box.....waiting on line for a tech (none over the weekend).

My Gen3 was installed 5 weeks ago, never connected to WiFi. Worked ok till a week ago - 3 red flashes alert, stopped charging. Our certified Tesla electrician was never told about the need for wifi connection (??).

Tesla support Finally (long wait!) admitted that my wall connector may have a bad internet card, and started a “trouble card” Gen3’s are out of stock, and the phone tech was hoping that updates to the connector would be configured via the car, not your home WiFi . Bummer service! 4 hours later, electrician reinstalling the box.....waiting on line for a tech (none over the weekend).

Setting up the WiFi is trivial - you can do it yourself in a few minutes. It's also surprising the tech said he wasn't told about it - it's literally required to connect to the unit's WiFi to configure what size breaker was installed (although it defaults to 60A service/48A charging). If you don't have the quick start guide that came with the wall connector, you would need to pop off the 4 hex bolts on the top and bottom of the faceplate and pull it off, to see the WiFi info on the sticker inside. If you do have the quick start guide, there's a QR code sticker on the front. Hold down your charge handle's button for 5 seconds, OR flip your wall connector's breaker off and back on. Use your phone to scan for WiFi networks and select the option to scan the QR code, or just connect and type in the password that's on that sticker. Browse to the wall connector's IP address and run the quick start wizard. The only two steps are to set the breaker capacity, and tell it your home WiFi network name and password. After that, it will connect to your home WiFi and get updates.

What will likely happen once you configure the WiFi is that it will download a firmware update to 08.58, one change in it appears to be that instead of simply stopping charging when the temp rises, it will drop to 24A so that at least you finish charging. Ultimately, though, it seems like the issue is an overly trigger-happy thermistor in the wand that makes the device think it's overheating more than it is. (Separately, there are reports of some users' cords ACTUALLY getting too hot, so there may also be a tolerance or design issue on some units.)

Reactions: zone121
furthermore, the original gen 1 WC I bought with my 2013 Sig S85 that I had installed in a 100A circuit (for the dual chargers @ 80A) is still working perfectly, although we sold that house a year ago to a new owner! Tesla got the engineering right the first time.

I occasionally enjoyed the 80A charge rate but that was back before super chargers were as ubiquitous and starting a trip at 95% was very helpful on certain mornings.

It was built like the proverbial tank!

furthermore, the original gen 1 WC I bought with my 2013 Sig S85 that I had installed in a 100A circuit (for the dual chargers @ 80A) is still working perfectly, although we sold that house a year ago to a new owner! Tesla got the engineering right the first time.
FWIW one of the techs told me, as we were talking about this issue, that the Gen 1 and Gen 2 were outsourced, while Gen 3 is a Tesla-designed product, so someone else got the engineering right.

Frustrating. I wish I had gotten a Gen 1 or Gen 2 too, instead of the current model. My replacement is still working at 48A but I have only done 3 or 4 charges on it, none more than 1.5 hours. Just not a lot of driving lately.

Also, to Greenmiles above - don’t change your box settings to 50A, turn down the amperage in the car. Once it broke, my old unit would charge happily at 36A but no higher.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
It has been a while since I looked inside my wall connector, (Gen 2), but I do not recall any components in there that really would dissipate any significant amount of heat. Primarily as I recall it is a large contactor, (relay), and some logic circuitry to control the contactor. The cord to the vehicle of course acts as a large distributed resistor and will dissipate heat. Mine gets a little warm, and over time will conduct some of that heat back into the wall connector itself, which makes it SLIGHTLY warm to the touch., with the cord, (20ft), being somewhat warmer. With reports of blistered cords I suspect Tesla has used smaller conductors in the cord to make it smaller, lower cost to them, but increased it's resistance which creates more heat in the cord, which then migrates to the charger, and vehicle connector where it appears a thermistor is located to detect over heating of the cord.

Reactions: kayak1

I occasionally enjoyed the 80A charge rate but that was back before super chargers were as ubiquitous and starting a trip at 95% was very helpful on certain mornings.

It was built like the proverbial tank!
still don't get what the need was to go from Gen 2 to gen 3. but yea - we'd have been hosed on several occasions if we couldn't have charged the X at 72 amps.
The overheating occurs for some reason, possibly a design problem. The firmware update does not fix the overheating problem, but lowers the charge rate from 48 to 24 amps when the unit overheats instead of stopping the charging altogether. That way the car eventually gets charged, but at half speed. I've seen this problem on my Model Y with three gen 3 wall connect
LOL !! sorry - but that reminds me how all too often Tesla solves problems ... the "CS" way. Kind of like throttling & capping supercharger speeds when they OTA fix battery capacity degridation liklihood issues.
better hope the wall power "fix" actually fixes it, otherwise Tesla's next fix may be to dropp charging down to 3.6kW's
;)
I suppose someone could ask the SC why it was that our older HPWC could handle 72 amps with no issue, yet the new version? Not so much. of course, be prepared to get 6 different answers from 5 different service centers.

Kinda curious .... don't many tesla owners know they CAN buy older/non-over heating units? we got ours, brand new, including shipping, for $350. here's a typical / similar ebay listing that successfully completed, albeit not as great a price as we got.

Tesla Wall Charger 24' Cable 80amp 240V 2nd Gen | eBay

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Having the exact same issues. After one month, the three red lights and charge stopping, cord warm at unit. Customer service agent was a star and fixed via firmware and then one week later new issue blinking red and then transitioning to green-still charges, however, but very slow and cord warm again. Had my electrician come out before after the first issue. Not sure why they haven't notified all of us-very frustrating.