Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector gen3 overheating fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same issue here. My HPWC worked fine at 48A for about 1 month, then began dropping current to half the initial rate regardless of if I started at 48, 40, 36, etc. Usually after 20-40 minutes depending on start current. The cutbacks were random at first, just once-in-a-while, then became progressively more frequent until it was happening 100% of the time. Typical of a failing electronic component. New FW 1.42 did not resolve the issue. I received a new HPWC today and the PN is 1457768-01-G, so hopefully the "G" indicates a hardware revision that fixes the problem (the prior unit was "F").

Reactions: Garnetter
Same issue here. My HPWC worked fine at 48A for about 1 month, then began dropping current to half the initial rate regardless of if I started at 48, 40, 36, etc. Usually after 20-40 minutes depending on start current. The cutbacks were random at first, just once-in-a-while, then became progressively more frequent until it was happening 100% of the time. Typical of a failing electronic component. New FW 1.42 did not resolve the issue. I received a new HPWC today and the PN is 1457768-01-G, so hopefully the "G" indicates a hardware revision that fixes the problem (the prior unit was "F").
@scissorfighter How long did it take for you to get your new unit?

While I am waiting for my Model S LR+ to be built and delivered I've been researching home charging methods. Is the consensus that it Gen 3 will work at a lower amperage (say 32 or 24) without issue? I dont mind charging at a slower rate until a permanent fix is discovered. I dont want to get "stuck" at home and not be able to charge (other than a standard outlet) so its either this or try and find a reasonably priced Gen 2 charger.

Is the consensus that it Gen 3 will work at a lower amperage (say 32 or 24) without issue?.

My experience with the defective unit was that it would always drop down to 1/2 the initial charging rate, and charge at the reduced rate until completion. Starting at 48A always resulted in dropping to 24A and charging until complete. And it’s probably safe to say that not all units suffer the issue, especially new ones.

Reactions: GoCardz
My experience with the defective unit was that it would always drop down to 1/2 the initial charging rate, and charge at the reduced rate until completion. Starting at 48A always resulted in dropping to 24A and charging until complete. And it’s probably safe to say that not all units suffer the issue, especially new ones.

Thank you. My predicament, while I wait for my MS, is whether to order a Gen 3 Wall connector ($500) from Tesla or install a 14-50 outlet and purchase a corded mobile connector with the 14-50 ($520 new, around $380-$400 gently used) for home charging. If there's a good chance that the latest Wall Connector hardware is good and will reliably charge at 48A then that's the route I would prefer, but I really dont want to have a bunch of charging issues that make my first few weeks or months owning a Tesla a PITA. I get a "feeling" that Tesla has figured out the problem and is resolving it for people who experience issues (seems like replacement hardware and the latest firmware are getting people back to reliable 48A charging). I guess I am looking for confirmation from those that have had the issue that it appears to be resolved or confirmation that this is definitely not fixed and it getting a working unit is more about getting lucky than anything else.

Also, when will Tesla contact owners of the defective units? Are there dangers with using the defective chargers? Can it degrade my car's battery faster?
My husband received a call from Tesla today that they are sending me a new unit! I had not even contacted them yet to tell them that this was the final outcome that needed to happen since I’ve been having this issue since June and no software updates were fixing it. I’m still in shock that they called out of the blue, but am very happy that they are doing the right thing!

Reactions: All In
Omg I just ordered a Gen 3 WC. I have a Gen 2 new-in-box. Should I hang it instead?? Jeez ....
As mentioned in previous posts, the gen 2 WCs have many benefits over the gen 3 WCs. They can charge at up to 80 amps (depending on the car), can be load-balanced (convenient if you have multiple Teslas) and most have longer charging cables than the gen 3, allowing more flexible installation options. They also aren't systemically prone to overheating. Currently, we have three gen 2 WCs and there aren't really any reasons to go with gen 3 over gen 2.

Same issue. Called. Sent me a new wall connector. I changed it. Same issue. Called. Said firmware will upgrade in 2 hours. Checked next day. Same issue but Firmware was updated. Called again said there’s a new firmware update. Check again tomorrow. Checked again. Firmware updated. Same issue. View attachment 603648
No news yet. Still charging at 50%....called Tesla and they said they are raising it to level 2 support. Wait for a call back in 7-10 business days. Waiting...

Well that’s not very encouraging! That totally sucks. I finally had my electrician come out yesterday and check his work. There were no issues but he went ahead and pulled new wire. He used 6 thhn copper. Called today and got firmware update of 1.421. Came home tonight, set my amps on the car to 40A (wall charger set to 50A). Plugged in. Lasted for about 30 min and now I have 3 red blinking lights AND the green charging lights at the same time. So it automatically lowered the car amps down to 34 from 40. Faceplate on the charging unit is slightly warm and the cable coming out the bottom is slightly warm. Nothing else is warm. But the fact remains that I am not getting the product that was sold to me. I will call again next week to get a new charger. You just never know!
They’re sending me a 3rd charger and this time want the entire unit to be replaced. Last time they said just the faceplate. Called my electrician and they’ll come swap it out once it arrives. Fingers crossed. This was level 2 support after I called them back since I didn’t hear from them after “7-10 days.”