Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector gen3 overheating fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably what you did, but to be sure, after firmware update: To check or change the configuration of the wall connector: you must either reset the breaker or press the button on the wall connector handle for 5 to 10 seconds for the wall connector to enable its own time limited WiFi network. Then you must connect your WiFi to this time-limited WiFi network ID using your phone or computer within 5 minutes. Its SSID will look something like: "TeslaWallConnector_9595994". Then you must connect to the wall connector on its network by entering 192.168.92.1 in your web browser. This is the only way you can configure the wall connector or really check it out.

Remember to reconnect you phone or computer back to your normal WiFi network when you are finished configuring the Wall Connector.

Last edited:
Probably what you did, but to be sure, after firmware update: To check or change the configuration of the wall connector: you must either reset the breaker or press the button on the wall connector handle for 5 to 10 seconds for the wall connector to enable its own time limited WiFi network. Then you must connect your WiFi to this time-limited WiFi network ID using your phone or computer within 5 minutes. Its SSID will look something like: "TeslaWallConnector_9595994". Then you must connect to the wall connector on its network by entering 192.168.92.1 in your web browser. This is the only way you can configure the wall connector or really check it out.

Remember to reconnect you phone or computer back to your normal WiFi network when you are finished configuring the Wall Connector.
Yes, this is exactly what I did. WiFi connected, but never made it past the loading page, except for the very first time, when I was able to update it to the latest firmware.

Reactions: DerbyDave
My experience in case it helps anyone. I had the Tesla Wall Connector 18FT installed around August 2021. Had no issue until early May 2022. I plugged it in and saw the red lights on the charger, and the car wouldn’t charge. The Tesla in car dashboard said the charger was overheating. It was not a particularly hot day. Certainly had much hotter days previously. Also hadn’t used the charger since the previous day, so that wasn’t it.

I googled a bunch of stuff and stumbled upon this and other posts. Other posts also said that it is potentially a known defect with certain wall connectors and Tesla will replace under warranty without issue. Before calling Tesla, I spent some time doing the on/off circuit breaker thing. I even got a cold damp cloth and wrapped around the wall unit/charging handle, just in case it was actually overheating. It wasn’t.

When I called Tesla support, they were quickly receptive to it and explained they would first push through a firmware update and see if that would fix it. I believe they said to wait six hours or so. I waited about eight hours and connected to the wall connector 192.168 thing per the instruction manual and confirmed I had the latest software version. They would also send me an email at the same time asking for certain pictures to get the unit replaced under warranty if that did not work. They wanted pictures of the wall connector, charging handle, electric box circuit breaker, and a pic of the wall connector with the faceplate taken off so they could see the wiring done behind it. I thought I needed an electrician to come back and install, but really, the electrical stuff didn’t need changing. I just had to unscrew four screws and replace the wall unit that slips right into the wiring backplate that stays on the wall. Super easy.

I sent the pictures via email and followed up two days later. The person said they didn’t get the email. I forwarded to a new email and she said it is now in processing. I followed up two days later and a new person told me the previous person didn’t finish the request, and now this guy did it. This person informed that I would receive an email within 1-2 days with an order confirm for a brand new wall connector unit, and within 1-2 days after that, I would get the FedEx tracking number. Each time I spoke to a Tesla rep, I asked for expedited shipping. I explained that we are a Tesla only household, and trickle charging sucks. After speaking with the third person, I got the order confirm the next day and the FedEx tracking number the day after that, like the guy said. Unfortunately, it was not expedited. Altogether, from the day it broke and I called Tesla, I got the new unit in hand two weeks later. No real complaint except that it shouldn’t have taken three calls, and they should have expedited (I even offered to pay for the expedite fee). The new unit was the 24FT long cable that they currently sell on the online store. I was really happy with that, the extra 6FT really helps reach spots on our driveway for charging.

Hope this helps.

I have two gen 3 wall connectors installed. I have a new MXP that I recently got and a MY on order. The one closest to my MXP has the 3 red light issue. Call this WC1. The one that will be used by the MY, the cable of which will reach my MXP, and when connected to the MXP, has no problem. Call this WC2.

So what could be the problem? The user guide says to check the connections of the wires to the plastic base to which the wall connector plugs in to. I did that and they are very tight. And it says to check the size of the wire. It is #6, with a 60 amp breaker, and it is commissioned for 48 amps.

So I swapped the wall connectors by removing WC1 from its base and WC2 from its base and swapping them. I really expected the problem to stay with the WC, but it did not. The problem stayed with the WC that is closest to my MXP, which was formerly installed for the future MY!

This tells me the problem is with the base, and that it is not a software issue.

Any comments, ideas, or suggestions?

Thanks!

I have two gen 3 wall connectors installed. I have a new MXP that I recently got and a MY on order. The one closest to my MXP has the 3 red light issue. Call this WC1. The one that will be used by the MY, the cable of which will reach my MXP, and when connected to the MXP, has no problem. Call this WC2.

So what could be the problem? The user guide says to check the connections of the wires to the plastic base to which the wall connector plugs in to. I did that and they are very tight. And it says to check the size of the wire. It is #6, with a 60 amp breaker, and it is commissioned for 48 amps.

So I swapped the wall connectors by removing WC1 from its base and WC2 from its base and swapping them. I really expected the problem to stay with the WC, but it did not. The problem stayed with the WC that is closest to my MXP, which was formerly installed for the future MY!

This tells me the problem is with the base, and that it is not a software issue.

Any comments, ideas, or suggestions?

Thanks!
Is it copper wire?

Also I know the instructions say 6 awg wire is sufficient. However I know a lot of folks that have used 4 awg wire and I haven't heard anyone with 4 awg wire have any overheating issues/3 red light issues. I would try to re-wire it if possible. If it's less than 2 years old you could also try to get it replaced under warranty.

Is it copper wire?

Also I know the instructions say 6 awg wire is sufficient. However I know a lot of folks that have used 4 awg wire and I haven't heard anyone with 4 awg wire have any overheating issues/3 red light issues. I would try to re-wire it if possible. If it's less than 2 years old you could also try to get it replaced under warranty.
sorry it's a 4 year warranty on gen 3.

Is it copper wire?

I found the problem! One of the wires was pushed too far into the terminal and whilst there was enough contact for the WC to operate under no load, once the load increased obviously the contact with the terminals started heating up.

IMG_1087.JPG

Kudos to Tesla for putting sensors in the WC to detect this problem.

I simply stripped the wires slightly longer and reattached them. Problem has been solved and have had no problems for over 2 weeks now.

In this second photo you can see that the black wire had been properly inserted into the terminal, whereas the red wire had been inserted too far. The area where the terminal had contact with the wire is now exposed since I trimmed off a bit of the insulation.

IMG_1088.JPG

Shame on the electrician who installed this.

:mad:Previous Tesla Model 3 owner and currently have a 2023 Chevy Bolt. I recently replaced my ten year old plus Leviton 40A EVSE with the Tesla HPWC 3rd Gen, J1772 model. My Chevy Bolt charges Level 2 max of 11.5kw. The Tesla HPWC is a bargain compared to many other inferior, over priced EVSEs on the market. Within several weeks, I'm having the flashing red light issue. I contacted Tesla support, they ran a diagnostic check and verified a defective HPWC, and sent a replacement. I replaced it this past weekend. Within hours of charging, I'm experiencing the same red light issue. Again I spoke to Tech support, diagnosed a bad HPWC and sending a third. This thread is three years old, and still bad HPWC being sold? I checked and double checked installation, proper wire, tightness of connections. HPWC is overheating. I have little confidence that the third new HPWC will work flawlessly. Any suggestions?

tcharge.jpg

Reactions: unctarheels
:mad:Previous Tesla Model 3 owner and currently have a 2023 Chevy Bolt. I recently replaced my ten year old plus Leviton 40A EVSE with the Tesla HPWC 3rd Gen, J1772 model. My Chevy Bolt charges Level 2 max of 11.5kw. The Tesla HPWC is a bargain compared to many other inferior, over priced EVSEs on the market. Within several weeks, I'm having the flashing red light issue. I contacted Tesla support, they ran a diagnostic check and verified a defective HPWC, and sent a replacement. I replaced it this past weekend. Within hours of charging, I'm experiencing the same red light issue. Again I spoke to Tech support, diagnosed a bad HPWC and sending a third. This thread is three years old, and still bad HPWC being sold? I checked and double checked installation, proper wire, tightness of connections. HPWC is overheating. I have little confidence that the third new HPWC will work flawlessly. Any suggestions?

View attachment 939128
😒This is a follow-up to my defective HPWC post. I received my second replacement Tesla Gen 3 J1772 HPWC this week. With little confidence in this product, I decided to reduce the amperage and replaced my 60A circuit breaker with a 50A, along with a 50A setting in the commissioning process. Installed the new HPWC and charged my Bolt to 90% without issues. I did notice the circuit breaker is still warm to the touch along with the HPWC charge cable. Fairly mild temperature day. The real test will be on hot summer days. I'm disappointed with my Gen 3 HPWC experience. I'm a firm believer in charging my EVs at the fastest possible speed. Tesla tech support was very quick to send replacements without issues. I'll monitor future use.

• Informative
Reactions: TBrownTX and kayak1
Ok. The engineer in me is gonna drive me nuts if I keep staring at this. What do we believe to be the normal operating temperature of the gen 3 when charging at 48A. I have the wall monitor app measuring the PCB, Handle, etc. As well as a temperature gun.

I have read the trip temperature (three red lights) to be ~200F on the PCB and 110F on the handle. Agree?

Regardless of that, what do we see as nominal during 48A charging for multiple hours (evened out steady state)?

Find the IP address of your Wall Connector and you can monitor the vitals of the unit, including the pcba_temp, handle_temp, mcu_temp, and other interesting values. The unit will throw an error and/or shut down on any temperatures are out of value. In your browser address, enter: <the ip address of your unit>/api/1/vitals. For example,

My Wall Connector returns:
{"contactor_closed":false,"vehicle_connected":true,"session_s":45691,"grid_v":243.7,"grid_hz":59.966,"vehicle_current_a":0.0,"currentA_a":0.0,"currentB_a":0.0,"currentC_a":0.0,"currentN_a":0.0,"voltageA_v":2.1,"voltageB_v":2.1,"voltageC_v":2.1,"relay_coil_v":12.0,"pcba_temp_c":23.9,"handle_temp_c":24.3,"mcu_temp_c":28.5,"uptime_s":445964,"input_thermopile_uv":-139,"prox_v":1.5,"pilot_high_v":0.1,"pilot_low_v":0.1,"session_energy_wh":3391.300,"config_status":5,"evse_state":9,"current_alerts":[]}