Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector - Hard Wired or Pigtail?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was attempting to make the argument that the requirements that (1) garage outlets be GFCI protected and that (2) the WC circuit not be served by a circuit with a GFCI breaker are at odds with each other and therefore the only logical conclusion is that wall Connectors must be hard wired. It sounds like you agree.

40 amps through an outlet makes me nervous due to heating from contact resistance. That’s one reason I prefer the hardwired option.
I agree with you; however, when I plug a Camco PowerGrip 10-50 plug into a Camco 10-50 receptacle it takes considerable force to unplug. This would be even harder if the neutral was installed in both of these Camco units. When you mate one of the blade pins before installation into the housings, you can see it is well engineered. The method of attaching the, up to 4 gauge wires, is also well engineered. Unfortunately, It would not be easy to examine the engineering of a 10-50 in wall receptacle. I have performed a test of the Camco plug/receptical combo at 48A for two hours and both were cool to the touch for the entire time.