Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector: Hard wiring Vs NEMA 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve my Tesla Model Y delivery date finalized and now I’m exploring the options for charging. I ordered Tesla Wall Connector and thinking to connect to NEMA 14-50 for flexibility. Appreciate if I get response to following questions.

• I understand that 60 Amp hard-wired wall connector works best, however, what are the cons of installing NEMA 14-50 with 50 Amp wire? Appreciate if someone let me know how slow the charging will be if Tesla Wall Connector is connected to NEMA 14-50 (50 Amp)
  • Assuming I opt for NEMA 14-50, would it affect the installation rebate or any State/Federal(?) rebate? One electrician said if I do not opt for hard wiring, the rebate can be denied. Is it true?
  • Any EV rebates available to apply for state of MD (Montgomery County)?
TIA

So if it is a 14-30 circuit is it safe to use with my Tesla mobile connector……can I dial down on the charging software to provide at 30 amp charging or perhaps lower? I realize charging times will increase….
I take delivery of MYLR tomorrow and moving into the new home in 30 days
If this is an existing, more than X years old, 14-30 receptacle it should be inspected and replaced as needed as receptacles do corrode, loosen and wear out over time. The Tesla Mobile Connector kit comes with a NEMA 5-15 power plug adapter that fits a standard household 15 amp rated receptacle. You would need to purchase the Tesla NEMA 14-30 power plug adapter for the Tesla Mobile Connector ($45) from Tesla.com online store. The Tesla Mobile Connector will automatically limit charging to 24 amps when fitted with the NEMA 14-30 power plug. 24 amps is the maximum allowed charging amperage when using a 30 amp rated circuit.

Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector NEMA Adapters

When using the Tesla Mobile Connector at home install a wall mounting bracket for the Mobile Connector electronics chassis. Tesla sells a Cable Organizer kit ($35) that includes a cable hanger for the charging cord and a wall mounting bracket for the Mobile Connector electronics chassis. You can find similar cable organizer kits on Amazon, eBay or improvise your own support for the Mobile Connector. Do not let the Mobile Connector electronics chassis hang supported by the power plug adapter.

Cable Organizer

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Definitely recommend four things for safety:
1.Take the outlet apart and check the gauge of the wire, confirm proper gauge for the amps planned and change if necessary
2.Replace the outlet with industrial grade like Hubble, expect to pay approx $70-100
3.Don’t waste money on GFCI breaker or outlet for its built into the Tesla MCU
4.Get the MCU and handle mount kit, nice looking install and protects the MCU

Attachments

• 1687280555685.png
    1687280555685.png
    84.4 KB · Views: 86
Upvote 0
3.Don’t waste money on GFCI breaker or outlet for its built into the Tesla MCU
I would not give this advice, given in most states, GFCI breakers are required by code for a EVSE socket. This was introduced in 2017 NEC, you will see a vast majority of states have already adopted it, even moving on to 2020 NEC (only 7 states have not adopted 2017 or 2020 NEC):
NECInEffect2123.ashx

It is not there to protect you on the charging end, it is there to protect you if you happen to contact the prongs on the outlet end. The built in GFCI in the Mobile Connector does nothing to protect you from that.

Upvote 0
Seems GFCIs are a problem with the Tesla Gen 3

Right from the Gen 3 PDF

“Tesla Circuit Breaker Rating / Maximum Output
Power Output
For maximum power output, install a standard double pole 60 amp circuit breaker. Wall Connector includes integrated GFCI protection - do not install a GFCI circuit breaker”

Attachments

• 1687289536715.png
    1687289536715.png
    150.4 KB · Views: 35
Upvote 0
You are interested is connecting the Tesla Wall Connector Gen 3 with a 14-50 outlet?
I don’t see that version for sale
I have 2x gen 3’s installed and both hard wired
There are only two wall connector versions for sale with unique handles:
NACS/Tesla
Or J1772

Upvote 0
Seems GFCIs are a problem with the Tesla Gen 3

Right from the Gen 3 PDF

“Tesla Circuit Breaker Rating / Maximum Output
Power Output
For maximum power output, install a standard double pole 60 amp circuit breaker. Wall Connector includes integrated GFCI protection - do not install a GFCI circuit breaker”
You were talking about MCU which I presumed to mean Mobile Connector. If going hardwired obviously this doesn't apply, but in context outlets were being discussed.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
I looked back at the post start and it just said Tesla Wall Connector which also has GFCI built in

For the Mobile Wall Connector use industrial grade GFCI outlet
The second GFCI requirement, for use case #2, is for the receptacle and protects the user when plugging and unplugging the equipment from the power grid. This is in addition to the internal GFCI, for the first use case, that protects the user when connecting and disconnecting the charging connector from the plug-in or electric vehicle (Tesla, all manufacturers of EVSE include GFCI for the first use case). As there is no GFCI receptacle currently made for over 20 amp receptacles, i.e. for 30 amp or 50 amp receptacles (including 14-30, 14-50 and 6-50 receptacles) the only solution is to install a GFCI circuit breaker.

Use case #3 will require GFCI protection for outdoor hard wired electrical equipment. This will apply to HVAC compressors and would even apply to the Tesla Wall Connector when installed outdoors, i.e. not in an enclosed garage. Fun times ahead.

Upvote 0