Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector: Hard wiring Vs NEMA 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve my Tesla Model Y delivery date finalized and now I’m exploring the options for charging. I ordered Tesla Wall Connector and thinking to connect to NEMA 14-50 for flexibility. Appreciate if I get response to following questions.

• I understand that 60 Amp hard-wired wall connector works best, however, what are the cons of installing NEMA 14-50 with 50 Amp wire? Appreciate if someone let me know how slow the charging will be if Tesla Wall Connector is connected to NEMA 14-50 (50 Amp)
  • Assuming I opt for NEMA 14-50, would it affect the installation rebate or any State/Federal(?) rebate? One electrician said if I do not opt for hard wiring, the rebate can be denied. Is it true?
  • Any EV rebates available to apply for state of MD (Montgomery County)?
TIA

You're talking about a charging speed difference of 40A vs 48A. Not a whole lot in the grand scheme. But, 14-50 isn't technically an approved wiring method for this device, it is designed to be hard-wired. You might have trouble finding an electrician that will connect it to a receptacle vs. hard wiring it.

You can always install a 14-50 receptacle down the road if for some reason you need to remove the Tesla charger, then downgrade the breaker to a 50A using the 60A-capable wiring.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ogre and Rocky_H
Upvote 0
I will preface my responses with I'm from Colorado so my information on rebates are different from yours:
1) I am running a Nema 14-50 to charge my Model 3 and another 14-50 to charge our Model Y. I find this adds somewhere in the range of 30 ish miles per hour of charge and is completely sufficient for our driving and charging needs. My vehicles came with Mobile adapters and I find no need or compelling reason to change to a Tesla Wall Charger.
2) I was able to receive my wiring rebate through my local electricity provider, without issue
3) No idea LOL.

Upvote 0
You're talking about a charging speed difference of 40A vs 48A. Not a whole lot in the grand scheme. But, 14-50 isn't technically an approved wiring method for this device, it is designed to be hard-wired. You might have trouble finding an electrician that will connect it to a receptacle vs. hard wiring it.

You can always install a 14-50 receptacle down the road if for some reason you need to remove the Tesla charger, then downgrade the breaker to a 50A using the 60A-capable wiring.
Thanks for prompt response. So the suggestion came from electrician to connect wall charger to receptacle. My circuit supports 60 A, but for this it needs to be 50 A. Since I need more flexibility ( i.e. if I move out or buy non-Tesla EV) I'm looking for best way to avoid further cost down the road

Thanks

Upvote 0
Thanks for prompt response. So the suggestion came from electrician to connect wall charger to receptacle. My circuit supports 60 A, but for this it needs to be 50 A. Since I need more flexibility ( i.e. if I move out or buy non-Tesla EV) I'm looking for best way to avoid further cost down the road

Thanks
The difference in price is significant, even if the shady electrician says its fine. You need to get a 50 amp GFCI circuit breaker($100-$150), plus a not-crappy 14-50 outlet($50-100), and the box/faceplate($10-20), and the 14-50 pigtail to attach to the HPWC($25 or somesuch).

Upvote 0
I’ve my Tesla Model Y delivery date finalized and now I’m exploring the options for charging. I ordered Tesla Wall Connector and thinking to connect to NEMA 14-50 for flexibility. Appreciate if I get response to following questions.

• I understand that 60 Amp hard-wired wall connector works best, however, what are the cons of installing NEMA 14-50 with 50 Amp wire? Appreciate if someone let me know how slow the charging will be if Tesla Wall Connector is connected to NEMA 14-50 (50 Amp)
  • Assuming I opt for NEMA 14-50, would it affect the installation rebate or any State/Federal(?) rebate? One electrician said if I do not opt for hard wiring, the rebate can be denied. Is it true?
TIA
Use #6 2 strand with a ground. It is about $7.00 per foot. Put a 50 amp breaker in. I charge at just 25 amps to conserve battery.

Upvote 0
I did something similar -- I had a 6-50 outlet that I was using with the mobile connector. I added a cord and 6-50 plug to the wall connector and plugged it in to the plug (making sure to turn the wall connector down to 40 amps). It has been working like this for over 2 years. I've checked the cord I added and it doesn't seem to get too hot to the touch after many hours of charging.

Upvote 0
Since I need more flexibility ( i.e. if I move out or buy non-Tesla EV) I'm looking for best way to avoid further cost down the road
I think you said it yourself. If you need flexibility, then the 14-50 socket/plug are the way to go since it is easy to disconnect. But as noted above, the 14-50 socket is more expensive than a hard wired connection.
If it were up to me, since I never remove my EVSE, it would go hard wired and use 6 gauge THHN wire. This does require conduit but is more "future proof".

Upvote 0
I ordered Tesla Wall Connector and thinking to connect to NEMA 14-50 for flexibility.
Sigh. No. Pick one of those, but don't dink around with violating code trying to do both of those together. The wall connector is supposed to be a hard wired device.

I understand that 60 Amp hard-wired wall connector works best, however, what are the cons of installing NEMA 14-50 with 50 Amp wire?
It is literally a violation of electric code. Code has kind of a blanket catch-all that you need to connect an appliance according to its manufacturer's instructions. It is built to be a hard wired device, and does not have the proper lugs that are made for the fine stranded wire that those external cord and plugs usually have. And the other con is that you are introducing extra weak connections of the plug and socket that are not screw tightened, so it's a bit looser and more resistive, which is going to be more heat and risk long term.

Assuming I opt for NEMA 14-50, would it affect the installation rebate or any State/Federal(?) rebate? One electrician said if I do not opt for hard wiring, the rebate can be denied. Is it true?
There shouldn't be any issue there with federal ones, since they are pretty blanket about any cost of material and labor for whatever you spend enabling charging. Which type of equipment it is isn't relevant or a qualifying factor.
Since I need more flexibility ( i.e. if I move out or buy non-Tesla EV)
There is already a lot of flexibility there. It's not like a wall connector is cemented into the wall. It's still very easy to unscrew it and change to something else whenever you need to. This is not a good reason to do a bad installation to start with.

I think you said it yourself. If you need flexibility, then the 14-50 socket/plug are the way to go since it is easy to disconnect.
A wall connector is easy to disconnect anyway. But if someone wants to choose to do a 14-50 outlet, that can be a fine choice, but one needs to do it appropriately, i.e. NOT with a wall connector. You would have to use the more expensive GFCI breaker that @Sophias_dad mentioned, and use a mobile charging cable plugged into it.

Upvote 0

TIA
FWIW I used a Tesla recommended NJ licensed electrician that had previously installed many Tesla chargers. He applied for the local permits, did an excellent job, filed the required load/data form with NJ PSE&G and I qualified and received my PSE&G $1500 rebate.
Check with your local utility for any EV rebates.

Attachments

• Garage HPWC IMG_8089.JPG
    Garage HPWC IMG_8089.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 543
Upvote 0
Seems a bit sketchy to attach WC to a 14-50, since it wasn't made for it.

There are heaps of good 14-50 plug boxes out there.
So I've got a grizzl-e on the way now because it seems like I'm not getting a mobile connector on delivery, and the wifey wants to get non-Tesla soon (i4) :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
For what it's worth, you used to be able to buy the wall connector with the 14-50 plug attached to it. You can see it if you google it. There are some for sale on ebay for upwards of $1,000 dollars now though.

So, it's not entirely correct to say that it wasn't designed for it -- at least to say the 2nd gen wasn't.

Upvote 0
Hard wired is the way to go for a permanent home charger install. There is zero reason to use a 14-50 or a 6-50. Your limiting charging speed and adding an additional failure point to the system. Code also requires GFCI breaker if you use a 14-50 and that’s not required if you hard wire it. I have talked about this many times in many threads. Tesla actually recommends a hard wired charger.

Rebate is not affected by how you install the charger. Not an accountant but I do know the funds for the MD rebate have been exhausted for the past year or two. I have Potomac Edison but I believe BGE and other utilities are the same. They have rebate programs but only for certain chargers (Juicebox and ChargePoint IIRC). Potomac ED does it if you have one of those chargers, and you charge off peake 11pm-7am . They give you amazon gift cards though and it really wasn’t worth it to me. Check with your utility for more details.

Upvote 0
Hard wired is the way to go for a permanent home charger install. There is zero reason to use a 14-50 or a 6-50. Your limiting charging speed and adding an additional failure point to the system. Code also requires GFCI breaker if you use a 14-50 and that’s not required if you hard wire it. I have talked about this many times in many threads. Tesla actually recommends a hard wired charger.

Rebate is not affected by how you install the charger. Not an accountant but I do know the funds for the MD rebate have been exhausted for the past year or two. I have Potomac Edison but I believe BGE and other utilities are the same. They have rebate programs but only for certain chargers (Juicebox and ChargePoint IIRC). Potomac ED does it if you have one of those chargers, and you charge off peake 11pm-7am . They give you amazon gift cards though and it really wasn’t worth it to me. Check with your utility for more details.
That is absolutely false. A good 14-50 installation is no more prone to failure than a hardwired wall charger. As far as loosing charging speed. I've never had a problem regaining whatever amount of charge I need overnight, the same I would accomplish with a wall charger.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
A good 14-50 installation is no more prone to failure than a hardwired wall charger.
Maybe on the very first insertion of the plug into the outlet its just as safe as the hardwired wall charger. After that plug is inserted and removed a hundred or a thousand times, it will start wearing out and heating up. I'd call that "more prone to failure". Sure the tolerable number of insertions goes up considerably with a quality receptacle, but its still going to get worse every single time the plug is inserted and removed.

If OP is dead set on an outlet, I'd just return the HPWC and use the UMC.

Upvote 0
Maybe on the very first insertion of the plug into the outlet its just as safe as the hardwired wall charger. After that plug is inserted and removed a hundred or a thousand times, it will start wearing out and heating up. I'd call that "more prone to failure". Sure the tolerable number of insertions goes up considerably with a quality receptacle, but its still going to get worse every single time the plug is inserted and removed.

If OP is dead set on an outlet, I'd just return the HPWC and use the UMC.
If it's for a home charger, it'll almost never be inserted or removed after installation (especially if OP is planning on adding a pigtail so will not be using it as a portable EVSE at all). If you get an industrial outlet, especially a beefy one like Bryant or Hubbell, it won't be an issue at all. The ones with problems are Leviton given they only contact half of the prongs.

As above the bigger problem is it violates code to add the pigtail given it does not match the instructions.

Upvote 0
That is absolutely false. A good 14-50 installation is no more prone to failure than a hardwired wall charger. As far as loosing charging speed. I've never had a problem regaining whatever amount of charge I need overnight, the same I would accomplish with a wall charger.
Contact pints and the plug are two things I have seen melt over the years and I’ve seen both. The receptacle has contact points inside and it’s a spot where arcing can occur. The plug itself can fail from poor manufacture and melt. Will it work, yes it will work, but it’s not worth installing it that way. It’s not like other applications which draw power for shorter periods.

Then there is the issues of nusciance tripping of the GFCI breaker. All of this is eliminated by hard wiring the charger. This is why it’s the best way to install it and why Tesla recommends the same.

If despite all this you decide to install a 14-50 anyway make sure you install a high quality industrial grade unit to reduce the risk.

Upvote 0
Just want to add that I will get permit of all the EV charging installation (either NEMA 14-50 or Hardwiring Wall Connector) and get it inspected from county personnel. I assume the electrician will follow the code compliance if I go with NEMA 14-50.
Yes they should follow that. If you do choose a 14-50 definitely keep an eye on it for signs of excessive heat and failure of the plug or receptacle. Also make sure when you comission the charger you limit it to 80% of the rating. For a 50 amp circuit that would be 40 amps.

Would highly recommend a hard wired install on a 60 amp circuit. It’s the best way to go for safety, reliability, and charging speed.

Upvote 0
Just want to add that I will get permit of all the EV charging installation (either NEMA 14-50 or Hardwiring Wall Connector) and get it inspected from county personnel. I assume the electrician will follow the code compliance if I go with NEMA 14-50.
Just to reiterate, there is no 14-50 option with the Tesla Wall Connector that 100% adheres to code. It is not designed for this, or permitted in the installation manual for this. You have to hardwire the wall connector, and that would be clear when the electrician opens up the unit anyways. They would essentially be retrofitting a cord.

"It is literally a violation of electric code. Code has kind of a blanket catch-all that you need to connect an appliance according to its manufacturer's instructions. It is built to be a hard wired device, and does not have the proper lugs that are made for the fine stranded wire that those external cord and plugs usually have."

There's no good reason to go 14-50 with this device since you can easily remove it and put a 14-50 in its place down the road if you ever needed to. But I'm not sure why you would - a Tesla to J1772 adapter can adapt the Tesla Wall Connector to be used on any electric vehicle.

Upvote 0