Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector - how much clearance needed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking at getting the Wall Connector installed in my garage but I'm concerned about how much clearance the actual connector needs as the garage is quite narrow. What I'd ideally like to know is how close can the car be to a wall and still have space to connect/disconnect the wall-connector 'wand'.

On a related note, how tight can a garage be before 'summon' gives up? At the narrowest point the opening is around 210cm wide.

Any help would be much appreciated!

I'm looking at getting the Wall Connector installed in my garage but I'm concerned about how much clearance the actual connector needs as the garage is quite narrow. What I'd ideally like to know is how close can the car be to a wall and still have space to connect/disconnect the wall-connector 'wand'.

On a related note, how tight can a garage be before 'summon' gives up? At the narrowest point the opening is around 210cm wide.

Any help would be much appreciated!

My HPWC sits about 13" from the wall. You could always mount it 5 feet or so above the ground for clearance. In either case I would worry about scratching the car with the cable if you don't have enough room to maneuver.

Thanks, the concern is more the connector itself and how much room is needed to physically manoeuvre it into the socket on the car.

I just installed the newest generation Wall Connector yesterday. The box itself extends 6 inches from the wall. As for charging...you could bend the cable and probably charge a car 14 inches away from the wall, but that is very tight. I would say you should have at least 18 inches. That said, I don't think you would be able to open the doors at that sort of distance.

Thanks that's useful. The problem in the UK is that charging socket is on the opposite side to the driver's door. I can have clearance on one side but not both.

I suppose if I summon every time I don't need access to the driver's door...
hopefully you're garage isn't as tight as this guy's! :)
(I love the way he gets out of his driver's door... is your garage layout like that?)
- if Model S summon would work in something like this, I'd really be impressed

Reactions: NullException
I believe that if you can squeeze yourself between the wall and the car, you have enough clearance.
Remember that the car width tapers near the tail and the port is very far back.
So the distance between the charge port and the wall is considerably larger compared to the distance between the widest part of the car and the wall..

Sorry to revive such an ancient topic. I have similar concerns about my model 3 coming next month. I'm in Japan where the charging port is also on the passenger side. How did your Model S fit in the end, theaxe?
Damn holy old thread batman! 😂

Anyway if you can fit next to the car to plug it in, then there is enough room for the plug. Also the plug cable sticks out about as far as the mirror does, so if the car fits there should be no reason the charge handle wont fit.