TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Wall Connector - how much clearance needed?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by theaxe, Jul 19, 2016.

1. theaxe

theaxe Member

I'm looking at getting the Wall Connector installed in my garage but I'm concerned about how much clearance the actual connector needs as the garage is quite narrow. What I'd ideally like to know is how close can the car be to a wall and still have space to connect/disconnect the wall-connector 'wand'.

On a related note, how tight can a garage be before 'summon' gives up? At the narrowest point the opening is around 210cm wide.

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. f-stop

f-stop Member

Can't answer your HPWC question but regarding summon - I can tell you summon can safely guide the car through my tight garage door, 236cm wide. Not as narrow as yours(!) but FYI

3. SoccerMan94043

My HPWC sits about 13" from the wall. You could always mount it 5 feet or so above the ground for clearance. In either case I would worry about scratching the car with the cable if you don't have enough room to maneuver.

4. theaxe

theaxe Member

Thanks, the concern is more the connector itself and how much room is needed to physically manoeuvre it into the socket on the car.

5. NickF

NickF 60D

I just installed the newest generation Wall Connector yesterday. The box itself extends 6 inches from the wall. As for charging...you could bend the cable and probably charge a car 14 inches away from the wall, but that is very tight. I would say you should have at least 18 inches. That said, I don't think you would be able to open the doors at that sort of distance.

6. theaxe

theaxe Member

Thanks that's useful. The problem in the UK is that charging socket is on the opposite side to the driver's door. I can have clearance on one side but not both.

I suppose if I summon every time I don't need access to the driver's door...

7. f-stop

f-stop Member

hopefully you're garage isn't as tight as this guy's! :)
    (I love the way he gets out of his driver's door... is your garage layout like that?)

- if Model S summon would work in something like this, I'd really be impressed

• Like x 1
  8. pdxrajiv

pdxrajiv Member

I believe that if you can squeeze yourself between the wall and the car, you have enough clearance.
    Remember that the car width tapers near the tail and the port is very far back.
    So the distance between the charge port and the wall is considerably larger compared to the distance between the widest part of the car and the wall..

9. theaxe

theaxe Member

That's good to hear, thanks. After doing some measurements I think it'll be fine but I'll get the longer lead on the wall charger just in case.