Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector - installation approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 Model 3, and a Gen 3 Wall Connector. I will have a 60 Amp / 240 breaker installed. 6/3 wire will be used from the breaker up and inside the wall, into the attic and over about 9 ft horizontal, down inside the wall to the location of the Wall Connector. From the electricians I spoke to so far, I can request either of the following two approaches.

Approach 1: wire directly from the breaker to the Wall Connector.
Approach 2: wire a receptacle, then wire a plug from the Wall Connector that can be plugged into the receptacle.

Aside from the esthetics, are there any compelling reason for either approach.

Thank you in advance, E

I believe it states it should only be hardwired... Not saying you technically can't do the other, just saying on page 2 of the installation manual it says:
WARNING: The Wall Connector must be grounded through a permanent wiring system or an equipment-grounding conductor
and on page 5 it says:
NOTE: External disconnect switches are neither required nor recommended (a plug isn't exactly the external disconnect they are talking about, but...)

Although some localities require a disconnect switch when the panel is too far away...

Anyway- I would go with the Hardwire just because that's what the book says.

Also one word of advice- make sure the wire is well stripped where it goes into the wire locks in the charger... if its even a little too short you'll received an overheat warning from the charger.

If you're having an electrician come out and already have the wall connector, it makes more sense to have him hardwire it. You will also get a faster charge, as the wall connector hard wired into a 60 amp circuit will deliver 48 amps. If the electrician were to install a 14-50 (50 amp outlet) then you would only charge at 40 amps. With that said, I personally have my wall connector pig-tailed into a 14-50 outlet, but that was only because I had the outlet installed with the plan of using the included UMC cable. Ended up getting a free wall connector with the old referral program, which is why I decided to wire in the pig-tail plug. Hope that makes sense.

NEMA 14-50 as a backup in case the Wall connector ever fails on me.

Attachments

• IMG_0269.JPG
    IMG_0269.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 2,419
NEMA 14-50 as a backup in case the Wall connector ever fails on me.

Interesting idea to have a NEMA 14-50 wired adjacent to the wall connector like that. Obviously, couldn't use the 14-50 and the HPWC at the time, but does it mean you can charge a non-Tesla vehicle from the 14-50 outlet from time to time if the HPWC is not in use?

I have a 2020 Model 3, and a Gen 3 Wall Connector. I will have a 60 Amp / 240 breaker installed. 6/3 wire will be used from the breaker up and inside the wall, into the attic and over about 9 ft horizontal, down inside the wall to the location of the Wall Connector. From the electricians I spoke to so far, I can request either of the following two approaches.

Approach 1: wire directly from the breaker to the Wall Connector.
Approach 2: wire a receptacle, then wire a plug from the Wall Connector that can be plugged into the receptacle.

Aside from the esthetics, are there any compelling reason for either approach
Thank you in advance, E
I agree with the other posters about not wiring a Wall Connector to an outlet.

However, when you were talking to the electricians it's possible you may have misinterpreted what they were saying.
Approach 1 is the normal way to wire a Wall Connector.
Approach 2 is the normal way to wire a Mobile Connector.

Approach 1 is the superior way to go if you have a Gen 3 Wall Connector. You can use the full 48 amp capacity.
Approach 2, usually with a NEMA 14-50 outlet, is the standard way to connect a lower capacity Mobile Connector. In other words, with a 240 outlet, you don't even have to buy a Wall Connector to charge your car. The Gen 2 Mobile Connector comes with your Model 3. The Gen 2 Mobile Connectors have a maximum capacity of 32 amps at 240 volts. You would have to purchase the $35 adapter to charge at 240 volts. The labor for an electrician to install an outlet is much less than the cost to install a Wall Connector because there is more to set up. The advantage in going with an outlet and a Mobile Connector is that you can save money if you are willing to live with a lower charging rate.

While wiring a Mobile Connector to an outlet is the normal approach, wiring a Wall Connector to an outlet is a dubious proposition.

My preference is to have a hard-wired Wall Connector for my normal day-to-day charging and to keep my Mobile Connector in my car for those rare instances where I might need it to connect to an outlet.

Larry