Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector installation cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the process of getting quotes for the installation of a wall connector and the quoted prices are all over the place. I have been exclusively been connecting with the recommended electricians on the Tesla site. But can anyone share what is reasonable for just the installation or what you paid?

I am in the GTA.

Depends on the circuit, 50A or the full monty, do you need a new panel. Lets assume a 90A circuit on a new house with 200A main and 100A Panel in the garage, probably shy of $500 for materials and labour to get the HPWC to the car. however an older house needing a upgraded srvice ($7000), and a 200 meter run to the 'charging' ($1000) would soon be meeting costs of $10,000
A little more information would be better in narrowing it down. Some places unfamiliar with whats required will price themselves out of the market, like insurance companiees giving ridicilously high quote so you go somewhere else. Have you got a quote from anyone who explained what was required and you felt good about, thats usually who will do the best job.

I had mine installed for $965, hpwc. Included 60A breaker and the run from the basement to the garage. Was on the higher side of the quotes I received but they were the only ones to come on site and provide a firm estimate. Price includes esa inspection. Job was clean and I'm happy with the result. The had two workers come (one electrician and an apprentice). The apprentice stayed behind to clean and vacuum. Very professional and explained everything they were doing. Electrical Works in Mississauga. I've included the completed job. The cable organization was completed by yours truly

Attachments

• 7ADCED8A-133B-446A-A3C5-A7D2391AC7E8.jpeg
    7ADCED8A-133B-446A-A3C5-A7D2391AC7E8.jpeg
    309.1 KB · Views: 473
My two cents worth on this topic. Plan for the unknown. I installed a 4 AWG wire (only a five foot run from the box) so that I could run the full 90 amps if needed. I've got mine dialed down to 50 amps because that's more than enough for an overnight charge and it preserves the battery using a slower rate. You never know what the future holds. Maybe you buy a second electric vehicle and want to chain two wall chargers together.

Not only is 3 AWG wire not cheap, it is extremely difficult to work with. Bending it inside the HPWC, if you are doing a back entry flush mount, will require some muscle, sweat, and cussing. I'm not sure the HPWC will handle the stress too well of a 3 AWG that's not bent properly. It's just a plastic box with a circuit board attached to the inside. So, maybe try to keep the run short enough for a maximum 4 AWG.

If you are not doing a back entry and using conduit, the install with be more straightforward and less time consuming. And 3 AWG won't be a problem.

Full of a lot of hot air this evening, I am.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tezzie
Again are you installing a HPWC or a 14-50 plug. What kind of amperage are you hoping to draw, 50ft of cable for a 90a circuit is going to cost a lot more than a 50a circuit. 6AWG is, as mentioned, easier much easier to work with than 3AWG.
TECK 3/3C 1KV - 1000V #3 AWG 3C Northern Cables TECK90 Armoured Cable, Black
$30 meter = $480

TECK 6/3C 1KV - 1000V #6 AWG 3C Northern Cables TECK90 Armoured Cable, Black
$18 meter = $288

If it costs $500 for labor on a 6AWG install then it’s going to be $1000 for 3AWG because it’s going to take twice as long.

What exactly are you getting quotes for because if you are being this vague to the contractors they may be quoting for very different services. If they know you only have a 40A charger on your car, then they may be quoting for a 50A circuit.

Personally I would ask them for 2 quotes, first for a 50A circuit and then for a 90A one. That way you exclude certain factors. And also have them list if they are using copper or aluminum. They only need to use copper from the kill switch to the HPWC so you may find some are quoting for the main run in Aluminium and copper from disconnect to the Connector.

I had mine installed for $965, hpwc. Included 60A breaker and the run from the basement to the garage. Was on the higher side of the quotes I received but they were the only ones to come on site and provide a firm estimate. Price includes esa inspection. Job was clean and I'm happy with the result. The had two workers come (one electrician and an apprentice). The apprentice stayed behind to clean and vacuum. Very professional and explained everything they were doing. Electrical Works in Mississauga. I've included the completed job. The cable organization was completed by yours truly
Where did you buy the Gecko Toes from? I can't seem to find a retailer that sells them.

My two cents worth on this topic. Plan for the unknown. I installed a 4 AWG wire (only a five foot run from the box) so that I could run the full 90 amps if needed. I've got mine dialed down to 50 amps because that's more than enough for an overnight charge and it preserves the battery using a slower rate. You never know what the future holds. Maybe you buy a second electric vehicle and want to chain two wall chargers together.

You can control charge rate from the car so it's fine to have the HPWC set to max. Comes in handy for visitors with an S or X.

Not only is 3 AWG wire not cheap, it is extremely difficult to work with. Bending it inside the HPWC, if you are doing a back entry flush mount, will require some muscle, sweat, and cussing. I'm not sure the HPWC will handle the stress too well of a 3 AWG that's not bent properly. It's just a plastic box with a circuit board attached to the inside. So, maybe try to keep the run short enough for a maximum 4 AWG.

My electrician did a bottom entry which was relatively easy as the connectors are oriented downwards. But yes, 3 awg copper is VERY hard to work with. I broke a sweat supervising! :D

I thought code required a manual disconnect for 60A service or above?

60A is on the cusp, because no one knows what breaker and charger you have. The regulations for above 14-50 or 50 amps is already in place, the wall connector is basically a huge GFCI with a pilot signal. I like 48A at 240v because it’s pretty much there with 205v 65A but with 6AWG wiring, but 6AWG wiring is easy to find, work with and usually used on hot tubs, so the disconnect is usually a GFCI circuit breaker in a pony panel in line of sight to the outlet. You can comfortably run it to a 14-50 and that does not need a disconnect. Did you get hosed, do you want a disconnect next to the connector, personally I like having the connector CB next to my HPWC, it means I can isolate quickly. I think everyone is still finding out what’s comfortable outside the 6AWG 14-50 and 3AWG 90A. There’s a middle ground that I’m sure will see more regulations the more people find that 240v makes up for a lack in Amps

• Informative
Reactions: oakvillemike