TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Wall Connector Installation Outdoors!

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Ojas Ray, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Ojas Ray

Ojas Ray Member

So in prepping for my MS - I had my wall connector installed outdoor. Unfortunately, I am not able to use the garage space. I was going to just get a nema 14-50 - but -- seeing how the wall connector will give me 5 more miles per hour compared to the nema - and for the fact that i dont have to unplug it every time -- i thought that was the best option.

Does anyone else have any experience with outdoor installs? anything i should be mindful of? I did call Tesla prior to and they did assure me it was safe to do so.

Thanks

2. GSP

GSP Member

Outdoor HPWC installations are pretty common. Several other TMC members have them, and I have not seen any complaints. I am having my HPWC installed this Thursday, and it will be outdoors.

I suggest making sure that the plug is put in its holster when not in use, and not left hanging free. That will help protect the contacts from the elements.

GSP

3. Ojas Ray

Ojas Ray Member

Oh yeah - thats a awesome point --

I still have the bubble plastic on it right now -- as my car is not slated to arrive till 4 weeks now! (it was suppose to be end of this month)

4. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

Take a look at my installation: Charging

5. Ojas Ray

Ojas Ray Member

oh thats cool - Yeah -- i mean if your HPWC can make it in Canada outdoors - i should be fine! I also go the 24' cable ....

6. davewill

davewill Member

I would remove it. Better it gets wet, then dries out than to trap moisture inside the bubble wrap.

7. Ojas Ray

Ojas Ray Member

does anyone elses HPWC seem to be a tad tad loose at the bottom between the front silver tesla plate and the back of that? I have everything completely flushed but there seems to be a tad tad gap...noticeable when you push it