Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you can afford a $50k car, you can afford a $400-$800 electrician. Killing yourself or burning down your home are a possiblity, if you have no idea what your doing. Nobody wants to see someone get hurt.

Burning your house down is a possibility when you cook dinner too, so for safety sake we should all eat exclusively at McDonalds, let the professionals handle the cooking.

Thank you all for the help. To be honest maybe I sounded like I didn’t do any research etc before starting this thread but I have. I’m just that guy that reads 50 times before doing something. I basically had to directly ask and get the answer for myself .

Anyway, again I know working with electricity has its risks, but this is not a major electrical job. I’m a very detail oriented guy and can’t seem to be satisfied with most people’s work. Maybe it’s why I own a paint protection shop and have installed clear mask on over 150 Tesla’s with 100% feedback.

Paying $800+ on a 1-2 hour job like this sounds ridiculous to me. (Haven’t found a quote for under $800).

Thank you all for the help. To be honest maybe I sounded like I didn’t do any research etc before starting this thread but I have. I’m just that guy that reads 50 times before doing something. I basically had to directly ask and get the answer for myself .

Anyway, again I know working with electricity has its risks, but this is not a major electrical job. I’m a very detail oriented guy and can’t seem to be satisfied with most people’s work. Maybe it’s why I own a paint protection shop and have installed clear mask on over 150 Tesla’s with 100% feedback.
I’m not sure the skill set is transferable. Would you be comfortable having an electrician do your paint protection?

Paying $800+ on a 1-2 hour job like this sounds ridiculous to me. (Haven’t found a quote for under $800).

Well for instance in my area, permits alone run about $3-500, so then that's only like 3-500 for materials, labor and profit.

Quick check of copper #3 SER cable and its like $6-7 per foot for #3 copper so something like $227 for a 35 foot run. In conduit, its maybe more like $150 since you can save on the neutral wire, but you now have to buy conduit and fittings.

Now pay a minimum wage worker to make your permit run, figure 2 hours, and double that minimum wage to account for their overhead.

Now pay an electrician something like $80-120 per hour for 2 hours (including overhead). $800 is a steal, I'd go for it if I was in your shoes.

Profit to do another job tomorrow and keep the lights on?

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: SSedan and Rocky_H
I’m not sure the skill set is transferable. Would you be comfortable having an electrician do your paint protection?

I am not comparing apples to apples. It does not require a electrician to take on this job. For example I'm not going to install a roof on my house.. There are some things we all can and are capable of doing without hiring a professional. I didn't ask how to wire up the connector to the panel or how to run the wires. I asked what types of wires for triple checking I would be using the correct products, thats it.

I used a #6 jacketed 4-wire. I only used 6ft worth from the breaker to the outlet. My breaker is in the garage and I park my Tesla on the side where the breaker box is so didn't need to run a long line. I bought mine at Home Depot.

Hello everyone,

I am going to be installing the wall connector myself but want to confirm what wires to go with in what type of conduit. I am going to run around 35' feet as I will be installing the wall connector on the opposite side of my garage that the breaker box is on (two car garage door but one door). Anyone buy the wires locally? Home depot/Lowes?

Thank you!

You have all the info in previous posts to do a good job yourself.

I bought everything at Home Depot for a M3 48A installation (60A breaker, #6 Cable, PVC 2’’ underground conduit on 60’) and did the installation myself from the panel to an oustide shed 60 feet away. I called up an electrician to connect the breaker and do a junction with wall connector cables (I precabled the Wall connector following the instruction, pretty easy). Électrician cost : 100$. Material cost: around 500$ just for electrical part.

I’d suggest running the neutral wire even if you plan to use the HPWC. That way, if you sell your house, you can swap out the HPWC for a NEMA 14-50 outlet and take the HPWC with you.
Or you can cap off the wires, place a cover over the junction box, and take the wall connector with you without running the extra wire.

Or you can cap off the wires, place a cover over the junction box, and take the wall connector with you without running the extra wire.

I was going to say the same thing! You can also put in a 6-50 receptacle and advertise the house as having an EV charging plug.

The neutral is totally superfluous for EV charging. It is just an artifact of history that the common charging plug is a 14-50. Just a waste of wire.

(Not to say I might not install a 14-50 anyway since it is so common and useful for RV’’s, but if I was designing things from scratch I would omit the neutral for all EV charging setups).

Well for instance in my area, permits alone run about $3-500, so then that's only like 3-500 for materials, labor and profit.

Quick check of copper #3 SER cable and its like $6-7 per foot for #3 copper so something like $227 for a 35 foot run. In conduit, its maybe more like $150 since you can save on the neutral wire, but you now have to buy conduit and fittings.

Now pay a minimum wage worker to make your permit run, figure 2 hours, and double that minimum wage to account for their overhead.

Now pay an electrician something like $80-120 per hour for 2 hours (including overhead). $800 is a steal, I'd go for it if I was in your shoes.

Profit to do another job tomorrow and keep the lights on?
#2 THHN is $1.02 a foot and #8 ground is $.56 a foot at Home Depot, that is $2.60 a foot to go in conduit and conduit is cheap certainly under $50. I actually did this in July

I used a #6 jacketed 4-wire. I only used 6ft worth from the breaker to the outlet. My breaker is in the garage and I park my Tesla on the side where the breaker box is so didn't need to run a long line. I bought mine at Home Depot.
Yup, Just like I said, about $150 in materials for wiring in conduit, $250 for SER. I meant all materials, not just $150 in wire, if that wasn't clear.

We didn't even discuss breakers. My point stands, $800 is a good price if you are paying a shop to do it and they have a contractors license, and expect profit on jobs. If you are paying someone who "knows a guy" then you might get an install for the price of a nice dinner.

Hello everyone,

I am going to be installing the wall connector myself but want to confirm what wires to go with in what type of conduit. I am going to run around 35' feet as I will be installing the wall connector on the opposite side of my garage that the breaker box is on (two car garage door but one door). Anyone buy the wires locally? Home depot/Lowes?

Thank you!

Not a good idea to do it yourself. You will need a licensed electrician who can do such an install. Also, post installation, Tesla usually needs to have an Inspection certificate (not sure if it's mandatory).

But, it's better to spend money on this work, because if anything is not right, you don't want to mess up with your Model-3 or your home. Yes, it's a pinch to cough up the money, but it's an one deal.

... just my opinion.

Not a good idea to do it yourself. You will need a licensed electrician who can do such an install. Also, post installation, Tesla usually needs to have an Inspection certificate (not sure if it's mandatory).

But, it's better to spend money on this work, because if anything is not right, you don't want to mess up with your Model-3 or your home. Yes, it's a pinch to cough up the money, but it's an one deal.

... just my opinion.
Your concern is duly noted.

If the local laws allow it, they have the skills, and follow the applicable laws about permits and inspections, there's no reason a homeowner can't do their own install safely.

Hello everyone,

Thank you!

Personally, I’d run 1” PVC conduit because it is easy to work with. EMT has its advantages but PVC is safe and code compliant for what you are doing.

... just my opinion.

Everywhere I have ever lived homeowners are allowed to do any home improvements themselves that would otherwise require a licensed contractor. You just have to get it permitted, follow code, and have it inspected.

Reactions: woodguyatl

I got mine done for about $275 including parts by a qualified electrician. Granted it was done by someone I knew. I was lucky enough to have a short run (about 7ft) from the panel. I think it took him about 1.5 hours to do.