Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I am going to be installing the wall connector myself but want to confirm what wires to go with in what type of conduit. I am going to run around 35' feet as I will be installing the wall connector on the opposite side of my garage that the breaker box is on (two car garage door but one door). Anyone buy the wires locally? Home depot/Lowes?

Thank you!

So anyone who asks a question should keep it to themself and call a professional? Lol.

I understand working with electrical is not a joke and the risks that come with it. I’ve done other type of electrical work and just want to confirm the type of wire on this specific project.

Reactions: davewill
No, just because you ask a question, you don't have to call a professional.

But if you didn't offer something for folks to confirm, you should call an electrician.

Installing high current installations isn't the same as installing a 120V 15A plug.
And, there are SOOOOOO many examples of what to do on this and other forums, just popping in with "what wires in what conduit" and "does Home Depot carry it" Shows absolutely no knowledge of the issues.

I'm sorry, but if you were at a level that I trusted, your questions would not be asked.

Call an electrician.

If you want some confirmation, post a solution to see if it would be acceptable.

Oh, have you applied for the permit and inspection?

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
2gauge aluminum won't fit well and Tesla says not to use aluminum.

Aluminum is prone to warming and expansion loosening connections, the high sustained loads of EV charging are perfect for causing this issue hence copper only. 3 gauge copper THHN is rated high enough for 100amps and is I think $.92 a foot at Home Depot. Two of those plus an 8 gauge ground at $.56 a foot.

Hello everyone,

I am going to be installing the wall connector myself but want to confirm what wires to go with in what type of conduit. I am going to run around 35' feet as I will be installing the wall connector on the opposite side of my garage that the breaker box is on (two car garage door but one door). Anyone buy the wires locally? Home depot/Lowes?

Thank you!

The two viable options are EMT (metal) or PVC (the grey stuff). I personally vastly prefer the look of EMT. PVC feels kind of amateur to me. Really best used when running conduit in the ground.

You will need THHN wire (usually dual rated as THWN-2 as well). I buy my wire at Home Depot often by the foot for small projects.

You only need two hots and a ground wire. No neutral needed for the Wall Connector so that saves on wire and conduit fill space. For up to a 60a circuit you only need a #10 gauge ground wire. Up to 100a you need 8 awg.

I'd also advise caution, but Darwin awards always needs candidates.

I'd go with #6 Cu THHN, 1" EMT, 60A Breaker
Don't burn anything down.

Two #6 hots and a #10 ground fit in 3/4 EMT just fine. It is only 22.08% filled which is well below the limit. Heck, you can even do two #4's and a #8 in 3/4in conduit. 1" is a more difficult to work with and more expensive, so I would not use it unless you want to run a 100a circuit.

100A breaker, electricians used 2-2-2-4 SER wire on my installation. Beware that there is some anti-oxidizing goop that must be applied to aluminum wire connections. link to the SER wire at Home Depot.

If your electrician terminated that wire directly into your Wall Connector then he/she made a huge mistake and you need to stop using your Wall Connector until the situation is rectified. The Wall Connector terminals are NOT rated for aluminum wire. Using aluminum wire on terminals not rated for it can be a massive fire danger. Also, what size breaker did they install and what rotary dial / dip switch setting did they use? #2 AWG aluminum is only rated to 90a.

2gauge aluminum won't fit well and Tesla says not to use aluminum.

Aluminum is prone to warming and expansion loosening connections, the high sustained loads of EV charging are perfect for causing this issue hence copper only. 3 gauge copper THHN is rated high enough for 100amps and is I think $.92 a foot at Home Depot. Two of those plus an 8 gauge ground at $.56 a foot.

Aluminum is generally fine these days when using the right connectors, etc... and when installed property, but it certainly is less optimal in several ways than copper. Due to the cost delta between copper and aluminum you will find it used nearly exclusively in power company projects and on all feeders and large circuits in residential. I think due to space limitations and an abundance of caution, Telsa choses to only rate their Wall Connectors for copper out of an abundance of caution. Tesla really does not want bad PR for folks burning their houses down.

@SSedan is correct though, #3 AWG copper THHN with a #8 AWG copper THHN for ground in a 1" EMT conduit is a perfect setup to MAX out a Tesla Wall Connector.

If you only plan to charge a Model 3 (which all today max at 48amps continuous on a 60a circuit) then you could just do #6 AWG with a #10 ground in 3/4 in EMT - this is what I did for my M3. Had I to do it again, I might have done a 100a circuit just to future proof (because why not - overkill is good right?), but my 60a circuit setup is working fantastic. I have a loaner Model S right now with dual chargers in it, and it would be fun to charge at 80a just to try it out. Right now it maxes at 48a naturally.

I could have done #4awg plus #8awg ground in my 3/4in conduit as a mid step (only delta cost is the additional wire, and grunt work to pull it through conduit, and a little up charge on the breaker cost). That would allow 64 amps of continuous charge rate vs. my 48. (but only on Model S or X units appropriately equipped - M3 maxes at 48a no matter the configuration)

Oh, and we have not talked about load calculations. Just because you can run a #3 wire in conduit does not mean your service has enough capacity to support that charging rate. You need to run the NEC load calculations to figure out what it can support. If you post pictures of the gory details of your panel and the sticker on the door, and the list of circuits, and the inside of the panel (if you can do that safely) we might be able to help swag whether you have enough capacity or not.

Hey Matte3! If you can send/ post pics of your panel and install space and we can help. I am so tired of people jumping on folks asking questions. Wiring and electrical work is not rocket science nor black magic! The more you know about your home the better, and if you are willing to learn, then you can save yourself a lot of money.

@eprosenx has got the info you need, but if you have other questions post them up. I just installed in my Wall Connector this past weekend, so it’s fresh in mind.

Hey Matte3! If you can send/ post pics of your panel and install space and we can help. I am so tired of people jumping on folks asking questions. Wiring and electrical work is not rocket science nor black magic! The more you know about your home the better, and if you are willing to learn, then you can save yourself a lot of money.

@eprosenx has got the info you need, but if you have other questions post them up. I just installed in my Wall Connector this past weekend, so it’s fresh in mind.
Agreed, I'd rather people learn than get told "Go call an electrician"

My recommendations were based on a single model 3, hence the 60A circuit. The 1" EMT could have handled a future expansion to the second Tesla if needed in the future, swapping the breaker and the wire.

Good luck getting your charging circuit safe, code compliant, and done at a good price

Reactions: WallyP
I am going to run around 35' feet as I will be installing the wall connector on the opposite side of my garage that the breaker box is on (two car garage door but one door). Anyone buy the wires locally? Home depot/Lowes?
Yes, what you need is usually available at HD and Lowe’s. 35 feet + 35 feet of #6 THHN wires for the hots, 35 feet of #10 for ground, 3/4” EMT conduit and clamps, and a 60amp breaker will run about $175-$200.

@eprosenx has given you most of the info you need. Wiring is mostly intuitive, but it will be helpful to spend a couple of hours browsing the Internet to learn a bit more. There are a bunch of acronyms and a little bit of code and common practices to be familiar with.

I hope you have ensured that your supply and panel can handle another 60 amps of load. Also, some local jurisdictions require you to either inform them or get a permit before installing an EVSE. Check with them.

It might still be a good idea to call a couple of local electricians to visit and give quotes. It gives a great opportunity for you to ask them questions and learn. If you find a good, hungry electrician for cheap, you can just have them do the job so you can watch and learn.

Good luck. With basic understanding of electricity and handyman skills, installing an EVSE is pretty straightforward.

• Helpful
Reactions: Big Earl
The 2-2-2-4 SER wiring runs from the panel to a junction box. The box then splits to run to each of the wall connectors (one currently but adding another soon.) Ugh. This is why I paid a "professional" I appreciate the help and will talk about this with my electrician.

I did enough Googling to see that it's not clear to me whether 100A on SER 2-2-4 is allowable from the panel to the junction box. I did look in the Tesla Wall Connector manual and it does clearly state to use copper wiring into the Wall Connector so at a minimum that section should be changed.

Last edited:
The 2-2-2-4 SER wiring runs from the panel to a junction box. The box then splits to run to each of the wall connectors (one currently but adding another soon.) Ugh. This is why I paid a "professional" I appreciate the help and will have this rewired.

So going to a junction box and then doing copper from there into the wall connector is a completely viable option. If that is what you have going on you are golden (as long as the breaker is not over 90a and they use the right connectors to tie the aluminimn and copper wires together and the copper is of sufficient gauge).

Agreed, I'd rather people learn than get told "Go call an electrician"

My recommendations were based on a single model 3, hence the 60A circuit. The 1" EMT could have handled a future expansion to the second Tesla if needed in the future, swapping the breaker and the wire.

Good luck getting your charging circuit safe, code compliant, and done at a good price
I am also getting tired of people jumping down newbie's throats. It may develop that this chap SHOULD call an electrician, but it's good to know things, even if you do have someone else do the work.

The 2-2-2-4 SER wiring runs from the panel to a junction box. The box then splits to run to each of the wall connectors (one currently but adding another soon.) Ugh. This is why I paid a "professional" I appreciate the help and will talk about this with my electrician.

I did enough Googling to see that it's not clear to me whether 100A on SER 2-2-4 is allowable from the panel to the junction box. I did look in the Tesla Wall Connector manual and it does clearly state to use copper wiring into the Wall Connector so at a minimum that section should be changed.

#2 AL SER is good for 90A, since its a 75C connection, your 100A breaker is too large for this application, but probably what the electrician could get a hold of easily. If the HPWC is set appropriately, there's no safety issue except the mis-sized breaker compared with the wiring, but you wont want to install a second HPWC, and expect to get more than 72A continuous out of this installation.

#2 AL SER is good for 90A, since its a 75C connection, your 100A breaker is too large for this application, but probably what the electrician could get a hold of easily. If the HPWC is set appropriately, there's no safety issue except the mis-sized breaker compared with the wiring, but you wont want to install a second HPWC, and expect to get more than 72A continuous out of this installation.

Just to be clear though: This is a non-code compliant installation. Yes, setting the HPWC to 90a (72a continuous) helps reduce the risk, but as far as code is concerned, this needs to be on a 90a breaker (which is a standard size breaker so you are not eligible for the "next size up" rule).

Also as mentioned and discussed, if there is aluminum wire under the Wall Connector terminals then it is a mistake that makes it non code compliant (that could be dangerous - I am not sure how compatible the Wall Connecter terminals might be with aluminum - they are definitely not rated for it according to the manual).

Reactions: Rocky_H and Vines
Just to be clear though: This is a non-code compliant installation. Yes, setting the HPWC to 90a (72a continuous) helps reduce the risk, but as far as code is concerned, this needs to be on a 90a breaker (which is a standard size breaker so you are not eligible for the "next size up" rule).

Also as mentioned and discussed, if there is aluminum wire under the Wall Connector terminals then it is a mistake that makes it non code compliant (that could be dangerous - I am not sure how compatible the Wall Connecter terminals might be with aluminum - they are definitely not rated for it according to the manual).

Agreed, definitely not code, but at least it is safer than the current condition, as the HPWC will not be drawing enough current to cause the wiring to overheat.

Best solution is to call the electrician back out and have him redo the work. He should remove the Al wire and go with #3 Cu SER or larger. Then you can get the full ampacity of the HPWC, and also be code compliant, and also follow the Installation Manual.
Alternately, replace the 100A with a 90A breaker, keep the AL wire, and install a junction box and short section of #3 copper so that the termination of the wires in the HPWC is copper, and then set the HPWC to the 90A breaker.

Reactions: eprosenx
I know I quoted wire for 100amp, but I believe in overkill and preparing for load sharing later. It is cheap to use upsize wire now, even if staying smaller with the breaker. Labor to install the wire and conduit is the primary cost, material upgrades pretty cheap. Add a second EV later and the wire is there. Buy a car that can handle higher charge rated and the breaker can be changed and the wall connector reset higher. You can install it at 100amps and the car will self limit or you can set it lower.

My car can take 80amps but I set it to 42-50ish. Dual chargers both go active at half rate if I set over 40 which might be easier on parts heat wise.