Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guess you could charge again and keep the fob far away from the handle and try depressing it once fully charged. We're in the US and unfortunately don't have one of the HPWC's to try this out on but was intrigued by Wshowell's post here in the US where it seemed to confirm it can be done.

@harry Nothing wrong with it as long as the software and hardware allows it. But this option is still not available plus the fact that in shared garages like for example where I live, we have our communal garage and if this is open for anyone to use it then people can start using your wall connector to charge their cars at your cost! Please also bare in mind Tesla Destination Charger is a normal Tesla Wall Connector without any security to prevent people from using it. So the locking mechanism is a good thing but this can be different for other chargers with timer for example.

@SMAlset Yes, I did this exercise at home after we got back and it released the charger again! When the Ranger came on Monday, he did the same and could release the charger too but only in these two occasions. Then he updated my software to 2018.16 and since then every time I try to unlock the charger after full charging session, it doesn't let me but I am not sure if the update had anything to do with it.

Hello everyone

I encountered the problem again today. I made a short film so you can see how it works. I did not have the key fob with me and the car was locked! Please have a look and note the ring around the charger is off.

Anyone having wall connector please check if you do have the same issue. Thanks.

• Informative
Reactions: thegooch49
891D5629-C90D-4E77-B093-8030FBD764CA.jpeg
67FB04E6-3216-49A0-B985-067FBBACB6FE.jpeg

After few experience of my Tesla being able unplugged by other people, I decided to make a notice and put on the car while charging and politely ask them to contact me if they need the charger.

It is in 4 languages and for privacy reasons, instead of putting my telephone number I used QR code which if scanned, it directly creates a SMS message on the phone and you have to only send it to notify me. What do you think?

Any better idea? Are the translations ok? Do I need to add anything else?

By the way I sent the video clip to Tesla Service Centre for further investigation. Apparently they haveno clue why the car has such behaviour time to time!

Cheers.

Last edited:
Maybe you all can help me with my issue .... i Just installed a Gen 3 Wall Connector in my garage to replace my NEMA plug. When I charge, initially no issue, unit charges at top charge level. After some period the charge level will reduce by approximately half. The lights on the wall connector have changed from all descending green to one red light at the top with the other lights all descending green. If I stop and restart the charge process I have the same sequence. Anyone ever see this? Can you share insight? Thank you

Maybe you all can help me with my issue .... i Just installed a Gen 3 Wall Connector in my garage to replace my NEMA plug. When I charge, initially no issue, unit charges at top charge level. After some period the charge level will reduce by approximately half. The lights on the wall connector have changed from all descending green to one red light at the top with the other lights all descending green. If I stop and restart the charge process I have the same sequence. Anyone ever see this? Can you share insight? Thank you

It's a known issue with some Gen3 Wall Connectors. Apparently, some units with part number ending in "F" have a sensor prone to overheat which causes the car to throttle down the charge in order to protect both the Wall Connector and the vehicle.

Tesla claims some affected units can be fixed with a software update (the Wall Connector needs to be connected to Wifi) but some others need to be replaced for the newer revision "G" unit.

You should give Tesla a call in order for them to troubleshoot the issue for you.

Tesla Home charging service: 510-249-2490

You can read more about it here.

• Helpful
Reactions: .FP. and LoL Rick
It's a known issue with some Gen3 Wall Connectors. Apparently, some units with part number ending in "F" have a sensor prone to overheat which causes the car to throttle down the charge in order to protect both the Wall Connector and the vehicle.

Tesla claims some affected units can be fixed with a software update (the Wall Connector needs to be connected to Wifi) but some others need to be replaced for the newer revision "G" unit.

You should give Tesla a call in order for them to troubleshoot the issue for you.

Tesla Home charging service: 510-249-2490

You can read more about it here.

Thank you Art. I appreciate your help!