Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector - keeps fusing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

A few times now I've come to charge my car at home, and the TWC (Gen 2) is off, with the fuse breaker down. Flicking the fuse box back up turns the TWC back on, and the charger is fine. A few charges go by, nothing changes. Then seemingly randomly the same happens again.

Happening both during charge and not during charge AFAIK.

Anyone had a common experience? Looking for any thinking/advice ahead of calling the company who installed back in July 2020.

Fuse breaker? MCB, RCD, or RCBO? Which one it is will give an indication of the type of fault and the severity. If its a RCBO or RCD (probably best identified by normally having a Test button) I would suggest not using the unit right now and leaving it powered off. Either way, getting an electrician to sort would be the best option.

Reactions: Adopado and davidmc
Hi all, sorry for delay in response on this!... but the story thickens!

It's an RCB with a test button, 32A. It was checked by the installer and no problems identified. Highlighted the smart meter may be giving off signals which interfere with the RCB causing it to trip... this does make some sense as the RCB only trips when charging overnight (0030 - 0430) and is absolutely fine during the day if charging.

I've asked the TWC installer to come back out and change to a 40A RCB and/or move the RCB unit further away from the smart meter. Will update once complete.

Image attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-05 at 08.36.09.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-05 at 08.36.09.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 193
Hi all, sorry for delay in response on this!... but the story thickens!

It's an RCB with a test button, 32A. It was checked by the installer and no problems identified. Highlighted the smart meter may be giving off signals which interfere with the RCB causing it to trip... this does make some sense as the RCB only trips when charging overnight (0030 - 0430) and is absolutely fine during the day if charging.

I've asked the TWC installer to come back out and change to a 40A RCB and/or move the RCB unit further away from the smart meter. Will update once complete.

Image attached.

RCDs have been known to go bad so swapping it out will at least discount that. If it's an RCD fault then whether it's 32amp or 40amp shouldn't be the issue. If it's overcurrent tripping then that's different (but most 32amp breakers should be fine even though 40amp is a common fitment).

Reactions: MrBadger