Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector - LADWP Rebate Without Installation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power has an EVSE rebate in which they reimburse up to $500 of the equipment cost. This rebate is supposedly expiring at the end of this month.

Now, I'm currently living in an apartment so I can't install it there. However, every few weeks, I let my father drive my Model 3 to charge at his work since he has an abundance of NEMA 6-50 outlets with various output (he's a welder). I plan on buying a house either at the end of this year or beginning of next.

Does anyone know if purchasing a Wall Connector but not installing it would still enable me to apply for the rebate? If not, how difficult would it be to remove later on? Even though I got permission, I was quoted a few thousand dollars ($5,000+) to install it at my apartment lot so that's definitely not an option.

My electrician told that I needed a my permit from the install to qualify for the rebate. So yes, you will need to have it installed and passed inspection before you can get the rebate.
Oh jeez. Do you know if there's an "easy" way to install and uninstall the Wall Connector? I think I read about some people simply plugging it in to a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Not sure if that'd count...

Yes, I had my electrician install an Nema 14-50 outlet and also installed a 14-50 pig tail into my HPWC. That way, I can unplug it for another type of charger or just have a back up.

I have Edison, and my installation was approved by the inspector, my breaker was 50A and my electrician used 6 gauge wire with correct conduits. I'm assuming the requirements are the same for both LADWP and Edison. Receipt for HPWC and installation along with a copy of the approved permit.

Yes, I had my electrician install an Nema 14-50 outlet and also installed a 14-50 pig tail into my HPWC. That way, I can unplug it for another type of charger or just have a back up.

I have Edison, and my installation was approved by the inspector, my breaker was 50A and my electrician used 6 gauge wire with correct conduits. I'm assuming the requirements are the same for both LADWP and Edison. Receipt for HPWC and installation along with a copy of the approved permit.

For what it is worth, my reading of the code does not allow for pigtails to be installed on a HPWC (or at least there are very specific requirements around them only being 12 inches long max). We covered this in another thread here recently. But others have had inspectors sign off just fine on it, and from a practical standpoint I don't think it is dangerous. Lots of relevant stuff in NEC 2017 Article 625.