Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector (Level 2 charger) "out of stock" [thread from 2020]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not off to a very good start as a new customer. I take delivery next week in Maryland of a Model 3 and the recommended Tesla Wall Connector/Level 2 charger is "out of stock" on the website and at the dealer. But there is a catch. If you use the Tesla recommended electrician, then they will arrive with a Wall Connector. I have a 120 year old house that requires my trusted electrician plus there is other work to be done. This seems really low class. I chose to get a Tesla because I thought I could leave behind high priced dealers, unnecessary maintenance, undercoats, your brakes are thin, $80 air filter changes, etc. This is really disappointing. Any recommendations for a comparable home charger?

Not off to a very good start as a new customer. I take delivery next week in Maryland of a Model 3 and the recommended Tesla Wall Connector/Level 2 charger is "out of stock" on the website and at the dealer. But there is a catch. If you use the Tesla recommended electrician, then they will arrive with a Wall Connector. I have a 120 year old house that requires my trusted electrician plus there is other work to be done. This seems really low class. I chose to get a Tesla because I thought I could leave behind high priced dealers, unnecessary maintenance, undercoats, your brakes are thin, $80 air filter changes, etc. This is really disappointing. Any recommendations for a comparable home charger?

Yeah, the stocking issue is a legit persistent gripe with Tesla.

Typically though they do come back in stock very quickly (check daily).

In a pinch, get the $35 NEMA 14-50 adapter for the included Mobile Connector cable and have your electrician “temp you in” a receptacle. Or actually the 6-50 may be every better since it does not need the neutral. The wire can be re-used for the wall connector once you get it if it is thoughtfully installed.

Also, they may be having challenges with stock making it from China right now.

Good luck! You will love the car!!!

Under the cable size selector, you will find this

"Email me when this item is restocked"

click on that and enter your email, you will get a notification as soon it become available, it did it a couple of weeks ago and I placed my order as soon I got a notification (3/4), still no email regarding tracking number, so it may get some extra time.

This. It works. Our Tesla is probably 4 to 8 weeks away but we received an email already for the Chademo adapter being back in stock. (critical for us). Ordered, on its way. Will probably arrive before the car. :)

Hope it works out for you.

Since when does a "tesla recommended electrician "arrive with a wall connector"? That would be a local thing to you. I used a "tesla recommended electrician" and they never said "we will arrive with a wall connector".

Also, did you just order 30 seconds before made this post? You "take delivery next week" so likely ordered "some time before today"... why didnt you look into ordering the wall connector back then? I get that it can be frustrating when something is out of stock, especially in age of Amazon prime shipping where things arrive in 1-2 days.... but why is YOUR procrastination in placing an order now worthy of a " This is really low class" rant?

Item out of stock = "Low class"? Man, I dont get that connection....

I had Tesla install my wall connector. not a "tesla recommended electrician" but actual Tesla employees. (Same guys that do the wiring for solar installs apparently) They did bring a wall connector with them for the install, but I had already purchased one, so they used mine and credited me the $500.

When I got mine in Sept '19, the black charger I wanted was out of stock. I had the Owings Mills, MD store order one for me. They told me they weren't sure when it would come but they anticipated 2-3 weeks. I also checked the website daily, and wound up ordering one. They both came in the same day, which was 8 days after I took delivery. I returned one. Yes, it was a PITA, but I made due with local superchargers. Check with the Owings Mills and/or Rockville store and have them order for you.

You could always have your trusted electrician do all the work, just terminating the circuit (60A or whatever you choose) in a junction box at the location where the WC will be installed, then have the Tesla electrician just mount the WC and make the connections.

Under the cable size selector, you will find this

"Email me when this item is restocked"

click on that and enter your email, you will get a notification as soon it become available, it did it a couple of weeks ago and I placed my order as soon I got a notification (3/4), still no email regarding tracking number, so it may get some extra time.

Thanks. I saw that and may use it now. This Wall Connector still appears to be the best product with good design, high amperage and no special fitting needed, of course. With the help of others below, I now see that this is a somewhat constant but not permanent problem. And I like the work around of using the mobile cable with an adaptor for short-term.

Since when does a "tesla recommended electrician "arrive with a wall connector"? That would be a local thing to you. I used a "tesla recommended electrician" and they never said "we will arrive with a wall connector".

Also, did you just order 30 seconds before made this post? You "take delivery next week" so likely ordered "some time before today"... why didnt you look into ordering the wall connector back then? I get that it can be frustrating when something is out of stock, especially in age of Amazon prime shipping where things arrive in 1-2 days.... but why is YOUR procrastination in placing an order now worthy of a " This is really low class" rant?

Item out of stock = "Low class"? Man, I dont get that connection....
There is a whole sales branch of Tesla that makes money on installs. I don't begrudge them that. Free country and you can use Tesla (with the "4 year warranty" that the sales person rams home--or not). But in this case, they are holding back Wall Connector units for their install teams, with the units not restocked for "two more weeks," according to them. Being a rookie at this (but more knowledgeable thanks to these posts), I don't know if 2 weeks mean 6 months or 2 days. Yes, I procrastinated, but I was not aware that Tesla has shortages of basic items. Good for them, I guess, but I can't run a Model 3 200 miles a day on rubber bands. Kind of a "for want of a nail" problem. The Tesla install salesman was even a bit sheepish about the problem today. But make no mistake about it---Tesla does not make money on oil changes but the install program is pushy for a reason.

I went to a reunion once where we all had teenagers or older and there was baby carriage next to one table. We all went over to see the grandchild of our classmate. Only it was his first child. His only excuse, "I always was a procrastinator."

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: smatthew and jpfive
When I got mine in Sept '19, the black charger I wanted was out of stock. I had the Owings Mills, MD store order one for me. They told me they weren't sure when it would come but they anticipated 2-3 weeks. I also checked the website daily, and wound up ordering one. They both came in the same day, which was 8 days after I took delivery. I returned one. Yes, it was a PITA, but I made due with local superchargers. Check with the Owings Mills and/or Rockville store and have them order for you.
Thanks. I will take your advice and try to put some pressure on them locally. If the install teams have them, maybe someone can find one back in the storeroom. My only leverage is not picking up the car promptly. As you may know, these dealers are all showroom and no lots.

Yeah, the stocking issue is a legit persistent gripe with Tesla.

Typically though they do come back in stock very quickly (check daily).

In a pinch, get the $35 NEMA 14-50 adapter for the included Mobile Connector cable and have your electrician “temp you in” a receptacle. Or actually the 6-50 may be every better since it does not need the neutral. The wire can be re-used for the wall connector once you get it if it is thoughtfully installed.

Also, they may be having challenges with stock making it from China right now.

Good luck! You will love the car!!!
This is a great idea. Thank you. After hours of research, I really think the Tesla Wall Connector is my best solution. I checked out your solution on the Internet and see that it has fairly common variants. It is an easy job to go from a receptacle to hard wiring. I mistakenly never thought of the mobile connector as a 30+ amp wire, but I see that it is capable of that. I guess I thought it was for when you get stuck at granddad's house and have use his 120v socket. Tesla is going through such a growth spurt. I will have to be more attune to shortages. They have these problems but not the one of having cars collecting dirt on the lots. Good for them. I am a leaser and have a very nice Audi A4 to turn in. It gets over 30 mpg on the highway. I think I am stepping into a different universe.

What, wait. I never received notification and by the time I saw your entry and checked the Tesla shop, it showed "sold out". Ouch!

I hear ya. I don’t think it was in stock anymore than two hours. Did you re-enter your info? If not do so and stick with it. We were on the list for three things 3 days ago yet and now all that’s left is the 14-50 adapter for the mobile connecter. Hang in there.

We got a new Model S seven weeks ago and the wall connector has been showing "out of stock" since then. I signed up for the back-in-stock updates but haven't gotten a single email. Totally get that covid has slowed production of pretty much everything these days, but if they're still building new cars in 3-7 weeks, you'd think they could produce wall connectors (just a WEE bit simpler?) in that time frame, too. I agree with the OP, this is odd strategy for a luxury auto maker pushing a $300 bn market cap but still tinkering with the customer loyalty equation.

I got a model Y 2 weeks ago. The wall connector was in stock when I looked so I ordered one but realized after the fact I need the 18’ cable so I sent it back (for anyone waiting for the 8.5’ version, one will be in stock, soon! :D ) Since then I’ve been watching for the 18’ version and haven’t seen it in stock. I added my name to the notification list and have seen the 8.5’ version in stock briefly, but interestingly I never got a notification.

I agree - it’s frustrating that an electric car company can’t manage to have chargers available for the product it sells, but I’d echo what others have said - you can use the cable that comes with the car and get a different plug - Tesla sells anything from 120v15A up to 240v 50A plugs, so not having the wall connector is a minor inconvenience but doesn’t break the bank.

I got a Gen2 Elon-signed Tesla Wall Charger on eBay and installed it myself this weekend. Not only is Gen2 less expensive but it will handle up to 80 amps. I think they look better, too! Great alternative to the interminable wait for a new Gen3 charger. The WiFi connection in the Gen3 charger seems unnecessary, since you can connect to the car and see your charging data.
Gen2 HPWC Installed.jpg