Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the model Y on order, and I would like to install the wall connector before it comes. The most convenient location for the connector would be in line with the door handle of the rear driver door. I would like to get the eight foot cord rather than the twenty foot cord, so there is not so much cord laying around. I measured the length out with a tape, and it appears that the eight foot cord will be fine. Anybody think that might be a problem? Thanks JK

Yes, it might be but I can't say that it will be. Or rather having the 21' cord might turn out to be convenient at some time in the future if, for example, you wanted to charge outside the garage. You can always 'shorten' the longer cord by coiling it around the HPWC (it is designed to facilitate this) but you can't stretch an 8'.

Reactions: destructure00
Maybe too late for you, but i'd wait until much closer to delivery before installing the charger -- who knows if Tesla will make upgrades to the wall connector or even release a new model in the next year.

I think this is because I was going to post that it would not change in the future. What could they add that would matter? Apparently, WiFi. I have not even installed my charger and I am already out of date.

Yeah, I at least installed mine, so I don’t feel as bad...but still. I almost bought the new one a minute ago, but I’m sure I’d take a hit on my “outdated” wall charger I installed last week.

Reactions: Ghanziang
I would go with the longer cord if there is still that option with the newest generation of wall connector. I have had mine installed for a month now and my 24’ cable stays mostly wound up around the built in cable wall mount without any hanging issues. Right now I only need about 4’ but when I get my Y to go with my current 3, I will need 24’ to reach both cars parked side by side.

24’ cable stores surprisingly neat and tidy:

Attachments

• 7847227B-FC49-4C6C-8400-BF564421A45A.jpeg
    7847227B-FC49-4C6C-8400-BF564421A45A.jpeg
    256.8 KB · Views: 141