Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector location

kirby

Oct 1, 2019
Dover Delaware
I have the model Y on order, and I would like to install the wall connector before it comes. The most convenient location for the connector would be in line with the door handle of the rear driver door. I would like to get the eight foot cord rather than the twenty foot cord, so there is not so much cord laying around. I measured the length out with a tape, and it appears that the eight foot cord will be fine. Anybody think that might be a problem? Thanks JK

ajdelange

Dec 10, 2018
Virginia/Quebec
Yes, it might be but I can't say that it will be. Or rather having the 21' cord might turn out to be convenient at some time in the future if, for example, you wanted to charge outside the garage. You can always 'shorten' the longer cord by coiling it around the HPWC (it is designed to facilitate this) but you can't stretch an 8'.

Reactions: destructure00

kirby

Oct 1, 2019
Dover Delaware
Getting the 24’ cord doesn’t mean there will be anything laying around. You can wrap it around the unit and use only what you need.
Thanks so much to both of you I was being stupid. yeah, i might want to charge outside and I can see you can just wrap it around. I'm getting the longer one. :)

benh57

Dec 31, 2013
LAX, CA
Maybe too late for you, but i'd wait until much closer to delivery before installing the charger -- who knows if Tesla will make upgrades to the wall connector or even release a new model in the next year.

Ghanziang

Oct 27, 2017
Evergreen, CO
I think this is because I was going to post that it would not change in the future. What could they add that would matter? Apparently, WiFi. I have not even installed my charger and I am already out of date.

Sep 10, 2017
Outside
I think this is because I was going to post that it would not change in the future. What could they add that would matter? Apparently, WiFi. I have not even installed my charger and I am already out of date.

Yeah, I at least installed mine, so I don’t feel as bad...but still. I almost bought the new one a minute ago, but I’m sure I’d take a hit on my “outdated” wall charger I installed last week.

Reactions: Ghanziang

gyozaman

May 12, 2019
Vancouver
I would go with the longer cord if there is still that option with the newest generation of wall connector. I have had mine installed for a month now and my 24’ cable stays mostly wound up around the built in cable wall mount without any hanging issues. Right now I only need about 4’ but when I get my Y to go with my current 3, I will need 24’ to reach both cars parked side by side.

Sep 10, 2017
Outside
24’ cable stores surprisingly neat and tidy:

Attachments

• 7847227B-FC49-4C6C-8400-BF564421A45A.jpeg
    7847227B-FC49-4C6C-8400-BF564421A45A.jpeg
    256.8 KB · Views: 75

aronth5

Long Time Follower
Supporting Member
May 8, 2010
Boston Suburb
I would also go with the longer cord if available. On a couple of occasions I had to park my car outside the garage and the added length was helpful.

lowtek

Jan 2, 2020
Alabama, USA
There's only an 18' cord available on the new wall chargers .. and it's a thinner cable than the previous .. just an fyi for your planning .. I'm about to install two of the new wall connectors this weekend, I'll try to do a video.

plugnpray

Mar 7, 2020
Milpitas
There's only an 18' cord available on the new wall chargers .. and it's a thinner cable than the previous .. just an fyi for your planning .. I'm about to install two of the new wall connectors this weekend, I'll try to do a video.
Hello - did you get a change to make a video ?
Thx

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC