Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector - Mismatching SSID

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had the Gen3 Tesla Wall Connector installed and am having issues connecting to the network. My assumption is that Tesla sent my the wrong WPA2 for the connector. When I tried to access the network as per the instructions, it kept saying that my password was incorrect. Upon further investigation, I noticed the SSID that was popping up on my phone was not the same SSID number that came with the quickstart guide for the unit.

Has anyone had this issue? My hope is that it was just an mislabeling error by Tesla and they can provide me with the appropriate WPA2 for this connector.

If the SSID you see is TeslaWallConnector + other stuff, try connecting to that and try the password given. The SSID is only broadcast for 5 minutes after powering the wall unit up. If you don't see TeslaWallConnector SSID, press the button on the WallConnector handle for 5 seconds to reset the WallConnector and start the broadcasting again. If you have identified the WallConnector SSID and it is not TeslaWallConnector, it may already have been commissioned by someone else, and returned to the seller. You will need to contact Tesla following the instructions for that. They can also help if the SSID is different from the one on the Quickstart cover page.

Check the box serial number VS the serial number on the left side of unit (need a magnifying glass) VS the serial on the front of Quickstart Guide. Are they the same?

If not then it sounds like the wall connector was a return and got switched with another on purpose or by accident. If you purchased directly from Tesla you have a good chance of resolving the issue. Just contact Tesla with the SSID you have and explain that the documentation was for another unit. Since it is so easy to contact Tesla that would only take a few weeks or months :-(. Might try contacting service and see if they can get in the database online to get you the correct password. If you purchased through an individual or eBay might not be so easy.

M