Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector Price Drop to $400 from $495 [04/28/2022]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have over 200,000 miles and getting my third Tesla--The 14-50 with the Mobile charger has worked just fine. It costs more to install the Wall Charger, and there is only a small speed bump.

Actually, it costs less to install a Wall Connector as with a 14-50 outlet, you will need a good NEMA 14-50 outlet, not a piece of *sugar* from Home Depot. Hardwiring doesn't incur that cost.

Actually, it costs less to install a Wall Connector as with a 14-50 outlet, you will need a good NEMA 14-50 outlet, not a piece of *sugar* from Home Depot. Hardwiring doesn't incur that cost.
I think, since it can use 80 AMPs, it needs a 100 AMP breaker and a nearby lockout to satisfy code. This was the case when I opted to not install mine.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H

How?

Starting with nothing (i.e. no existing suitable outlet or wiring), the wall connector cost versus 14-50 outlet + mobile connector:
* +$355 if your car comes with a mobile connector (but need the $45 plug adapter).
* +$200 if your car does not come with a mobile connector (but can buy one for $200).
* -$50 outlet not needed.
* -$100 GFCI feature on breaker not needed.
* +$??? if wiring for 60A versus 50A costs more.

So the price differential is either +$205 or +$50 (+ any difference in wiring costs if 60A versus 50A costs more) for the wall connector over the 14-50 outlet + mobile connector. That is not a big difference, so it may be more favorable for many to choose the wall connector solution. But it does not cost less.

How?

Starting with nothing (i.e. no existing suitable outlet or wiring), the wall connector cost versus 14-50 outlet + mobile connector:
* +$355 if your car comes with a mobile connector (but need the $45 plug adapter).
* +$200 if your car does not come with a mobile connector (but can buy one for $200).
* -$50 outlet not needed.
* -$100 GFCI feature on breaker not needed.
* +$??? if wiring for 60A versus 50A costs more.

So the price differential is either +$205 or +$50 (+ any difference in wiring costs if 60A versus 50A costs more) for the wall connector over the 14-50 outlet + mobile connector. That is not a big difference, so it may be more favorable for many to choose the wall connector solution. But it does not cost less.
Since new cars no longer come with the mobile connector, the wall connector is now the best option. If you already have a mobile connector, then it is more favorable (from a strictly cost perspective) for the 14-50 outlet other than the fact you now don't have your mobile connector in your car at all times. Installing outlets for EV charging is not the most ideal choice as hard wired charging is safer and in some locales easier due to local code (i.e. GFCI breaker for outlet).

Last edited:
Reactions: garth_angst