Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector question..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I am picking up a Model Y standard range tomorrow. This is my first EV and want some help understanding the mobile charger with NEMA 14-50 and Tesla wall connector.

1. NEMA 14-50 with mobile charger: Does it use 40 amp circuit breaker?

2. Tesla wall connector: Which amp circuit breaker is recommended? 40 amp, 60 amp, 80 amp, 100 amp?

3. Tesla wall connector: Even if Standard Range Model Y uses up to 32 amp only, is it better to install the Tesla wall connector on a higher circuit breaker for the future? (In case I get a LR or performance model). If so, which amp circuit is recommended?

Thank you for answering my questions.

Hi, I am picking up a Model Y standard range tomorrow. This is my first EV and want some help understanding the mobile charger with NEMA 14-50 and Tesla wall connector.

1. NEMA 14-50 with mobile charger: Does it use 40 amp circuit breaker?

2. Tesla wall connector: Which amp circuit breaker is recommended? 40 amp, 60 amp, 80 amp, 100 amp?

3. Tesla wall connector: Even if Standard Range Model Y uses up to 32 amp only, is it better to install the Tesla wall connector on a higher circuit breaker for the future? (In case I get a LR or performance model). If so, which amp circuit is recommended?

Thank you for answering my questions.

1.) 40 amp circuit will provide the fastest charge rate. However, you can use the mobile connector with smaller circuits if you buy additional adapters from Tesla's website.

2.) Up to 60 amps. However, the standard range Model Y has an onboard charger limit of 32 amps, so you will see no benefit in a 60 amp circuit over a 40 amp circuit.

Remember the 80% rule, where you only load a circuit up to 80% of its capacity. A 40 amp circuit will provide 32 amp charging, while a 60 amp circuit will provide 48 amps of charging.

3.) What size you choose depends on the power you have available in your circuit breaker panel and your desire to future-proof yourself. If you end up buying something like a Cybertruck in the future, being able to charge at 48 amps will make a big difference compared to 32 amps.

Reactions: K5TRX
The Mobile Connector can be used for home charging day to day but you should not plug and unplug the NEMA 14-50 power plug from the receptacle each time as the 14-50 receptacle is normally not designed for a high number of plug and unplug operations. The Mobile Connector is not weather rated so it should not be exposed to water/rain if you can help it.

I recommend that you don't let the Mobile Connector hang down supported by just the power plug. The receptacle and the power plug are not designed to support the weight of the Mobile Connector. You can fashion a hook or a bracket (Tesla sells a cable organizer that includes a chassis holder (Tesla calls the Mobile Connector electronics unit the chassis.)

The Wall Connector is designed to be hard wired into the circuit. The Wall Connector is weather rated so it can be installed outside, exposed to rain etc. The wall connector can support charging at up to 48A (requires a dedicated 60A circuit.) In the future if you plan to possibly charge more than one EV at a time the Wall Connector will eventually support load balancing so that two or more Wall Connectors can share a single circuit.

The NEMA 14-50 receptacle is designed for 240V and up to 50 amps. Normally you would install the 14-50 on a 50A breaker but a 40A circuit breaker is also allowed by code.

• Informative
Reactions: K5TRX and Skipdd
1.) 40 amp circuit will provide the fastest charge rate. However, you can use the mobile connector with smaller circuits if you buy additional adapters from Tesla's website.

2.) Up to 60 amps. However, the standard range Model Y has an onboard charger limit of 32 amps, so you will see no benefit in a 60 amp circuit over a 40 amp circuit.

Remember the 80% rule, where you only load a circuit up to 80% of its capacity. A 40 amp circuit will provide 32 amp charging, while a 60 amp circuit will provide 48 amps of charging.

3.) What size you choose depends on the power you have available in your circuit breaker panel and your desire to future-proof yourself. If you end up buying something like a Cybertruck in the future, being able to charge at 48 amps will make a big difference compared to 32 amps.

Thank you so much for answering each of my questions. It was very helpful.

The Mobile Connector can be used for home charging day to day but you should not plug and unplug the NEMA 14-50 power plug from the receptacle each time as the 14-50 receptacle is normally not designed for a high number of plug and unplug operations. The Mobile Connector is not weather rated so it should not be exposed to water/rain if you can help it.

I recommend that you don't let the Mobile Connector hang down supported by just the power plug. The receptacle and the power plug are not designed to support the weight of the Mobile Connector. You can fashion a hook or a bracket (Tesla sells a cable organizer that includes a chassis holder (Tesla calls the Mobile Connector electronics unit the chassis.)

The Wall Connector is designed to be hard wired into the circuit. The Wall Connector is weather rated so it can be installed outside, exposed to rain etc. The wall connector can support charging at up to 48A (requires a dedicated 60A circuit.) In the future if you plan to possibly charge more than one EV at a time the Wall Connector will eventually support load balancing so that two or more Wall Connectors can share a single circuit.

The NEMA 14-50 receptacle is designed for 240V and up to 50 amps. Normally you would install the 14-50 on a 50A breaker but a 40A circuit breaker is also allowed by code.

Thank you for your reply. I am leaning toward getting a Tesla Wall Connector..

Reactions: ShamDeluxe

I am not sure if I am reading the Wall Connector details table correctly Wall Connector , I think the Model Y can do up to 48A, so a 60 amp circuit will help.

Reactions: scabbotts
not that I dont want to answer your question or be 'smart' to you - but - the specs are on the Tesla web site with the wall charger... You should give this to your electrician.. I have 3 wall chargers -- need Cooper cable -- I have panel availability so I ran 3 60 amp circuits. Depends on your panel/power availability.

Thank you for your reply. I am leaning toward getting a Tesla Wall Connector..
My only issue with the Wall Connector, all of Tesla's charging units actually, is that the charging cable is only 18 ft in length. For maximum reach and flexibility a charging cord should be 24 to 25 ft long. The charging port on the Tesla vehicles is on the driver's side rear quarter panel by the tail light. This location kind of presupposes that you will back into your parking space or garage. That is not how I prefer to park at home in my garage. Choose the location of the Wall Connector or NEMA 14-50 receptacle carefully so the charging cord can easily reach the Tesla vehicle's charging port.

Note: The Tesla Wall Connector needs to be in a location where the Wall Connector is able to connect to a WiFi network for initial setup and for firmware updates.

• Informative
Reactions: Skipdd
My only issue with the Wall Connector, all of Tesla's charging units actually, is that the charging cable is only 18 ft in length. For maximum reach and flexibility a charging cord should be 24 to 25 ft long. The charging port on the Tesla vehicles is on the driver's side rear quarter panel by the tail light. This location kind of presupposes that you will back into your parking space or garage. That is not how I prefer to park at home in my garage. Choose the location of the Wall Connector or NEMA 14-50 receptacle carefully so the charging cord can easily reach the Tesla vehicle's charging port.

Note: The Tesla Wall Connector needs to be in a location where the Wall Connector is able to connect to a WiFi network for initial setup and for firmware updates.

I have a location in mind for the wall connector, and I will make sure it has the wifi signal in that location. Thanks for the information.

How do you connect the wall charger to the WiFi? Is it an, after your app is connected to you car kinda thing?

How do you connect the wall charger to the WiFi? Is it an, after your app is connected to you car kinda thing?

Once it gets turned on, it'll go into Wi-Fi mode. If you miss the chance, press and hold the button on the plug for like five seconds and it will go back into Wi-Fi mode. A pamphlet comes with it. You connect to the Wall Connector and then go to the address in the pamphlet that came with the charger and you'll be able to set everything up.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
not that I dont want to answer your question or be 'smart' to you - but - the specs are on the Tesla web site with the wall charger... You should give this to your electrician.. I have 3 wall chargers -- need Cooper cable -- I have panel availability so I ran 3 60 amp circuits. Depends on your panel/power availability.

Really not required to have this much juice. You do know all 3 can be hooked up to a single 60a circuit right? they are rather smart as they regulate charge as required to each unit. Lets say you have 3 cars plugged in but 2 are fully charged, the third get the full capacity of the charger. If 2 cars need charging then they will both receive half the capacity of the charger. 1 car plugged in will get full capacity of the charger.

Reactions: scabbotts