Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla quietly released a new cheaper and upgraded ‘Tesla Wall Connector’

Price drop apparently for this device, but I admit that I really don't understand all the electrical charging stuff. I have a model S on order (with a single charger-not dual), and I'm only going to have one Tesla vehicle for the foreseeable future. So, can someone explain to me what the Tesla Wall Connector would do for me beyond what my NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage will do other than not having to get my charger cable out every time I want to charge the car?.......faster charging? something else? Thanks!!

Presuming your breaker panel has the capacity, it will also charge faster than the NEMA 14-50. 40 amps vs. 48. To some this may be worth it.

I believe the standard for both 50A and 60A circuit wiring is 6 gauge. If the outlet was initially done with 6 ga, then an upgrade would be easy assuming capacity in the panel. Need to double check the wire size, some folks appear to use smaller 8 ga for 14-50.

Beyond the increased charging rate, it's nice to leave the mobile charging accessories in the car and never have to worry about moving cables around, etc. The HPWC gets hard wired into your panel and you just drive in and plug in the car when ready to charge. It looks nice, and the convenience factor is a huge plus in my book.

I believe the standard for both 50A and 60A circuit wiring is 6 gauge. If the outlet was initially done with 6 ga, then an upgrade would be easy assuming capacity in the panel. Need to double check the wire size, some folks appear to use smaller 8 ga for 14-50.

Wire-in-conduit: #8 minimum for 50A, #6 minimum for 60A (good to 65)
NM cable (Romex): #6 minimum for 50A (good to 55), #4 minimum for 60A (good to 70)

This is because NM cable / Romex must use the 60 degree ampacity column in the NEC - 310.15(B)(16), and conduit can use the 75 degree column for typical terminations.

• Helpful
Reactions: dgpcolorado
Also, the wall connector (AKA HPWC) is currently "unavailable for purchase online." Looks as if it was redesigned, too -- there is now a place to hook the end of the cable on the side of the unit, rather like the superchargers. (At least, I do not recall such a cable hanger previously.)

Also, the wall connector (AKA HPWC) is currently "unavailable for purchase online." Looks as if it was redesigned, too -- there is now a place to hook the end of the cable on the side of the unit, rather like the superchargers. (At least, I do not recall such a cable hanger previously.)

Clarification: The version with the shorter (8.5 foot) cable is available to order, but not the one with the longer 24 ft. cord.

I think it would become really tiresome to pack and unpack your UMC each time you left home and returned if you were doing a destination charge. I have a HPWC in my garage and leave my UMC with adapters in the bag in the rear trunk. Therefore, it is always with the S. The HPWC is purpose built and the cable is substantial.

That said, the new HPWC has two variants now, one with a long cable and the other with a shorter 8.5 foot cable. This allows you to service two Tesla's (with the longer cable (one at a time) or simply mount the HPWC near the driver's side rear of the car with the shorter cable.

In some locations, utilities offer rebates for "charging stations" (the hardware, not the installation). For instance, here in LA, DWP rebates $750 ... exactly the cost of the HPWC.

So, for about the same wiring/installation costs, one gets the quality and convenience of a HPWC ... plus a "free" UMC to keep in the car.

I think it would become really tiresome to pack and unpack your UMC each time you left home and returned if you were doing a destination charge. I have a HPWC in my garage and leave my UMC with adapters in the bag in the rear trunk. Therefore, it is always with the S. The HPWC is purpose built and the cable is substantial.

That said, the new HPWC has two variants now, one with a long cable and the other with a shorter 8.5 foot cable. This allows you to service two Tesla's (with the longer cable (one at a time) or simply mount the HPWC near the driver's side rear of the car with the shorter cable.

Assuming you use the bag instead of tossing the whole thing in the trunk. The whole process takes me less than 20 seconds, several of which are waiting for the charging port to respond, either to open or to unlock.

Assuming you use the bag instead of tossing the whole thing in the trunk. The whole process takes me less than 20 seconds, several of which are waiting for the charging port to respond, either to open or to unlock.
Yes. I leave my UMC at home unless I am going on a road trip; I certainly don't need it in routine driving in my home area or even for short Supercharger trips with decent L2 station backup.

For a long road trip, where I might need the UMC, it isn't much hassle to just unplug it an toss it in the trunk loose. I don't understand the idea that one would need to carry it in the car all the time. Why?