Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall connector Security

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my Tesla Y is parked in an underground condo garage, I have a gen 2 wall mounted charger. There are other Teslas in the garage and I am wondering if there is a way to secure the wall charger so that some other person cannot use it to charge their Tesla? I cannot find any mention of a way to link it to my phone Tesla app to prevent unauthorized use, since I pay for the electricity. Any thoughts?

Idk of any software solution to prevent someone else from charging from your wall connector.

A mechanical solution could be to lock the connector/handle in some sort of wall-mounted enclosure, or make some kind of 3D printed cap that could be locked onto the connector with a small combination lock. (But both could be a pain to install/create and unlock/lock every time you charge.)

Lastly, you could simply put up a small sign on the wall connector indicating that it’s a private charger and hope your neighbors respect that. (Or skip the sign altogether and just presume that your neighbors will be decent human beings and not try to steal your electricity.)

When considering the odds that anyone would actually use it, and the relatively small monetary cost to you in case they did, it’s probably not worth worrying about prematurely. Then only if it becomes a problem you could think about a mechanical deterrent.

my Tesla Y is parked in an underground condo garage, I have a gen 2 wall mounted charger. There are other Teslas in the garage and I am wondering if there is a way to secure the wall charger so that some other person cannot use it to charge their Tesla? I cannot find any mention of a way to link it to my phone Tesla app to prevent unauthorized use, since I pay for the electricity. Any thoughts?
I park in a public garage like you and I added my home charger to PlugShare with my phone number, in case someone get stranded nearby.

I installed a 240 V and a 120 V plug,
and so far I only helped some neighbors with a dead battery to use my 12 V charger because they have not be driving during COVID.

I would not mind to be in touch with other Tesla or EV drivers. I even offer to a neighbor to use my charger if he was getting an EV,
as he was looking for a new car. But he finally got a $35k Mazda CX 5, at the time the Model Y SR was available for about $40k.

Last edited:
The wall charger is hardwire with conduit so that won’t work....and I believe the charging cord is hardwired into the wall charger, but the cabinet idea is a good one, thanks.
BTW does your charger is connected to your own home meter and you have ToU (Time of Use) rate, or do you have a separate meter?

Where is you circuit breaker located? If you charge only one a week, may be this could be a simple solution for disconnecting your charger.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
BTW does your charger is connected to your own home meter and you have ToU (Time of Use) rate, or do you have a separate meter?

Where is you circuit breaker located? If you charge only one a week, may be this could be a simple solution for disconnecting your charger.
The charger is connected to my home meter and I do not have ToU or a separate meter. The actual meters are in a locked room, difficult to access, so turning off the electricity is not really an option. So far no problems, I was just thinking ahead to a possible problem.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I put a switch on mine in the electrical room.