Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector Switzerland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would anyone share what the costs were for installing a wall connector in their parking space in Zurich was?
I live in an 8 year old building so hopefully all the electrics are up to scratch.

I’m a tenant planning on staying perhaps 18 months, so I don’t want to invest too much into infrastructure here.

Thanks

This depends largely on location specific detail. I had mine installed by Pfanner und Frei. You may wish to contact them for a quote.

I understand that the cost will depend on the individual set up of each persons garage, hence I was hoping to get a few replies so I could at least get an idea of the average. Getting a few quotes will take at least a few weeks, and involve several appointments where I’ll have to be off work and at home. If the general consensus is it’ll cost 1000+, I would not proceed

There are 4 main possibilities:
1) Use a nearby ordinary single phase household socket. In Switzerland that has mostly around 230V and a max. of 10A. If you have one, cost 0.
With this you can charge overnight - say over 12h about 30 kWh. With those you can e.g. drive daily to work and back with a 130-160 Km round trip. At home I charge mostly in this way.
1a) Use a nearby 16A plug (such as Type a 23 in Switzerland or a blue CEE, often used to connect washing machines), cost as above and your daily roundtrips would be stretched by a factor of 1.6 (200-250 Km)

2) Upgrade a line to 16A, mount a blue CEE single phase socket (so called camping plug socket or a Type 23). Cost of pulling lines is location dependent. Same driving range as above.

3) Install a three phase line and mount a 3x16A red CEE socket. That provides 11kW. You probably have such a plug and cable for your S. That will charge your battery overnight from nearly empty to full, if you have a 100 kWh Model S. Cost entirely location dependent.

4) Install a three phase line and mount a 3x32A red CEE (22kW) socket and/or a Type 2 Tesla Wallbox. Then in 6h or so you could charge some Model S that have a 22kW charger fully. Costs without counting the Tesla Wallbox is entirely location dependent. Expect about SFR 2000.- without a line to be pulled to the main panel and eventual changes to the panel itself. Heavy items in this are a special FI at 750.- and an interruptor on the main panel required by EWZ as soon as you say that you will use it to charge a car, which is evidently the case with the Tesla Wallbox. Mostly this has to be downgraded to 3x16A (11kW) as the main panel may not permit more without major work and it may not be necessary as most cars cannot take more than 11kW AC anyway.

It is evident that a quote will need that:
a) you specify what you are looking for in terms of 1) to 4) above,
b) an electrician has seen the place.

As you are not planning to use that installation for long, I would think that solutions 1) or 2) might well be all you need at home.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
1) Use a nearby ordinary single phase household socket. In Switzerland that has mostly around 230V and a max. of 10A. If you have one, cost 0.
With this you can charge overnight - say over 12h about 30 kWh. With those you can e.g. drive daily to work and back with a 130-160 Km round trip. At home I charge mostly in this way.
1a) Use a nearby 16A plug (such as Type a 23 in Switzerland or a blue CEE, often used to connect washing machines), cost as above and your daily roundtrips would be stretched by a factor of 1.6 (200-250 Km)

2) Upgrade a line to 16A, mount a blue CEE single phase socket (so called camping plug socket or a Type 23). Cost of pulling lines is location dependent. Same driving range as above.

3) Install a three phase line and mount a 3x16A red CEE socket. That provides 11kW. You probably have such a plug and cable for your S. That will charge your battery overnight from nearly empty to full, if you have a 100 kWh Model S. Cost entirely location dependent.

4) Install a three phase line and mount a 3x32A red CEE (22kW) socket and/or a Type 2 Tesla Wallbox. Then in 6h or so you could charge some Model S that have a 22kW charger fully. Costs without counting the Tesla Wallbox is entirely location dependent. Expect about SFR 2000.- without a line to be pulled to the main panel and eventual changes to the panel itself. Heavy items in this are a special FI at 750.- and an interruptor on the main panel required by EWZ as soon as you say that you will use it to charge a car, which is evidently the case with the Tesla Wallbox. Mostly this has to be downgraded to 3x16A (11kW) as the main panel may not permit more without major work and it may not be necessary as most cars cannot take more than 11kW AC anyway.

As you are not planning to use that installation for long, I would think that solutions 1) or 2) might well be all you need at home.

Thanks for such a detailed and comprehensive response Alfred! Much obliged

How did it go? Did you install it?
I got a red connector installed by my landlord (3x240V max 16A so 11kW) and put my black wall charger plugged into in directly, but possible to remove at any time. It is outside by highly hidden so no one would really see it. I could find a way to lock it if needed, but you know it's zurich.
Where are you located? I'm in the west part, Kreis 9.

How did it go? Did you install it?
I got a red connector installed by my landlord (3x240V max 16A so 11kW) and put my black wall charger plugged into in directly, but possible to remove at any time. It is outside by highly hidden so no one would really see it. I could find a way to lock it if needed, but you know it's zurich.
Where are you located? I'm in the west part, Kreis 9.

I had a rather unfortunate experience. I had a Tesla-recommended electrician over to give me a quote. He said 'ummm, around 800 - 1000' but when the official quote came through it was Fr 1350! I sent an email questioning the difference and received no response. I'm therefore still where I was before; chargerless. I'm based in Horgen.

This honestly seems reasonable considering swiss prices. If you can have at least a red connector plug installed, you could charge when you want, without the convenience of the box itself.

Yes, price wise it's probably OK by Zurich standards. However, I feel like I'll be moving home in under a year so am not keen to pay out such an amount for what's little more than a temporary measure/

Thanks for the explanation Alfred,
Unfortunately I’m a bit slow in the electricity dept.
I am expecting my Model 3 in France in the spring. I have several 3 phase power outlets in my garage (with red sockets) for woodworking machines. Can I simply plug the correct cable into this without installing a wall charger?

Thanks for the explanation Alfred,
Unfortunately I’m a bit slow in the electricity dept.
I am expecting my Model 3 in France in the spring. I have several 3 phase power outlets in my garage (with red sockets) for woodworking machines. Can I simply plug the correct cable into this without installing a wall charger?
If those are the regular red CEE 5 pin sockets you should have no problem. It may be prudent to set the amps drawn in the car at first a bit lower than the maximum possible. I would start to test at 10A.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP