Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector - TERRIBLE SOFTWARE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After mulling it over for a few weeks I decided to buy a new Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector. I got it installed, turned the circuit on and then went to configure it.

Then the problems started rolling in.
  1. For starters, I scanned the QR code on the side and my phone said "no data". So I decided to look up the instructions and connected the old fashion way.
  2. Once I got into the app I went to wifi, selected my network, entered my password, and the wall connector refuses to connect to my wifi. I tried a few different times and all had the same result. I have Google WiFi with 3 access points. I decided to try connecting to my guest network and was able to get in...odd, but good enough.
  3. Now that I'm connected to wifi I check for updates because I'm stuck on 1.4.2-0. It says an update is available. It downloads and stages it. I tap install... NOTHING. Literally nothing happens.
  4. I abandon ship on that plan and resort to a manual firmware update. I followed these instructions: Troubleshooting a Gen 3 Wall Connector and download the firmware entitled `WC3-21364-20210929.signed` I connect to my wall charger's hot spot, and upload the file and install... {success: 0}. Awesome! I refresh the main page -- SAME FIRMWARE VERSION AS BEFORE!!!

So far, this has been a terrible experience. I guess I can keep my wall connector connected to my guest wifi, but WHY won't it connect to my regular network? Also, why won't this darn thing install the firmware update?! :(

I recently did the manual update (your step #4) and it worked. I have a new software version, and I see new features on the screen. Not sure what to suggest to you though.
Same. Manual update exposed new features, no issues.

In terms of your wifi, I've had a few devices not like special characters in the password, and longer passwords. You may try dumbing down the wifi password temporarily, and seeing if it helps?

FWIW I was not able to get the thing to update using the "check for updates" while connected to its built in wifi network. Also don't expect anything complex in terms of features, this is a pretty dumb device, you're not missing much with any updates.

Same. Manual update exposed new features, no issues.

In terms of your wifi, I've had a few devices not like special characters in the password, and longer passwords. You may try dumbing down the wifi password temporarily, and seeing if it helps?

FWIW I was not able to get the thing to update using the "check for updates" while connected to its built in wifi network. Also don't expect anything complex in terms of features, this is a pretty dumb device, you're not missing much with any updates.
mine updated later the next couple of days. the check for updates did not do anything at first. guest it only checks/updates at certain times.

interface is lacking and leaves something to be desired....

Reactions: Corndart
After mulling it over for a few weeks I decided to buy a new Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector. I got it installed, turned the circuit on and then went to configure it.

1. For starters, I scanned the QR code on the side and my phone said "no data". So I decided to look up the instructions and connected the old fashion way.
  2. Once I got into the app I went to wifi, selected my network, entered my password, and the wall connector refuses to connect to my wifi. I tried a few different times and all had the same result. I have Google WiFi with 3 access points. I decided to try connecting to my guest network and was able to get in...odd, but good enough.
  3. Now that I'm connected to wifi I check for updates because I'm stuck on 1.4.2-0. It says an update is available. It downloads and stages it. I tap install... NOTHING. Literally nothing happens.
  4. I abandon ship on that plan and resort to a manual firmware update. I followed these instructions: Troubleshooting a Gen 3 Wall Connector and download the firmware entitled `WC3-21364-20210929.signed` I connect to my wall charger's hot spot, and upload the file and install... {success: 0}. Awesome! I refresh the main page -- SAME FIRMWARE VERSION AS BEFORE!!!

So far, this has been a terrible experience. I guess I can keep my wall connector connected to my guest wifi, but WHY won't it connect to my regular network? Also, why won't this darn thing install the firmware update?! :(
I had similar experience….the charger can only see my guest network.

I had similar experience….the charger can only see my guest network.

Reactions: Cyberspeed
Do you have any rules on your main wifi, for example a whitelist of MAC addresses? Maybe you have other security rules in place? Maybe you've configured the wifi security method (WPA2, WPA3, etc...) to a mode that this device doesn't support?
No rules. the password is rather simple with no special characters and I confirmed my network is NOT using WPA3.

SO WEIRD. The wall charger can see my main network, but it just refuses to connect even when I'm 100% confident I type the right password.

As for the firmware, I cycled the power to the circuit and boom, the new firmware version showed correctly. WEIRD, but ok.

Also don't expect anything complex in terms of features, this is a pretty dumb device, you're not missing much with any updates.

You are speaking the absolute truth... this is FAR from the "smart charger" I thought it was going to be. The power sharing seems interesting, but I'll never be in a position to use that. Same with the access control. The fact that you have to connect to the charger's wifi hot spot to manage it is just plain lazy on Tesla's part. I have smart outlets in my house that are 100x easier to set up and manage.

Tesla's in-car software is superb. Tesla's wall charger software is terrible.

No rules. the password is rather simple with no special characters and I confirmed my network is NOT using WPA3.

SO WEIRD. The wall charger can see my main network, but it just refuses to connect even when I'm 100% confident I type the right password.

As for the firmware, I cycled the power to the circuit and boom, the new firmware version showed correctly. WEIRD, but ok.

You are speaking the absolute truth... this is FAR from the "smart charger" I thought it was going to be. The power sharing seems interesting, but I'll never be in a position to use that. Same with the access control. The fact that you have to connect to the charger's wifi hot spot to manage it is just plain lazy on Tesla's part. I have smart outlets in my house that are 100x easier to set up and manage.

Tesla's in-car software is superb. Tesla's wall charger software is terrible.
I feel you. Only reason I went with with Tesla and not Chargepoint (after buying one) is not to have to futz with the adapter. Having some regrets but its installed and not going to swap it over now.

I think Teslamate or some of the other car telemetry collectors will furnish the type of data I was hoping to collect out of the charger itself, so all is not lost.

This sounds like a WiFi issue. Is your WiFi dual band? Is Band Steering enabled? How about 802.11r/k fast roaming? What is the RSSI of another device at the charger location? Are you using MAC whitelisting / blacklisting? What's the size of the DHCP pool? There are many factors that could be causing it not to connect or communicate properly. People have an overly simplistic view of how WiFi works. The reality is that it is extremely complicated and a miracle that it works most of the time.

My charger says update available. I select INSTALL. It just spins like it’s trying to load. Tried Manual update, but the wall charger does not show the option to select file, only option is Install. I’m on 1.4.4. Is that the latest? God knows I can’t get it to update regardless of how I do it. Works just fine, so heck with it. Interesting the wall charger will not see a hotspot like my iPhone 13?

I’m not sure what protocols an iPhone 13 presents. To get some devices to connect, I had to select maximize compatibility in the phone hotspot setup menu. This is a new setting I have never seen before.

I don’t have a gen3 WC…. So I cannot compare…. But quite a few things stopped working fir me when I moved to the 13. I was better once the setting was changed.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptUAL

i was able to connect better on the phone than on my iPad For some reason. Once it connects to Wi-Fi, I just left it alone and overnight it updated the firmware automatically.

Reactions: CaptUAL
i was able to connect better on the phone than on my iPad For some reason. Once it connects to Wi-Fi, I just left it alone and overnight it updated the firmware automatically.
good news.

key is to make sure you phone/ipad etc.. is not switching back to your regular data/wifi source. It thinks since there is no data you will want to switch back. just change the setting in your wifi to stop the auto switch and it should fix.

I feel you. Only reason I went with with Tesla and not Chargepoint (after buying one) is not to have to futz with the adapter. Having some regrets but its installed and not going to swap it over now.

I think Teslamate or some of the other car telemetry collectors will furnish the type of data I was hoping to collect out of the charger itself, so all is not lost.
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't want to mess with an adapter and not having the button to press to unlock the charger. Whenever I use my adapter I always forget how to unlock the charger to get the adapter off. It's a pain and I don't want to deal with it.

This sounds like a WiFi issue. Is your WiFi dual band? Is Band Steering enabled? How about 802.11r/k fast roaming? What is the RSSI of another device at the charger location? Are you using MAC whitelisting / blacklisting? What's the size of the DHCP pool? There are many factors that could be causing it not to connect or communicate properly. People have an overly simplistic view of how WiFi works. The reality is that it is extremely complicated and a miracle that it works most of the time.
I have 34 wifi devices on my network right now ranging from cameras to smart switches to computers to garage door openers. And my kids are at school so when they're here it's actually 36. I have NEVER had any issues connecting any devices to my wifi network. I'm using a standard Google wifi with 3 access points. WPA3 turned OFF. No mac filtering. NOTHING. It's a vanilla install. I've NEVER had a problem with ANY device.

And even then...it connects to my guest network just fine (which is powered by the same hardware, so... WTF?!

• Funny
Reactions: Corndart
Whenever I use my adapter I always forget how to unlock the charger to get the adapter off. It's a pain and I don't want to deal with it.
I know you don't want to deal with it and don't want to hear about it, but whenever you do need to use a J1772 plug, getting them out is really simple and foolproof, but there is a technique. Don't leave the adapter in the port. Press AND HOLD the release latch on the J1772 handle, which will unlock the port in the car, but then grab hold of the adapter with your other hand and pull them out together. No need for messing around with the mobile app or the touch screen in the car to unlock or release anything. Here's a video that shows it.

I installed a wall connector today and it was very simple and the software worked well. I experienced the same thing mentioned earlier with the wifi on my phone switching back on my home network but it was easy to switch it back and refresh the wall connector's page to connect it to wifi, update software, etc.

Installed two new Wall Connectors yesterday. One commissioning went flawlessly, and automatically updated to 21.36.5 firmware. The other connected with a little more trouble, but finally did. Firmware is still on 1.4.2-0. Triggering the search for an update only resulted in saying no updates were available. Tried connecting the first to the second for power sharing, but it could not find the second one, even when I specified the SSID and password. Charging is fine on both. I guess I will wait to see if the second one finds the new firmware on its own. I agree, this is not a quality interface and is troublesome. If only the Tesla app would show and allow configuring the Wall Connectors... :(
First one: IMG_4136.PNG Second one: 2.png

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Installed two new Wall Connectors yesterday. One commissioning went flawlessly, and automatically updated to 21.36.5 firmware. The other connected with a little more trouble, but finally did. Firmware is still on 1.4.2-0. Triggering the search for an update only resulted in saying no updates were available. Tried connecting the first to the second for power sharing, but it could not find the second one, even when I specified the SSID and password. Charging is fine on both. I guess I will wait to see if the second one finds the new firmware on its own. I agree, this is not a quality interface and is troublesome. If only the Tesla app would show and allow configuring the Wall Connectors... :(
First one: View attachment 748048 Second one: View attachment 748049
after commissioning mine it took 2-3 days for firmware to update on mine. I was ready to do it manually.

Yes the user interface is lacking....

Reactions: danaleighton