TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla wall connector to non-Tesla cars?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by scottman71, Jul 28, 2018.

1. scottman71

scottman71 Member

Can I charge a non-Tesla EV using a Tesla wall connector at home? I know there are aftermarket adaptors that are supposed to work, but not sure what the current thinking is.

Thanks!

2. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

Not easily, not cheaply. But if you use a 14-50 plug and either the wall charger outfitted with a plug, or the mobile charger, then it is a piece of cake. You may sacrifice a few amps of charging, but I doubt if you'll notice the different. I've got a 2018 Leaf as well, so I can switch back and forth with a 14-50 plug.

3. BioSehnsucht

BioSehnsucht Model 3 LR

JDapter Stub

Converts the Tesla proprietary connector to J1772 for use with other EVs. Only works for L1/L2 AC charging of course, not superchargers.

Appears to be available in 40A and 80A versions. There's nothing stopping you from accidentally charging at over 40A on the 40A model so you should buy the version you need, or risk a fire hazard if you manage to draw more than 40A (due to forgetting to set a charge limit in the car, or it resetting, or ... )

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. scottman71

scottman71 Member

Thanks @ewoodrick. Sorry for sounding like a noob, but I'm confused. Does the Tesla connector plug into the 14-50 outlet or are you saying the connector can be outfitted with a plug for a different EV? TIA

5. scottman71

scottman71 Member

I read about that, but also a lot of blowback from people thinking this was to steal power from Tesla charging stations. Just want something stable/leagl/non-fire inducing for home use.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

#6 SageBrush, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    I was already using a 7.7 kW J1772 EVSE before the Tesla arrived, so now I use that for both cars. I'm thinking about buying an extra J1772->Tesla adapter so I don't have to use the one I keep in the car. I'll attach a Tesla holster to my outside location and let the adapter live there, sometimes free and sometimes attached to the EVSE.

It will be a nice convenience for about $110

7. BioSehnsucht

BioSehnsucht Model 3 LR

If you go the 14-50 route with the intent of swapping between HPWC/UMC and another device (such as a J1772 EVSE), be sure to get a receptacle rated for a high number of plug/unplug cycles. Some are not expected to be repeatedly plugged/unplugged and so may eventually become a fire hazard as the receptacle wears out.

• Informative x 1
  8. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

I don't see how it could be illegal? I haven't heard of Tesla attempting to assert a patent or anything. It's sort of an ethical grey area with using it for a Destination chargers but that's a choice to be made by the Destination charger host, and that's not your intended use anyway.

I haven't heard about any failure of these (melting). What's your HWPC set to for maximum current?

The only question that would arise for me is it really worth $240, and left having to swap the cable between two vehicles, rather than whatever it'd cost to have a J1772 station/or 14-50 plug installed and being able to have both plugged in (and potentially set to charge at offsetting times if you're worried about total draw on your home's panel)?

9. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

Perfectly fine to use the adapter to charge non-Teslas at Tesla destination charging stations as long as the property owner says it's ok.

Charging A Bolt EV At A Tesla Destination Station? Sure You Can!

10. SageBrush

#10 SageBrush, Jul 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    • Like x 1
  11. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

You mean a 3-pole where you throw the switch back and forth to choose which plug is live? I've never seen one. They may exist but that'd be a sizable chunk of gear (to stand up to repeated use) and it'd probably end up cheaper and simpler to just run a second separate circuit from your panel. Or if it's a long run maybe run a larger gauge to a sub panel next to where the plugs are.

12. SageBrush

#12 SageBrush, Jul 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    Yep. Miimura found one; I updated my earlier post.

For those of us with a Tesla and a J1772 car, I think it is more straightforward to plug in a J1772 EVSE and use the J1772-Tesla adapter. I also trust Tesla a whole lot more to make a safe adapter than Tony.

• Like x 1
  13. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

$172, yeah I was thinking ballpark of be about $200. That pays for a lot of polymer-coated copper and the few dollars for an extra breaker in you panel. ;)

14. SageBrush

Perhaps. Off-hand I can think of two scenarios where it would be a good solution:
    • No room in the panel for another double sized breaker
    • An expensive run out to a 14-50 socket is in place. Turning the end of the run into a switch that feeds one of two sockets at a time may be a lot less electrician labor.

15. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

In a pinch with a very awkward, difficult run, even if it was relatively short, maybe. I hate the clunking of throwing those switches, gives me the eebie-jeebies but that's a personal hang-up.

Daily messing around with the adapter probably isn't a good thing, either. One more thing to wear out.

• Informative x 1
  16. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.42.2

Could the Dryer Buddy work but use it for two EVSE instead of a dryer and an EVSE?
    www.bsaelectronics.com/collections/dryer-buddys
    The auto switching does add a lot to the cost but would make operation easier.

• Informative x 1
  17. arnolddeleon

arnolddeleon Supporting Member

Tesla doesn't have a monopoly on competent engineers in this space. Based on what I've seen of the early UMCs and Tony's work I would actually put my money on @TonyWilliams if this was a horse race.

• Like x 3
  18. scottman71

scottman71 Member

At this point all we have is the upcoming M3. Daughter will be driving in 6 months and at that point we'll get a J1772 car for my wife. Does charging with the Tesla wall connector offer anything more than plugging into a standard J1772? (i.e. More info in the Tesla app etc)

19. SageBrush

The reporting comes from the car, so no difference there.

Using a J1772 EVSE for a Tesla carries the inconvenience of connecting/disconnecting the adapter depending which car you are charging. Of course that same inconvenience is present with the Tesla, just in reverse. If you use a Tesla EVSE with a Tesla the handle has a button that lets you unlock and remove the handle. If a J1772 EVSE is used with an adapter to a Tesla you have to unlock the connection either via the car screen ,the phone app or the card.

20. SageBrush

Be my guest