Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector to non-Tesla cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At this point all we have is the upcoming M3. Daughter will be driving in 6 months and at that point we'll get a J1772 car for my wife. Does charging with the Tesla wall connector offer anything more than plugging into a standard J1772? (i.e. More info in the Tesla app etc)

The Tesla HPWC doesn't offer any information (all the info is from the car), there are some J1772 units that do provide additional information and controls. With two cars, you can have 2 HPWCs daisy-chained on a single circuit and the two units will talk to each other so that the units will not charge concurrently.

The Tesla HPWC doesn't offer any information (all the info is from the car), there are some J1772 units that do provide additional information and controls. With two cars, you can have 2 HPWCs daisy-chained on a single circuit and the two units will talk to each other so that the units will not charge concurrently.
You can actually daisy-chain up to 4 wall connectors together and they will balance the load automatically. We installed 3 daisy-chained signature black wall connectors last week. If all cars are scheduled to charge at the same time, it will split the load automatically. As each car finishes charging, it will devide the remaining charge between the other cars. It has no problem charging the cars concurrently.

So this will work with non-Tesla vehicles using the charger? It's nothing particularly special in the Tesla vehicle itself that does this, the HPWC is doing all the work to scale down the charge rate negotiated?

You can actually daisy-chain up to 4 wall connectors together and they will balance the load automatically. We installed 3 daisy-chained signature black wall connectors last week. If all cars are scheduled to charge at the same time, it will split the load automatically. As each car finishes charging, it will devide the remaining charge between the other cars. It has no problem charging the cars concurrently.

Thanks for clarifying, I meant to say they wouldn't each charge at the full rate concurrently so as not to double (or triple) the capacity of the circuit - those few extra words make a big difference.

For those of us with a Tesla and a J1772 car, I think it is more straightforward to plug in a J1772 EVSE and use the J1772-Tesla adapter. I also trust Tesla a whole lot more to make a safe adapter than Tony.

That's throwing a bit of unjust shade on Tony and his work, don't you think? I've owned the JDapter Stub for over a year now (and use it daily to charge my Bolt/Volt via a Gen 2 UMC). Has worked flawlessly. And I don't think @TonyWilliams has ever had to recall one of his products.
Tesla recalls charging adapters after overheating

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Another vote for the JDapter. I drive a FIAT 500e to drop the kids off at school > train station > home, using about 20-25% of its tiny battery per day. (My wife gets the S to chauffeur them and my niece and friends around AFTER school.)

Most days I’m totally fine on the L1 120v charger, but once or twice per week, I might do a lot of driving that necessitates charging up during the day, hence I bought the JDapter and love it.

It is admittedly an additional 30 seconds of inconvenience over another dedicated L2 charger, but the cost to install another dedicated circuit + wire + charger, the JDapter seemed like a no brained.

Our HPWC is set for 60amps, but my FIAT can only max draw 30amps, so I don’t need to fiddle with anything on the HPWC side of things. I’ve plugged in my FIAT after getting close to 0% and after 2 hours at 30 amps, the plug and cord are barely warm to the touch, so I’m confident it’s not going to burn up.

That's throwing a bit of unjust shade on Tony and his work, don't you think? I've owned the JDapter Stub for over a year now (and use it daily to charge my Bolt/Volt via a Gen 2 UMC). Has worked flawlessly. And I don't think @TonyWilliams has ever had to recall one of his products.
Tesla recalls charging adapters after overheating

I’ve got a whole bucket full of failed Tesla charge stations, as well as melted Tesla NEMA 14-50 plugs, and lots of other goodies made not so well by Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
It seems Tesla Wall Connectors have been spotted in the wild with J1772 connectors.

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Another consideration, probably deserving of a whole new thread, is whether the Tesla Wall Connector for Europe and Australia can charge other non-Tesla vehicles. Given that Tesla cars in those markets are fitted with Type-2 (Mennekes) receptacles, it stands to reason that the Tesla HPWC plug will fit BMW, VW, Hyundai etc. cars without an adapter. But will it work?

-Alex

I also trust Tesla a whole lot more to make a safe adapter than Tony.
Tesla doesn't make their adapters; the cheapest Chinese supplier makes them and Tesla slaps their name on it. I trust American-made products far more than Chinese prison labor.
I don't know Tony and haven't purchased one of his adapters, but I know something about small businesses, including that his reputation depends upon every single product he makes, so I bet he puts a lot more care into his design and manufacture.

Tesla doesn't make their adapters; the cheapest Chinese supplier makes them and Tesla slaps their name on it. I trust American-made products far more than Chinese prison labor.
I don't know Tony and haven't purchased one of his adapters, but I know something about small businesses, including that his reputation depends upon every single product he makes, so I bet he puts a lot more care into his design and manufacture.

I'm assuming you pulled out all the Chinese made components from your Tesla? What are you using for the ECU?

I'm assuming you pulled out all the Chinese made components from your Tesla? What are you using for the ECU?
Oh, let's not get started on failures in the logging memory, there are enough threads on that already.
Also, I'm not anti-Chinese product Luddite; I do use many Chinese-made products because there often are simply no other options. I said that I trust American-made products far more and I stand by that statement.

Oh, let's not get started on failures in the logging memory, there are enough threads on that already.
Also, I'm not anti-Chinese product Luddite; I do use many Chinese-made products because there often are simply no other options. I said that I trust American-made products far more and I stand by that statement.
I think you mean American assembled Chinese components by a hack who has broken whatever certs they carried. Be my guest.

• Funny
Reactions: SammichLover