Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector vs NEMA 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is directly from the IRS website:

Qualified alternative fuel vehicle refueling property is any property (other than a building or its structural components) used for either of the following:
  • To store or dispense an alternative fuel (defined below) other than electricity into the fuel tank of a motor vehicle propelled by the fuel, but only if the storage or dispensing is at the point where the fuel is delivered into that tank.
  • To recharge an electric vehicle, but only if the recharging property is located at the point where the vehicle is recharged.
In addition, the following requirements must be met to qualify for the credit.
  • You placed the refueling property in service during your tax year.
  • The original use of the property began with you.
  • The property isn’t used predominantly outside the United States.
  • If the property isn’t business/investment use property, the property must be installed on property used as your main home.
It sounds like to me a 14-50 outlet counts but I'm not a tax expert. I got a quote locally here in SC to install the Wall Connector for $1,175. Includes wall connector, 60 amp breaker, wiring, and conduit. So 30% of that I will probably be collecting as a refund on my tax return for 2021 (still looking for other quotes also).

14-50 outlet and all associated costs definitely counts.

I'm going to look into that EV tax credit. But can you claim it if you don't itemize? Does anybody know? I always file my own taxes online (freefillableforms), so will look for that next time, and read the instructions carefully, like I always do :). I rather interpret the law myself, since I'd be responsible for any errors anyway :).

Reactions: Jeremy3292
I went with the 14-50 but only because I'm not super informed on the wall charger process. I was under the impression costs to install can be thousands. Maybe I'm thinking of the powerbank? Either way, the 240v outlet cost $400 to install and $45 for the 14-50 adapter from Tesla.

I don't consider $445 to get 34mph charge (vs. 6mph standard outlet) a bad deal. It will pay for itself quickly and that's before accounting for efficiency or the IRS deduction.

Ultimately, I'm not that concerned about faster charging speeds. It basically takes 5 hours to recharge 175 miles, and even though I leave it plugged in when I'm not driving, it never seems to be charging long before it stops at around the 88% capacity I set as a limit.

Definitely think the wall charger looks cooler, though!

EDIT: I should mention that I got the 240v outlet installed in a few hours notice from an electrician that was a family friend and the 14-50 adapter arrived a few hours later. I HIGHLY doubt I could have gotten a more complicated charging system installed that quickly, so the timeframe was so efficient for me I'd do that again every time.

Reactions: mrau