TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla wall connector w/ J1772?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by scaesare, Jul 5, 2013.

1. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Staying at the Omni in Richmond VA, specifically because they have an EV charger.It turns out it's a Tesla unit, but has a J1772 on it. It's a larger, older looking wall mount box that provides 70 amps.It looks like maybe an old Roadster charger, but did they have 1772's on them?

Odd...

2. Ceilidh

Ceilidh Member

Clipper Creek made the original roadster chargers if I recall correctly. Many of the clipper creek roadster chargers have been converted over to j1772s for wider compatibility while retaining the 70 amp current. There is even one (maybe 2?) exactly as you decribed at the clipper creek HQ in Auburn, CA.

Enjoy the high amps. Rare at a hotel, in my experience.

Cheers.

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#3 TEG, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
    The very early HPCs were Tesla made, then they switched to Clipper Creek for most of the rest.
    Yes, the Rabobanks here in California have some with the Roadster end switched to J1772. It sucks if you get there with a 70A capable roadster only to find a 3.3kW LEAF/Volt/PiP using the EVSE already.

Every Roadster owner on a road trip should carry some sort of J1772 adapter as the ones with Roadster plugs are fewer and fewer.

4. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

I know the Leaf charger is small compared to the Model S 10kW unit, but 3.3A? ;)

5. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

He means 3.3 kw, but the newer 2013 Leafs have 6.6 kw 30 amp onboard chargers.

6. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Looked at the charger closely this evening (another Model S has checked in to the hotel and was using it).

It only had Tesla markings on the ID plate (no Clipper Creek), and is a model TS-70.

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I think the TS-70 was a rebranded / modified Clipper Creek CS-70...
    cs-ts.jpg

8. Ceilidh

Ceilidh Member

Yep. Those are the ones I was thinking of. And yes, the roadster chargers did not say clipper creek on them anywhere obvious if I remember correctly. Those photos show how they are essentially the same thing though.

As an aside, the owners or clipper creek are very generous with free 70 amp chargers at their CA HQ if you ever are passing by Auburn. With the Folsom SC this is perhaps less important now but still it is nice to have more access to more amps...

cheers

9. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Yup, that's it... Thanks.