Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector w/ J1772?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
Staying at the Omni in Richmond VA, specifically because they have an EV charger.It turns out it's a Tesla unit, but has a J1772 on it. It's a larger, older looking wall mount box that provides 70 amps.It looks like maybe an old Roadster charger, but did they have 1772's on them?

Odd...

The very early HPCs were Tesla made, then they switched to Clipper Creek for most of the rest.
Yes, the Rabobanks here in California have some with the Roadster end switched to J1772. It sucks if you get there with a 70A capable roadster only to find a 3.3kW LEAF/Volt/PiP using the EVSE already.

Every Roadster owner on a road trip should carry some sort of J1772 adapter as the ones with Roadster plugs are fewer and fewer.

Last edited:
The very early HPCs were Tesla made, then they switched to Clipper Creek for most of the rest.
Yes, the Rabobanks here in California have some with the Roadster end switched to J1772. It sucks if you get there with a 70A capable roadster only to find a 3.3A LEAF/Volt/PiP using the EVSE already.

I know the Leaf charger is small compared to the Model S 10kW unit, but 3.3A? ;)

Looked at the charger closely this evening (another Model S has checked in to the hotel and was using it).

It only had Tesla markings on the ID plate (no Clipper Creek), and is a model TS-70.

I think the TS-70 was a rebranded / modified Clipper Creek CS-70...
cs-ts.jpg

Yep. Those are the ones I was thinking of. And yes, the roadster chargers did not say clipper creek on them anywhere obvious if I remember correctly. Those photos show how they are essentially the same thing though.

As an aside, the owners or clipper creek are very generous with free 70 amp chargers at their CA HQ if you ever are passing by Auburn. With the Folsom SC this is perhaps less important now but still it is nice to have more access to more amps...

cheers