Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looking at getting a Tesla wall connector installed. I approached a chap that did my PV but he shied away as he thought that it might need an approved installer to get the warranty.

Is this the case, or does it just need to be registered on my account? 4 years?

I had my Tesla Wall Connector installed by an approved installer. When I ordered he took my RN number to link the charger to my car & said that the warranty would start when I get the car. Although I don't see anything charger related in my Tesla account.

I looking at getting a Tesla wall connector installed. I approached a chap that did my PV but he shied away as he thought that it might need an approved installer to get the warranty.

Is this the case, or does it just need to be registered on my account? 4 years?
I bought mine after I’d ordered the car. I picked it up from Stockport SC, and was told there that as long as they linked the purchase to my Tesla account I would have a four year warranty on the charger. No mention was made of installation. I just got my local Sparky to fit it.

Tesla Wall Connectors are not eligible for OLEV Grant (or EST charger supplement in Scotland). Nor are any other non-smart chargers.

I believe you get another 2 years warranty if you get a charger with an OLEV grant (my guarantee with a smart OE charger says that the one year warranty becomes three if the purchase was OLEV grant aided).

So, while the cool light and the Open button are nice, I did not get the Tesla Wall Connector.

Thanks for info but I’m not bothered about OLEV or smart chargers. Want something simple and convenient to use that’s been installed to my requirements and not to a grant installers menu price.

Just looking for a reliable installer who will do a proper job. Unfortunately of the two I had in mind, one is no longer NICEIC registered and the other one reluctant to install something he is not trained on. Hoping to twist latter ones arm.

Reactions: GrumpyManUK
The installer who is hesitant to install because he isn't trained, let him know that it is VERY simple to install. If he has run line to outlets before he can install the charger, if he is still unsure print out the instructions and let him have a read.

Thanks for info but I’m not bothered about OLEV or smart chargers. Want something simple and convenient to use that’s been installed to my requirements and not to a grant installers menu price.

Just looking for a reliable installer who will do a proper job. Unfortunately of the two I had in mind, one is no longer NICEIC registered and the other one reluctant to install something he is not trained on. Hoping to twist latter ones arm.

These guys were on the Tesla website as approved installers and did mine.

Blueserve Facilities

Dan Jackson’s the man, and they were great. They also installed the replacement when the first one stopped working (a common control wire failure that a revised model doesn’t suffer from).

Tesla were great too, I rang Roadside from the car whilst the charger was plugged in. They could see the problem and sent a new unit out next day. Also reimbursed the cost of switching the units over.

Reactions: MrBadger
The installer who is hesitant to install because he isn't trained, let him know that it is VERY simple to install. If he has run line to outlets before he can install the charger, if he is still unsure print out the instructions and let him have a read.

That’s not entirely true - EV charging has a number of considerations quite different from socket circuits.

Certainly some electricians are accustomed to a wide variety of jobs and dipping into the regs book to figure out a new situation - someone like that will have no trouble. Others may be excellent craftsmen and be able to do the small range of jobs they do every day better than anybody else, but then struggle to get the details right on something new.

Tesla were great too, I rang Roadside from the car whilst the charger was plugged in. They could see the problem and sent a new unit out next day. Also reimbursed the cost of switching the units over.

That intrigues me. Do you know if they are communicating with the TWC via the car or simply seeing logged behaviour through the car that points back to a problem with the charger?

If former, that would be pretty clever.

He is trained on one wall connector but not Tesla’s. He is awaiting OLEV registration I think with the wall connector he is trained on and when he gets that he will do others. Just a bit reluctant if Tesla wouldn’t honour warranty unless it was via approved installer. He did my PV and very happy with his work.

That intrigues me. Do you know if they are communicating with the TWC via the car or simply seeing logged behaviour through the car that points back to a problem with the charger?

If former, that would be pretty clever.

They could see that the car was communicating correctly with the unit, but that the unit wasn’t responding in the way it should. This was one of the reasons I went for the Tesla unit - I didn’t want any arguments about whose bit of kit was to blame.

The fact it looks the best also helped, and the button press to open the charge port is very useful. From exiting the car and without rushing it takes me way less than 10 seconds to plug in.

He is trained on one wall connector but not Tesla’s. He is awaiting OLEV registration I think with the wall connector he is trained on and when he gets that he will do others. Just a bit reluctant if Tesla wouldn’t honour warranty unless it was via approved installer. He did my PV and very happy with his work.
As well as the manual online (you also get a printed copy with the charger) my electrician found a short Tesla video covering the basic installation steps. He said this was useful because it gave him a few tips that weren’t in the booklet. My man had installed other EV chargers, but not the Tesla one, but he said it was well made and easy to install.