Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall connector with 14-50 NEMA plug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know what happened to the Tesla Wall Connector that came with a 14-50 NEMA plug rather than the hardwire version? It was a good solution for someone who already has a 220V 14-50 outlet in their garage. I have a friend moving in to a brand new home that has the 14-50 outlet in place and would rather not have to hardwire a wall connector. The product seems to have completely vanished from the Tesla website. Did it get discontinued?

I stopped by two Tesla service centers yesterday to ask around. One guy never heard of it, the second guy knew about it and had no idea it wasn’t on the website any more.

You could use a mobile connector with 14-50 plug adapter, although the maximum amperage would be 32A (as opposed to 40A if the outlet is on a 50A circuit).

If the outlet is on a 50A circuit, a 40A J1772 EVSE plus the J1772->Tesla adapter that comes with a Tesla vehicle should allow for 40A charging. Examples:

Tesla doesn't sell them anymore, but others sell plenty of L2 EVSEs with 14-50 NEMA plugs.
Here are some of the options for < $450 (my random cut-off price point):

BESENERGY 40 Amp EV Charger Level 2 NEMA 14-50

Emporia Smart Level 2 EV Charger | Energy Star | Up to 48 Amp | WiFi Enabled Electric Vehicle Charger | NEMA 14-50

Grizzl-E Level 2 EV Charger, 16/24/32/40 Amp, NEMA 14-50 Plug

Plenty more to choose from here:

I did this with both gen2 and gen3 WC. Home depot sells the 50-amp whips (do not use 30-amp).

Attachments

• NJNmiDi.jpg
    NJNmiDi.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 3,068
  • QYfrtXF.jpg
    QYfrtXF.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 2,129
Does anyone know what happened to the Tesla Wall Connector that came with a 14-50 NEMA plug rather than the hardwire version? It was a good solution for someone who already has a 220V 14-50 outlet in their garage. I have a friend moving in to a brand new home that has the 14-50 outlet in place and would rather not have to hardwire a wall connector. The product seems to have completely vanished from the Tesla website. Did it get discontinued?

I stopped by two Tesla service centers yesterday to ask around. One guy never heard of it, the second guy knew about it and had no idea it wasn’t on the website any more.
That's exactly what I did. Yes, you can get a hardwired charger and get 40amps charges instead of the 32amp. But now you're not spending $400+ for the wall charger.
You can find the 14-50 on Amazon or Ebay.

You could use a mobile connector with 14-50 plug adapter, although the maximum amperage would be 32A (as opposed to 40A if the outlet is on a 50A circuit).

If the outlet is on a 50A circuit, a 40A J1772 EVSE plus the J1772->Tesla adapter that comes with a Tesla vehicle should allow for 40A charging. Examples:

I have the Grizzl-E charger and am happy with it. It’s a very high quality build (designed for Canadian winters) so the wall box and the cable are very robust, heavy duty. It’s a “dumb” charger, though, so it doesn’t have wifi or other “smart” capabilities - just plug it in and it begins charging. I have it plugged into a 14-50 outlet and I’ve seen it pull up to 11 kW on my friend’s Model Y.

Just use the mobile connector with 14-50 adapter. Or wait for corded mobile connector to come back in stock which has a max 40amp charge rate vs 32amp for the universal mobile connector
This is my current plan, especially since the corded connector is now so much cheaper. At the moment my UMC just remains permanently plugged into the 240 in my garage, but I could unplug and take it with me if I have a long road trip and want the backup option.

Reactions: puckpurnell
I did this with both gen2 and gen3 WC. Home depot sells the 50-amp whips (do not use 30-amp).

That's exactly what I did. Yes, you can get a hardwired charger and get 40amps charges instead of the 32amp. But now you're not spending $400+ for the wall charger.
You can find the 14-50 on Amazon or Ebay.

Me too! It took some Dremel surgery to make the strain relief work. BTW, there is a torque spec on the screws that secure the wires. If I remember correctly it is 50 in lb. Yes I did, of course.
What exactly did you guys do and what effect does it have on the charger and charging your Tesla?

What I did can be seen in the photos with my post. It has zero effect on charging vs hardwire. I have a 2021 SR+ so it is limited to a 32 amp charge with a level ll charger anyway. Even if you had a Tesla that would accept a higher charge rate, 32 amps is more than enough to top it up overnight. I actually often dial back the rate to 16 amps. Not sure if it is better for the battery but it can't hurt.

It just made it convenient to use my existing receptacle. I can use the supplied travel charger in a pinch if there is a failure with the Tesla wall charger. Also if and when I sell the house the next buyer is ready to go. Win win

I actually often dial back the rate to 16 amps. Not sure if it is better for the battery but it can't hurt.
It's not the least bit better for the battery. Li-ion batteries such as that in your car won't fair any better for any reduced charge current under about 0.8C. For the 54kWh battery pack in the SR+, at 240V, 0.8C would be 180A.

All you're doing by cutting the charge rate in half is keeping the charging circuitry running (and wasting additional power) for twice as long.

The corded wall connector is still listed on the website, but out of stock.

It's not the least bit better for the battery. Li-ion batteries such as that in your car won't fair any better for any reduced charge current under about 0.8C. For the 54kWh battery pack in the SR+, at 240V, 0.8C would be 180A.

All you're doing by cutting the charge rate in half is keeping the charging circuitry running (and wasting additional power) for twice as long.
I don't "waste power". I charge overnight using surplus energy that would just otherwise go to waste. And get cheap TOU rates.

I feel it can't hurt putting less stress on the electronics. How much energy can that charging circuitry use? It is all solid state.

I don't "waste power". I charge overnight using surplus energy that would just otherwise go to waste. And get cheap TOU rates.

I feel it can't hurt putting less stress on the electronics. How much energy can that charging circuitry use? It is all solid state.
There was another thread somewhere that showed the efficiency of the different charging rates, and if I remember correctly low amperage charging and really high amperage charging (level 3) were the least efficient.