TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Wall Connector with J1772 plug instead of Tesla proprietary plug

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by miimura, Sep 24, 2019.

1. miimura

miimura Well-Known Member

Native J1772 wall connectors are apparently a real thing provided by Tesla.

[​IMG]
    from Reddit. Tesla wall connector (HPWC) with native J1772 connector : teslamotors

• Informative x 5
  2. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Active Member

[​IMG]
    LIB, MR DUCKS

image from imgur.com/a/SEWU...

• Informative x 3
  3. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

Unfortunately, it's not sold directly to the public. I think it's only offered through their workplace or destination charging programs. And, of course, they have access internally to put them in at supercharger locations if the host property requests some generic J1772 L2 chargers--likely the case in this particular instance.

• Informative x 3
  4. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Active Member

#4 Watts_Up, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    When looking at Tesla Find Us for Destination Chargers, I noticed a combination of 8 kW and 16 kW.

I wonder if Tesla destination chargers are then:

Tesla Plugs (16 kW),

Tesla with J1772 (8 kW),

or a combination of Tesla plugs (16 kW) and other OEM J1772 (Generaly 7.7 kW) ?

• Informative x 1
  5. miimura

The J1772 cable and connector are only rated for 40A, so the setting should not exceed that. Most Wall Connectors with Tesla proprietary handles are rated for 80A. The version with the factory fitted 14-50 plug is an exception. It was also limited to 40A, possibly even fixed without internal adjustment.

• Informative x 2
  6. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

Interesting, I didn't realize they had different ratings. So, the result is that any 16 kW stations you know are Tesla connectors. But the 8 kW ones can be either Tesla or J1772.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. miimura

The vehicle cable on the Wall Connector version with the 14-50 plug is notably thinner than the one on the normal Wall Connector, more similar to the Mobile Connector's cable, but I haven't directly compared them. It may even use the same cable and handle assembly as the Gen1 Mobile Connector (and Corded Mobile Connector) that is also rated for 40A.
    Better stop now. The OT thread police are likely to show up at any moment.

• Funny x 1
  8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

• Funny x 1
  9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

10. WhipperDipper

WhipperDipper Member

Hey there, looking to simplify my home charging setup (Model 3 and Leaf). Can I install a J1772 cable (plug and cable) into a Tesla HPWC?

Have an old HPWC with bad plug on end, and a JB40 with a smoked contractor. Looking to move 14-50 cable over to HPWC for supply, and J1772 cable/plug to work with the vehicles. Would use adapter for Model 3. Thanks for assistance.

• Like x 1
  11. arnolddeleon

arnolddeleon Supporting Member

Yes, it's been done:

UMC conversion to J1772 (JESLA)

Make sure the HPWC settings do not exceed the rating of the J1772 plug that you use.

• Informative x 1
  12. WhipperDipper

WhipperDipper Member

Looking to do it on my own. I understand it’s been done before. Would it just involve wiring up the J1772 cable into HWPC? Power, ground, pilot...

13. arnolddeleon

That sounds roughly right, you should have 2 powers, L1 and L2. I was assuming you were planning on doing it yourself, hence the caution about setting the power output/pilot signal on the HPWC to a setting appropriate for the cable/plug you are using.

• Informative x 1
  14. WhipperDipper

WhipperDipper Member

Doesn’t seem to be a lot involved. Necessary hardware is already inline in J1772 cable. Provided HPWC is set correctly and wiring correct, it should work.

• Informative x 1
  15. WhipperDipper

WhipperDipper Member

Using a Gen 1 HPWC. Anyone know what the blue and purple wires are coming out of charging cable? Diagram or prior knowledge would be great instead of having to pin it out myself.

16. miimura

Extra wires in a HPWC cable are for temperature sensing and powering the RF transmitter to open the charge port.

Now that I think about it, not having the temp sensor connected may interfere with proper operation with a pre-made J1772 cable on a HPWC.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. WhipperDipper

WhipperDipper Member

Gen 1 connector only has 5 connectors coming out of corded end: two power, one ground, blue and purple wire.
    Will pinout each one to verify, but have hope this can be working relatively easily. If temp sensor becomes an issue, can work around this. Not required for proper operation, J1772 doesn’t have it. Just an add’t feature that isn’t needed. Thanks for the info.

• Like x 1
  18. arnolddeleon

One of the wires should be the pilot, easily tested with a continuity tester, and the other is likely the power to the transmitter.

19. UncleCreepy

UncleCreepy Member

20. WhipperDipper

WhipperDipper Member