Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector with J1772 plug instead of Tesla proprietary plug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

miimura

Aug 21, 2013
Los Altos, CA
Yes, it looks like a Tesla Wall Connector which does not have a J1772 plug, but maybe Tesla modified that one.

I assume Tesla would pay for the electricity provided in that stall.

Sad to see that the charging cable was just tossed on the ground in a heap by whoever used it last.
Native J1772 wall connectors are apparently a real thing provided by Tesla.

lDui1QedM56n1VprQj5C-Nxxxng9n8jLQg9jMDkvHCM.jpg

from Reddit. Tesla wall connector (HPWC) with native J1772 connector : teslamotors

[pic]
LIB, MR DUCKS

image from imgur.com/a/SEWU...
Unfortunately, it's not sold directly to the public. I think it's only offered through their workplace or destination charging programs. And, of course, they have access internally to put them in at supercharger locations if the host property requests some generic J1772 L2 chargers--likely the case in this particular instance.

Unfortunately, it's not sold directly to the public. I think it's only offered through their workplace or destination charging programs. And, of course, they have access internally to put them in at supercharger locations if the host property requests some generic J1772 L2 chargers--likely the case in this particular instance.
When looking at Tesla Find Us for Destination Chargers, I noticed a combination of 8 kW and 16 kW.

I wonder if Tesla destination chargers are then:

Tesla Plugs (16 kW),

Tesla with J1772 (8 kW),

or a combination of Tesla plugs (16 kW) and other OEM J1772 (Generaly 7.7 kW) ?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
No connection. The internal hardware of the two models is essentially exactly the same, it just uses a different connector. The only difference between the 16 kW and 8 kW EVSE is the electrical circuit it is on.
The J1772 cable and connector are only rated for 40A, so the setting should not exceed that. Most Wall Connectors with Tesla proprietary handles are rated for 80A. The version with the factory fitted 14-50 plug is an exception. It was also limited to 40A, possibly even fixed without internal adjustment.

The J1772 cable and connector are only rated for 40A, so the setting should not exceed that. Most Wall Connectors with Tesla proprietary handles are rated for 80A. The version with the factory fitted 14-50 plug is an exception. It was also limited to 40A, possibly even fixed without internal adjustment.
Interesting, I didn't realize they had different ratings. So, the result is that any 16 kW stations you know are Tesla connectors. But the 8 kW ones can be either Tesla or J1772.

Interesting, I didn't realize they had different ratings. So, the result is that any 16 kW stations you know are Tesla connectors. But the 8 kW ones can be either Tesla or J1772.
The vehicle cable on the Wall Connector version with the 14-50 plug is notably thinner than the one on the normal Wall Connector, more similar to the Mobile Connector's cable, but I haven't directly compared them. It may even use the same cable and handle assembly as the Gen1 Mobile Connector (and Corded Mobile Connector) that is also rated for 40A.
Better stop now. The OT thread police are likely to show up at any moment.

• Funny
When looking at Tesla Find Us for Destination Chargers, I noticed a combination of 8 kW and 16 kW.

I wonder if Tesla destination chargers are then:

Tesla Plugs (16 kW),

Tesla with J1772 (8 kW),

or a combination of Tesla plugs (16 kW) and other OEM J1772 (Generaly 7.7 kW) ?
No connection. The internal hardware of the two models is essentially exactly the same, it just uses a different connector. The only difference between the 16 kW and 8 kW EVSE is the electrical circuit it is on.

Hey there, looking to simplify my home charging setup (Model 3 and Leaf). Can I install a J1772 cable (plug and cable) into a Tesla HPWC?

Have an old HPWC with bad plug on end, and a JB40 with a smoked contractor. Looking to move 14-50 cable over to HPWC for supply, and J1772 cable/plug to work with the vehicles. Would use adapter for Model 3. Thanks for assistance.

Hey there, looking to simplify my home charging setup (Model 3 and Leaf). Can I install a J1772 cable (plug and cable) into a Tesla HPWC?

Have an old HPWC with bad plug on end, and a JB40 with a smoked contractor. Looking to move 14-50 cable over to HPWC for supply, and J1772 cable/plug to work with the vehicles. Would use adapter for Model 3. Thanks for assistance.

Yes, it's been done:

UMC conversion to J1772 (JESLA)

Make sure the HPWC settings do not exceed the rating of the J1772 plug that you use.

• Informative
Looking to do it on my own. I understand it’s been done before. Would it just involve wiring up the J1772 cable into HWPC? Power, ground, pilot...

That sounds roughly right, you should have 2 powers, L1 and L2. I was assuming you were planning on doing it yourself, hence the caution about setting the power output/pilot signal on the HPWC to a setting appropriate for the cable/plug you are using.

• Informative
Extra wires in a HPWC cable are for temperature sensing and powering the RF transmitter to open the charge port.

Now that I think about it, not having the temp sensor connected may interfere with proper operation with a pre-made J1772 cable on a HPWC.

Gen 1 connector only has 5 connectors coming out of corded end: two power, one ground, blue and purple wire.
Will pinout each one to verify, but have hope this can be working relatively easily. If temp sensor becomes an issue, can work around this. Not required for proper operation, J1772 doesn’t have it. Just an add’t feature that isn’t needed. Thanks for the info.

Gen 1 connector only has 5 connectors coming out of corded end: two power, one ground, blue and purple wire.
Will pinout each one to verify, but have hope this can be working relatively easily. If temp sensor becomes an issue, can work around this. Not required for proper operation, J1772 doesn’t have it. Just an add’t feature that isn’t needed. Thanks for the info.

One of the wires should be the pilot, easily tested with a continuity tester, and the other is likely the power to the transmitter.