Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall connector with nemo 14-50?

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
It was discontinued a while ago, at least a year or so. It wouldnt have any different experience than charging with a hard wired wall connector, except for plugging in the pigtail to the outlet.

Tesla has not sold that officially for a while.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H

Gauss Guzzler

Dec 27, 2020
Thousand Oaks, California
You could hack up an extension cord and connect it to your wall charger but it's not particularly safe to do so since the charger terminals are not designed to properly clamp the fine-strand wire of an extension cord. Plus those cords are expensive and you'd have to figure out a way to strain-relieve the entry point and...

A better approach would be to convert the outlet to a junction box by replacing the receptacle with a blank cover plate. You could then get some scraps of wire and a length of flex conduit to connect into the wall charger properly, legally, and in your preferred location.

Or just clip your portable charger to the wall and use that. The difference between the 32A portable charger and the 40A you could get from a wall charger in this configuration isn't meaningful in most cases. Overnight is overnight.

alexgr

Aug 13, 2019
i happened to come to a youtube video where a person was installing the wall connector using a nema 14-50 cord, it was surprisingly simple. Then I googled more into it and found this link. Looks like at some point Tesla was selling a wall connector that is nema 14-50 ready? anyone happened to have it and share experience?

I watched the guys installing the 14-50 outlet in my garage. It was NOT that simple, and I would not do it my self. I paid $225, but it may be more in MA. Try not to mention the outlet is for Tesla as it seems to double the cost automatically.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
I watched the guys installing the 14-50 outlet in my garage. It was NOT that simple, and I would not do it my self. I paid $225, but it may be more in MA. Try not to mention the outlet is for Tesla as it seems to double the cost automatically.

This OP already has an outlet, on the outside of their home, and is likely looking for a wall connector with a pigtail because they already paid for the 14-50 install.

• Informative

CaptainScavo

Sep 3, 2015
Atlanta, GA
It wouldnt have any different experience than charging with a hard wired wall connector, except for plugging in the pigtail to the outlet.

The NEMA 14-50 wall connector only charges at 40A, where the hardwired wall connector charges at 48A.

Not all Model 3s can take advantage of 48A speed though….

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC