Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I notice that some wall connectors say 50A, 60A and 80A when I do a search. My electrician said we could go as high as 60 A on our existing box. Wondering if the is a Tesla reference to what chargers have 24 ft connectors. 18ft is about all I have from the ideal position from power box install location.

Any help will be appreciated.

M

Either the 1st generation or 2nd generation HPWC is capable of up to 100A (80A actual charge rate) and both can be set via dip switches to any of those Amperage draws you mentioned at the time of installation. The 2nd generation one is capable of daisy chaining for adding more than one HPWC to the same circuit. It then intelligently distributes power, as needed, up to the maximum set charge rate for the circuit.

The 3rd generation (newest) HPWC is capable of "only" 48A which would be fine for today's newer cars that are limited to charge rates closer to that speed. If you have an older Tesla that has an upgraded option to either 72A or 80A or you think you may have one in the future or may have multiple vehicles it may make sense to install a Gen 2 now.

That said: if you drive a vehicle with the standard charge rate and have a 60A circuit to connect to the newer 3rd gen HPWC w/WiFi may be exactly what you need as it sounds like it was made for your situation.

I recommend you take some time to do some searching around this forum and Google as there is TONS of info to help you make an informed decision. This sort of thing isn't something you want rush into given how much installation costs.