Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there anything I gain by having my MY connected to a Tesla Wall Connector vs directly to a NEMA connector and the portable charger that comes with the car, other than not having to disconnect the portable if going on a long trip?

Is there anything I gain by having my MY connected to a Tesla Wall Connector
vs directly to a NEMA connector and the portable charger that comes with the car,
other than not having to disconnect the portable if going on a long trip?
The HPWC costs $500, plus the installation, while the UMC ins included and could use an existing NEMA plug if you already have one.
HPWC maxes out at 11.5kW/48 Amps where as the mobile connector maxes out at 7.6kW/32amps.
For example, if your daily driving is 180 miles (or 60% of 300 miles)
you would then charge at night from 20% to 80%, or 45 kWh, and it would take 4 hours at 48 A or 6 hours at 32 A.

So if you have a limited time for charging, for example your ToU (Time of Use) discount starts at midnight
but you go to work at 5 am, then you should get the wall charger, otherwise the UMC would be fine.

Beside faster charging, but you need a 60 Amps line instead or 40 Amps line,
the real advantage is the load sharing capability provided with the HPWC in case you have two or more EVs to charge.
But again, this depend of your usage, as many users would alternatively charge each car every other day to use the dame HPWC.

Last edited:
Reactions: wlrd08
If you plan to have a Tesla for a while and you have to pay someone to run a 240v line, in my opinion you may as well bite the bullet and buy a HPWC. If you already have a 14-50 outlet near the car and don't need to make any electrical upgrades, then you're looking at $35 for the plug and you're good to go, so you can try it that way and see (1) whether you need to charge faster and (2) how big of a pain it is to either pack up the mobile connector every time or drive around without it.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I have a gen 2 wall connector. But 32A would never be a problem. So IMO if you would feel good about saving the $500 then do mobile. But have the electrician run the wire gauge needed for a 48A wall connector on a 60 amp breaker.

I charge at 32A in the summer to keep things a bit cooler. Not necessary, but there's never a time that a faster charge would be beneficial.

And if you're going to plug in and unplug the mobile charger more than a few times, be sure to not use a $10 NEMA 14-50 receptacle, and spend $70 or so for one that can actually handle that without risk of overheating, bad contact etc.