TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla wanabies....what are they going to do for supercharging?

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by Cwsnhri, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Cwsnhri

Cwsnhri Member

Are they hoping Elon lets them use his?

2. ColBatGuano

ColBatGuano Member

Tesla sorta has the battery supply right now too. When you look at the number of cars most of these companies have sold it is hard to believe that they are going to set the word on fire with their new models. I'm guessing they are doing it for the fleet mileage benefit knowing that they can sell them at a loss (and probably will). Also a certain number of people are going to buy one just because it's a BMW, Mercedes, etc.

I'd bet that most are also sold to folks who are going to commute and don't need 200 mile a day of range (or slow charge at work). Not having a cross country high speed charge network kills most of my interest in alternatives to Tesla, the rest is killed by ugly styling, interiors with more dials, buttons and switches than a WWII bomber, and the stealership network.

I hope that they build a huge charge network (like one cord for every diesel pump in the country). I hope lots of people buy lots of BEV. I hope we turn the ship around, fossil fuel led us to this point now it's time to move on.

3. bxr140

bxr140 Member

First, negativity toward other entries into the EV world is counterproductive and short sighted.

With that out of the way, it doesn't look like anyone is going to take Telsa up what is basically a "we're cool if you want to buy into the supercharging network" offer. Not dissimilar to VHS vs Beta, it looks like the industry is trending toward CCS as the standardized format, over the significantly more elegant tesla connector. Bummer for at least the short/mid term future of EVs, but the major players in the auto industry would much rather spend a couple hundred million building out a network of their own, rather than pay Tesla to use theirs...especially if that money is earmarked anyway, like in VAG's case where it seems like some portion of a charging network may be paid with dieselgate fines.

4. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

That's the thing though; they WOULDN'T have to pay Tesla to use their network. All the patents are open and out there for anyone to use. The only condition is that they contribute to the network in proportion to the number of vehicles they'll be adding. If Chevy, BMW, or Nissan intend to dump tens of thousands of new vehicles onto Tesla's network, I think it's only fair that they pony up the cash to build a few new sites. I mean, it's not like they aren't planning to spend the money anyway. Might as well put it toward the superior technology.

5. bxr140

bxr140 Member

I think you missed the underlying point.

VAG, GM, Ford, etc would much rather spend a lot of money building out a new charging network then spend a significantly smaller amount of money to buy into a Telsa branded one--even if it meant ending up with a network that's not GM or Ford branded.

6. drewmcmanus

drewmcmanus Member

Interesting product and brand strategy questions here. I'd like to read more about this, especially the open patents on superchargers. Anyone have links I could read?

7. davewill

davewill Member

First off, I think you're right and wrong. Right that they will never buy into a proprietary Tesla standard. Even though there would be nothing stopping them from building their own Supercharger locations and branding them accordingly. I bet Tesla would even sell them the hardware.

However you are wrong that they would ever spend significant money to build out a network. They will spend small amounts, but they want third parties to carry that load.