Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wannabie owner - A few questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All
I own currently a 2016 BMW750 and the lease is coming to an end. I was thinking to go electric and Model X caught my eye.I had the chance to take one for a test drive and I am fine with the ride quality.
The only thing that throws me off is the interior. Far a car with such a price tag I expected a luxurious interior on par at least to say, with BMW. Very primitive ambient lighting, no HUD, lots of cheap plastic in the cabin, no armrests for 2nd row of seats. The demo I test drove had a bunch of rattles coming from the headliner.
How did you deal with all of the above? Is there a way to upgrade the interior?
What is your experience in terms of reliability?
Thanks for your attention

The interior is spartan. No upgrade options. No HUD. I went from a BMW X series to a Model X and the lack of HUD was annoying. Seats were fine though. But it is like the interior in a 40K car. Still the acceleration, and increased performance they add after you buy has kept a smile on my face.

And it has less rattles and squeaks than my my BMW X did.

My main requirements are luxury, performance, and reliability. My 750 was by far the most reliable car I have ever leased, tight like a drum , very quiet and well built. Too bad BMW does not offer an electric version of 7 series.
It's going to be a tough decision :(

My main requirements are luxury, performance, and reliability. My 750 was by far the most reliable car I have ever leased, tight like a drum , very quiet and well built. Too bad BMW does not offer an electric version of 7 series.

I know exactly where you are coming from. After being spoiled by BMW interior, Nothing seemed to cut it for me. Mercedes looked like 'that 70s show', Audi was trying too hard, Lexus didn't even come close... and the Model X interior is the same as the Chevy Volt's that I once owned. Same cheap materials and plastic.

If your main requirement is luxury, Tesla is not for you. Tesla fit and finish is horrible. You are looking for love at a Hooters! You should consider the E-Tron or the upcoming Taycan for $150K if thats what you want.

I took delivery of my Model X about ten days back, and on the 6th day, I got the version 10 software update. Suddenly I had very smooth rendering of Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, Spotify added to my car's entertainment system (with amazing surround sound), and I could now summon the car from across the parking lot. Try that with your BMW! :)

Tesla is not a luxury car. It is just expensive because of all the innovations going on, and Tesla doesn't sell gas cars with high profit margins to subsidize their research. Elon himself made it pretty clear that those who buy the X and S are contributing to research. I bought a Tesla with the full understanding that I am signing up as a test driver for futuristic car technology, and paying 100K for the privilege. It is experimental, which by definition means that it may not be as reliable. If you look at it from a traditional perspective of what a 'nice car' should be, Tesla is a disappointment. But it is exciting and impresses you in whole new ways you never imagined before!

Last edited:

The 7 series has been built for over 25 years now so they have had some practice at it. We had one in the 2000 timeframe and it was a POS. GPS would send you 300 miles out of your way, rear seats split in 2 years, rear window shade and windows randomly jammed. We had it in for 6 or 7 repairs during the 3 year lease. It didn't squeak like the 3s do. But still we were happy to dump it and get a Lexus LX, boring, but reliable.

Doesn't the 7 come in a hybrid? Maybe that would work for you.

Porsche built the Taycan just for you

the model X wins in performance, but look elsewhere for luxury and reliability. it is spartan, sophisticated, and speedy lol.

Thank you so much for all your replies! I read about Taycan and is a very tempting proposition. Also there is a 2020 BMW hybrid but the fully electric range is a joke (26 miles or so).Another option I will explore is 2020 Audi e-tron. The interior fit and finish are pretty impressive.
The only disadvantage is the range (about 240 Miles) but his should not be a problem for me as I do not plan any long road trips on an electric car.

I've never driven a BMW I don't think, but have owned four Audi's. I guess I'm more a sports car Audi owner than a Luxury Audi owner, but the Tesla interior on the Model X at first looks and early into my 'i just bought one not delivered yet' mode it's more than nice enough for me. I actually dislike the newer model year audi's as they're doing this 'quiltied' look leather that is supposed to be fancy but looks old fashioned to me.

That said, my eyes don't look at the seat, they look out the windows and at the dash, and the dash on Tesla's cars are my favorite thing. I just wish they had better iPhone integration and supported carplay in a window or something, but what they offer is excellent.

Everyone I know with BMW's has "issues". They don't own 7's though. Several older ones are rusted out POS. Didn't even know cars it last two decades could still rust out like my dad's 1970 Ford LTD did. Holy crap.

I'm pretty happy with the interior of the Model X (Was nicer than a Model 3 for sure). Reliability is too soon to tell.

Never had a HUD, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing.

Hello All
I own currently a 2016 BMW750 and the lease is coming to an end. I was thinking to go electric and Model X caught my eye.I had the chance to take one for a test drive and I am fine with the ride quality.
The only thing that throws me off is the interior. Far a car with such a price tag I expected a luxurious interior on par at least to say, with BMW. Very primitive ambient lighting, no HUD, lots of cheap plastic in the cabin, no armrests for 2nd row of seats. The demo I test drove had a bunch of rattles coming from the headliner.
How did you deal with all of the above? Is there a way to upgrade the interior?
What is your experience in terms of reliability?
Thanks for your attention

Here are 10 reasons to stick with BMW

1) you own a gas station or you just like paying for gasoline
2) you like spending time at the service center getting oil changes and other fun ICE repairs likes brakes
3) you enjoy polluting the air and doing your part to accelerate climate change
4) you are a mechanic
5) you like your cars to be dated immediately with no OTA SWs ...Telsa's are continuously updated (i have many features that where not there when i purchased the car)
6) you like engine noise
7) you don't like extra cargo space in your vehicles. You would rather have an engine , fuel tank, exhaust, drivetrain, etc...
8) you like the smell of gasoline and all the other great fluids in an ICE engine.
9) you like when cats and other critters warm up near your engine after a long drive
10) you hate the idea of instant torque and 0-60 under 3 seconds... you find the lag of an ICE more fun

Tesla cars made in the USA , powered by energy generated in the USA!!!!

Here are 10 reasons to stick with BMW

1) you own a gas station or you just like paying for gasoline
2) you like spending time at the service center getting oil changes and other fun ICE repairs likes brakes
3) you enjoy polluting the air and doing your part to accelerate climate change
4) you are a mechanic
5) you like your cars to be dated immediately with no OTA SWs ...Telsa's are continuously updated (i have many features that where not there when i purchased the car)
6) you like engine noise
7) you don't like extra cargo space in your vehicles. You would rather have an engine , fuel tank, exhaust, drivetrain, etc...
8) you like the smell of gasoline and all the other great fluids in an ICE engine.
9) you like when cats and other critters warm up near your engine after a long drive
10) you hate the idea of instant torque and 0-60 under 3 seconds... you find the lag of an ICE more fun

Tesla cars made in the USA , powered by energy generated in the USA!!!!
oops i just realized you are from Canada correction

Tesla cars made in the North America , powered by energy generated in the North America!!!

Everyone I know with BMW's has "issues". They don't own 7's though. Several older ones are rusted out POS. Didn't even know cars it last two decades could still rust out like my dad's 1970 Ford LTD did. Holy crap.

I'm pretty happy with the interior of the Model X (Was nicer than a Model 3 for sure). Reliability is too soon to tell.

Never had a HUD, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing.

We have owned BMW 3 series (still on X3 and 335), 5 series, 6 series, and 7 series cars over the last 20 years. I find the X rides close to the 5 or 3 series. The suspension is tight and steering response pretty quick. It is definitely harsher than the 7 series, which sort of floats over bumps, but wallows when pushed.

We never had any issues with rust, but them I live in California, and even in the mountains we only used sand, and not salt on frozen roads.

But I will say the BMWs were maintenance hogs. Everything from the rear seats splitting, to the rear window shades and other electrical motors failing. But since the OP is leasing, these age related issues may be an issue for a later buyer.

Regarding the HUD, BMW is at the top of the heap with theirs. Imagine the left binnacle map in your S or X plus speed and traffic intrusion warnings floating out at the end of the hood. With the moving map, speed, traffic warnings, etc displayed being out there, you never needed to look down at the speedometer on your dash or driving directions in the center console. That is what BMWs HUD does for you as a driver. It is fantastic. I really miss the HUD when I drive my Model X.

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo
Porsche built the Taycan just for you

the model X wins in performance, but look elsewhere for luxury and reliability. it is spartan, sophisticated, and speedy lol.

Seems that Tycan is pretty fast too, 2.5 sec 0-60
We have owned BMW 3 series (still on X3 and 335), 5 series, 6 series, and 7 series cars over the last 20 years. I find the X rides close to the 5 or 3 series. The suspension is tight and steering response pretty quick. It is definitely harsher than the 7 series, which sort of floats over bumps, but wallows when pushed.

We never had any issues with rust, but them I live in California, and even in the mountains we only used sand, and not salt on frozen roads.

But I will say the BMWs were maintenance hogs. Everything from the rear seats splitting, to the rear window shades and other electrical motors failing. But since the OP is leasing, these age related issues may be an issue for a later buyer.

Regarding the HUD, BMW is at the top of the heap with theirs. Imagine the left binnacle map in your S or X plus speed and traffic intrusion warnings floating out at the end of the hood. With the moving map, speed, traffic warnings, etc displayed being out there, you never needed to look down at the speedometer on your dash or driving directions in the center console. That is what BMWs HUD does for you as a driver. It is fantastic. I really miss the HUD when I drive my Model X.

I am impressed by how reliable my 2016 750 was. The only time I visited the dealership was for the oil changes and to replace the wiper blades. I put almost 60k miles on this car and proved to be solid as a tank. I know Tesla packs a lot of new technologies but 7 series, MB and Audi are not far behind.
I just came across this article Next-Gen BMW 7 Series Rumored To Get Pure Electric Version
It seems BMW will come up with a fully electric version of 7 series by the end of 2021.