Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wants $4,000 to remove and replace the steering rack. Does this sound right??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 1,465
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    290 KB · Views: 1,134
There’s been at least one diy write up. The avg tesla owner isn’t taking on something like this, though. It’s probably not as bad as you might think, but alignment afterward… depending on where you live that’s a pain. Personally, on my 2012 217k mile S, I’d buy the best used one and just read a lot about the procedure while it ships. With patience and tools anyone can do the work.

Reactions: SigRed12
Update: insisted the techs actually get eyes-on the car. They did, then revised the estimate and said it's a bolt that needed replaced. $260 and good as new.

That's scary to think that they did a write-up/estimate without even looking at the car. I have to wonder if you authorized the work without pushing them to do another look if they would have even done that or just charged the $4k to change the entire rack.

That's scary to think that they did a write-up/estimate without even looking at the car. I have to wonder if you authorized the work without pushing them to do another look if they would have even done that or just charged the $4k to change the entire rack.
This is the Tesla way. They are not mechanics - they are "service technicians". They input symptoms into the computer, perform basic diagnostics, and replace major parts assemblies until the problem is addressed with little regard to overall cost or efficiency.

Bingo. They just throw parts at it until resolved.
My best Tesla Service story/analogy ends with me fixing it myself.

They replaced my drivers seat bc it rocked when the car was basically new. They said it was the base but the base was not removable from the seat. A few years later my new seat started rocking, just out of warranty, so I asked if they could take a look at it and told them about last time. They good willed a new drivers seat. A third drivers seat, out of warranty.
Well, 3 years later (recently) and my drivers seat rocks slightly, then a few days later it’s slightly more. I removed the primary bolts and one of them was fairly loose. Snugged it down and it is tight as can be. All this time I believe a bolt has been working it’s way loose. Thread lock could’ve saved thousands in service hours, parts materials, shipping. The environment is not king at Tesla. The dollar is.

Such BS. I am going through the same thing myself. $5,600 for the replacement on my Model X. I was quoted the price prior to my visit, then insisted that they actually take a look at the car prior to quoting me such an egregious price. I feel they just swap full components out even if its a minor issue that can be resolved. This may be my last Tesla if this is how the service is going to be.