Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wants to charge me $750 to give me back MY INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM after having them upgrade it to a new infotainment system .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mr. Mix

Jun 24, 2021
SoCal
My car is in the Tesla service center right now having some work done to it. They are also replacing the infotainment system. I asked them to make sure that they kept my old infotainment center in the car after they install the new one because I wanted to keep it. Then they tell me that it will cost me $750 if I want to keep my old infotainment system. Why am I being charged to keep something that is already mine?

Attachments

• 7C805909-BE66-480C-983C-0B33699D3A08.jpeg
    7C805909-BE66-480C-983C-0B33699D3A08.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 111
My car is in the Tesla service center right now having some work done to it. They are also replacing the infotainment system. I asked them to make sure that they kept my old infotainment center in the car after they install the new one because I wanted to keep it. Then they tell me that it will cost me $750 if I want to keep my old infotainment system. Why am I being charged to keep something that is already mine?

It's just like a 5 cent deposit to keep your plastic water bottle but in your case, it's more than a few cents.

Reactions: LJG0053
$750 is a steel. I was given a price of $1500 to keep it back in early $2000. The way it is explained is that the cost I pay for it subsidized by the value of MCU/1. So if I want to keep it I have to pay an additional $1500. I guess the value of MCU/1 has gone down 50% in two years.

This. Core charges are standard in the automotive industry, especially for items that are large, expensive, and/or can be refurbished to be re-sold again as a replacement part.
Core charges are standard in the automotive industry. But they have to tell you a core charge is included in the purchase price. I don’t think Tesla makes any mention of it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Skateboardgolf