Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wants to replace my battery because jack points are damaged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dropping and replacing one of these battery modules isn't very difficult and you shouldn't be worried about it affecting you down the road. Definitely demand a new battery as your Tesla is still very new. Be sure to go over your vehicle with the service advisor before accepting your vehicle and driving off the lot. Good luck!

Reactions: GBMaryland
I took delivery of my MYP 2 weeks ago and dropped it off for service last week for some minor things like paint chips, steering wheel pleather had a wrinkle, and the driver door was rubbing the trim when opening/closing. I also discovered the jack points to be pretty banged up so added that to the list. The service advisor said he's never seen that before and wasn't sure what the fix would be since it's part of the battery module. He just called me and said they need to replace the whole battery module and he already created a service appointment 2 months away on my behalf. I asked him if this is a safety thing and he's following up with is tech.....but my concern is performing a seemingly invasive repair and any human error that could be introduce that would affect me down the road. What do you guys think?
I just read an article about this, you should look more into it if I find the link I will post. It’s a defect with one of the machines making the cars and someone did an investigation on it and there are possible thousands of cars with this issue

Found it

ALL of them with not one flaw? I’d take that bet.
It's hilarious that that poster would make that comment after post 10. :D

Thanks to this post, the jack points were one of the first things I checked, and I'm happy to say that mine were undamaged. Hopefully that means the issue was addressed and resolved.
Sorry to bump this thread, but I’ve been trying to find pictures of the jack points from the bottom.

Does this look normal? Not sure if you could take a look underneath yours and see if you have these little dot/markings inside each jack point.

Thanks
IMG_2968.jpeg
IMG_3066.jpeg

Sorry to bump this thread, but I’ve been trying to find pictures of the jack points from the bottom.

Does this look normal? Not sure if you could take a look underneath yours and see if you have these little dot/markings inside each jack point.

Thanks

I'm not sure. If the chassis inside that hole can support the car's weight, then it's okay. If not, it's not normal ,but it looks too minimal to damage anything.

I'm not sure. If the chassis inside that hole can support the car's weight, then it's okay. If not, it's not normal ,but it looks too minimal to damage anything.
Could you take a look at your Y when you have a moment? I have to assume this is either from manufacturing and on other Ys which means it’s normal. If it’s not on other Ys, it’s clearly an issue.

Just wondering if you or anyone else with a Y could take a look. Thanks

It's hard to tell it that little white spot is sticking out, or an indentation? If you google Model 3 jack points (which are the same) you'll see some articles about cracking around them - there are a bunch of pics as well. This doesn't seem like cracking, but that spot doesn't look like it should be there. Here is one with a clear view - Lawsuit reveals Model 3 in Germany with cracked jack points would fail inspections

Have you had the car jacked up?