Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wants to replace my battery because jack points are damaged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my MYP 2 weeks ago and dropped it off for service last week for some minor things like paint chips, steering wheel pleather had a wrinkle, and the driver door was rubbing the trim when opening/closing. I also discovered the jack points to be pretty banged up so added that to the list. The service advisor said he's never seen that before and wasn't sure what the fix would be since it's part of the battery module. He just called me and said they need to replace the whole battery module and he already created a service appointment 2 months away on my behalf. I asked him if this is a safety thing and he's following up with is tech.....but my concern is performing a seemingly invasive repair and any human error that could be introduce that would affect me down the road. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_7067.PNG
    IMG_7067.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,113
  • IMG_7124.jpeg
    IMG_7124.jpeg
    355.9 KB · Views: 373
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 4.19.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 4.19.59 PM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 412
I took delivery of my MYP 2 weeks ago and dropped it off for service last week for some minor things like paint chips, steering wheel pleather had a wrinkle, and the driver door was rubbing the trim when opening/closing. I also discovered the jack points to be pretty banged up so added that to the list. The service advisor said he's never seen that before and wasn't sure what the fix would be since it's part of the battery module. He just called me and said they need to replace the whole battery module and he already created a service appointment 2 months away on my behalf. I asked him if this is a safety thing and he's following up with is tech.....but my concern is performing a seemingly invasive repair and any human error that could be introduce that would affect me down the road. What do you guys think?
pretty standard practice you received a new Car and I'm assuming Labor on refurbishing the one component would cost alot more then just replacing the whole battery/jackpoints as they are one whole unit. I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Reactions: sleepydoc

It happened to Germany customers too and they don't trust Made in USA cars, they want Made in China cars.

It happened to Germany customers too and they don't trust Made in USA cars, they want Made in China cars.
That's odd... I have the opposite experience with other products.

Reactions: sleepydoc
  • Informative
Reactions: Daekwan and Tha_Ape
I would absolutely demand that they use a new battery pack, but other than that I totally would get it fixed. Those jack points are really messed up and you DO NOT want them 3 years down the road to say it was your fault for incorrect lifting or anything. They're owning up to the mistake and willing to replace it now, go for it, but fight fight fight for a new battery pack rather then a refurbished one.

When you think about it… Though this is really annoying and very upsetting… The battery packs always have a warranty for 120K…

Reality is you have very little to worry about regardless of whatever battery pack they give you. A refurbished battery pack will have a battery that performs like a new one.

i’m not sticking up for “ The man,” just realistically I don’t think you’re going to get hosed.