Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Warranty Expenses

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure where I saw it, but someone made a comment in another thread about how Tesla must have extremely high warranty costs with all the issues we discuss here.

I was curious, so I did some digging, and found it interesting that (at least through EOY 2021), that was not the case.

For 2021, Tesla had a 1.3% claim rate (as a percentage of sales).

I find that remarkable considering a longer warranty than most competitors, yet still less....

1665093817715.png

Furthermore, they appear to be planning for the future, as even though they have a 1.3% claim rate, the accrual rate (amount set aside for future warranty costs) are at 2.3% so they could easily weather a minor storm / increase in claims.

1665093846610.png

The article I pulled this from mentions Tesla has been over accruing for a while so its not like they are EXPECTING to get hit, more likely they are just keeping it high to ensure future financial stability.

Also interesting that they set aside less per vehicle than many other "luxury" brands, again, despite the much longer warranty.

1665093873639.png

Again, this is 2020 data, and the reference that got me looking for this was talking about current models so MAYBE this will look differently when data is filed next year but at least based on this, I would say Tesla is doing better than many here would perceive.

For the rest of the story, see here:

I'm curious to see the actual cost of a Warranty repair. How much does it cost them to fix Paint replace a battery pack or drive motor? What are they paying their techs? Are they hourly or flat rate to fix warranty repairs
Agree, that I didn't find...

Since Tesla controls more of the supply chain than some manufacturers they may have less cost for replacement parts than others.

Having their own service centers could go either way really, less middle men but have worked both with 3rd party / local providers as well as company owned technicians (in other industries) and though the potential for less cost is there with direct employees, it rarely happens.