Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Warranty Issue + Impact on XPEL Wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I have a problem where I took delivery of a Model X in April 2017. At the time of delivery, there was an issue noted with the passenger seat where the sides were very stiff. It was advised that the seat will likely need to be replaced.

At the time of taking delivery, I advised Tesla I intend to get the car wrapped with XPEL INCLUDING the glossy seat backs...

Tesla Advised me to proceed with getting the wrap done as they would be able to use the old seat back on the new seat.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago (exactly 1 year after taking delivery), the replacement seat had finally arrived and upon pick up of my vehicle I was advised "we weren't able to use the same seat back as the seats have changed since you took delivery".

I asked if there was anything they could do, and they said because they're not the ones who put the XPEL on they can't.

My issue is, they might not have put the XPEL on, but I confirmed this before getting it put on that the seat backs are interchangeable...

Why do I have to spend my time and money getting the seat back wrapped again because Tesla took 1 year to deliver a replacement part, that too after Tesla told me it wouldn't be a problem.

I took this up with the service manager at the location who told me they can't do anything.

I went through the "Escalate to Executive review" on Tesla Dashboard, and they finally called me and told me they can't do anything because its not a Tesla part.

Is there anything else I can do here or am I out of luck?

Overall Customer Service has definitely gone down hill from when I bought my First X in 2016, where for a similar issue the service manager went above and beyond what I had expected, and now I'm being told I'm on my own.

If your XPEL installer is reputable, they might do it for you for free or at least at a discount. I had XPEL stealth wrap on my seat backs including the headrest piece of the 3rd row and when Tesla swapped out the entire 3rd row for a recall, my installer told me to come on in and they re-wrapped the pieces at no charge. Same thing more recently when Tesla replaced the door handle on my sister's Model 3, our XPEL installer had us stop by and re-wrapped that piece at no charge. Granted, those are small pieces, so maybe you might have to pay a little bit to cover the raw materials, but there's no harm at least asking.

• Helpful
Reactions: rjdoc74
If your XPEL installer is reputable, they might do it for you for free or at least at a discount. I had XPEL stealth wrap on my seat backs including the headrest piece of the 3rd row and when Tesla swapped out the entire 3rd row for a recall, my installer told me to come on in and they re-wrapped the pieces at no charge. Same thing more recently when Tesla replaced the door handle on my sister's Model 3, our XPEL installer had us stop by and re-wrapped that piece at no charge. Granted, those are small pieces, so maybe you might have to pay a little bit to cover the raw materials, but there's no harm at least asking.

I'll try this approach. But feel like they would've offered it up front if it was an option...Thanks!

I see your point, but don't remember any warranty also including any after market products. In fact, many after market work voids the warranty. All you can say if you were informed it shouldn't be an issue, and showing any proof of that conversation will give you weight perhaps even having them chip in or even cover the re-wrap. Back of one seat shouldn't be all that much... otherwise think you need to call it a wash.

Not all service centers are created equal.

My SC advised they would replace the XPEL on my body-color roof if needed when they were adjusting that panel. It was a fairly large job which required the replacement of the windshield.

I also had Photosync tint applied to the windshield prior to noticing the roof panel misalignment. Fortunately for Tesla, the roof did not need to be replaced during the adjustment. However due to the new windshield, new tint was necessary. My SC did not hesitate to pay for another layer of Photosync which is not inexpensive.

XPEL is also not inexpensive. That is besides the point here. For those throwing dollar figures at the issue are dismissing OP's point. Due to Tesla's inability to quickly resolve the initial problem, they are adding to a poor customer experience. Instead of simply doing what is right, they are potentially losing a customer, if not more than one, over what may be $100.

This should absolutely be escalated.

So, I have a problem where I took delivery of a Model X in April 2017. At the time of delivery, there was an issue noted with the passenger seat where the sides were very stiff. It was advised that the seat will likely need to be replaced.

At the time of taking delivery, I advised Tesla I intend to get the car wrapped with XPEL INCLUDING the glossy seat backs...

Tesla Advised me to proceed with getting the wrap done as they would be able to use the old seat back on the new seat.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago (exactly 1 year after taking delivery), the replacement seat had finally arrived and upon pick up of my vehicle I was advised "we weren't able to use the same seat back as the seats have changed since you took delivery".

I asked if there was anything they could do, and they said because they're not the ones who put the XPEL on they can't.

My issue is, they might not have put the XPEL on, but I confirmed this before getting it put on that the seat backs are interchangeable...

Why do I have to spend my time and money getting the seat back wrapped again because Tesla took 1 year to deliver a replacement part, that too after Tesla told me it wouldn't be a problem.

I took this up with the service manager at the location who told me they can't do anything.

I went through the "Escalate to Executive review" on Tesla Dashboard, and they finally called me and told me they can't do anything because its not a Tesla part.

Overall Customer Service has definitely gone down hill from when I bought my First X in 2016, where for a similar issue the service manager went above and beyond what I had expected, and now I'm being told I'm on my own.

Tesla had to repaint the doors and front quarter panels of my Model X due to a defect in the paint and the quarter panels were wrapped with XPEL. They reimbursed me to have it re-wrapped.

I'm not a lawyer, so I wont go into 'who is right' and 'who is wrong'. But personally I feel Tesla is right. You have a defective product that you have modified. They replaced the defective product, now your modifications are gone. So be it.

What Tesla did do wrong in my opinion is tell you that they could swap the back panel. Hardly anyone at Tesla knows what will change in 2 weeks, so someone telling they can swap the parts a year later is risky at least. I suspect they were honest and truthful at that time, and the person you spoke was trying its best, but he didn't know the seats would either take so long and that the design would change.

But in the end, their only obligation is to replace the defective part. Not all your modifications.

Did you also expect Tesla to have the part wrapped for you? Because this portion of your post indicates that may be the case. Or was this portion just an after the fact rant?

By the way, I'm not saying you are wrong, just trying to get the whole story.

Did you also expect Tesla to have the part wrapped for you? Because this portion of your post indicates that may be the case. Or was this portion just an after the fact rant?

By the way, I'm not saying you are wrong, just trying to get the whole story.

My expectation was that Tesla would use the old seat back on the new seat. This is what they had told me they would do when they gave me the “all clear” to get my seat back wrapped.

When they told me they couldn’t use the seat back when picking up the car, that is when I had built the expectation for them to either get it wrapped or reimburse me for the damages.

My previous excellent experience with Tesla customer service in 2016 in a situation where the seat back got damaged and Tesla replaced it, after getting it wrapped themselves also made me think I can take their word for it. Fast forward to 2018, and that same level of service no longer seems to exist.

I guess going forward I’ll need to get everything in writing

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
You should always get everything in writing.
In regards to the money. I don’t think the earlier joke was about the cost being insignificant.
The joke was hiring a lawyer would cost much more than the cost of just replacing the XPEL cover.

Tesla changes things in their cars constantly. If you ever have a similar situation, get any statements in writing. And make the swap as soon as possible. The greater the delay the more likely the change to the part in question.

You should always get everything in writing.
In regards to the money. I don’t think the earlier joke was about the cost being insignificant.
The joke was hiring a lawyer would cost much more than the cost of just replacing the XPEL cover.

Tesla changes things in their cars constantly. If you ever have a similar situation, get any statements in writing. And make the swap as soon as possible. The greater the delay the more likely the change to the part in question.

I would've preferred they do the swap right there and then. However the 1 year delay in having the part arrive to my SC was caused by Tesla. (which is a whole other issue on its own that it took 1 year for a seat to arrive!)

Odd, every other instance of a wrapped part being replaced under warranty I read about included Tesla paying for the part to be wrapped again, maybe a chore for you but at least it's on their dime.

Odd, every other instance of a wrapped part being replaced under warranty I read about included Tesla paying for the part to be wrapped again, maybe a chore for you but at least it's on their dime.

This is my previous experience with Tesla as well, which is why the downgrade in customer service level is frustrating. On top of this, Tesla is the one who told me to get the part wrapped and I won’t need to worry due to them being able to use the old seat back.

Now neither the service Center nor the executive escalation helped this.