TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla warranty now has 8 year/infinite mile battery & drive unit warranty retroactive

Discussion in 'Model S' started by yobigd20, Aug 15, 2014.

1. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

#1 yobigd20, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    Tesla warranty now has 8 year/infinite mile battery & drive unit warranty ret...

incredible.

8 year infinite mile warranty on the drive unit and battery pack. retroactive on all Model S!!

Infinite Mile Warranty | Blog | Tesla Motors

The Tesla Model S drive unit warranty has been increased to match that of the battery pack. That means the 85 kWh Model S, our most popular model by far, now has an 8 year, infinite mile warranty on both the battery pack and drive unit. There is also no limit on the number of owners during the warranty period.

Moreover, the warranty extension will apply retroactively to all Model S vehicles ever produced. In hindsight, this should have been our policy from the beginning of the Model S program. If we truly believe that electric motors are fundamentally more reliable than gasoline engines, with far fewer moving parts and no oily residue or combustion byproducts to gum up the works, then our warranty policy should reflect that.

To investors in Tesla, I must acknowledge that this will have a moderately negative effect on Tesla earnings in the short term, as our warranty reserves will necessarily have to increase above current levels. This is amplified by the fact that we are doing so retroactively, not just for new customers. However, by doing the right thing for Tesla vehicle owners at this early stage of our company, I am confident that it will work out well in the long term.

- Elon

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Wow. That's huge! People asked for this and Tesla delivers again.

3. Treker56

Treker56 Member

What about the 60s!?

4. swaltner

swaltner Member

That's fantastic news! Totally agree with their comment that "In hindsight, this should have been our policy from the beginning of the Model S program." Using the term "infinite" instead of "unlimited" is kind of funny. Same thing, but sounds more impressive. :)

- - - Updated - - -

The drivetrain warranty now matches the battery warranty. In the case of the 60 kWh battery, that's currently eight year, 125,000 miles. Did that get changed at some point? If so, was that retroactive for all previous vehicles

5. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Good move by Tesla. I'm glad to have a better warranty, doubt it will be necessary, but peace of mind is nice.

6. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Tesla has earned my business for life!

#teslaforever

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Mod note: corrected title. An 8 mile warranty didn't seem that impressive:)

8. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

now I definitely don't need to worry about gunning it off every single light. ;) lol

- - - Updated - - -

thanks!! I got so excited when I got the news ticker pop up that I just frantically sped over to TMC and blurted it out as fast as possible...haha

9. bigdomer

bigdomer Member

10. J in MN

J in MN S60 P12635

Can't go much more than 9 million miles in 8 years...

11. tga

tga Active Member

Take that, Edmunds!

12. DriverOne

DriverOne Member

So the 60s get 125,000 mile warranty on the drive train, now. According to the design studio.

- - - Updated - - -

Um, what is the "drive unit" exactly?

13. taurusking

taurusking Member

yay another good reason I picked MS 85kWh... Can't wait to pick up my Model S

14. iadbound

iadbound Member

:biggrin: Great line!

Terrific news from Tesla, and shows what a class act Elon & Co. are. Just reminds me of why I decided to buy one. Now, I just need it to arrive.

15. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

As I understand it, that's the motor.

16. joer00

joer00 Member

Ahhhh finally ! I was always suggesting this as it made no sense to me to tell the clients the drive train is good for 1 million miles and then warrant it for less than a Hyundai !!

It is of course a smart move as the drive train problems started to catch public attention. This is a HUGE day for us as now the MS is the best used car buy EVER ! Which luxury car can you buy with the guarantee to drive it for 8 years 1 million miles without paying for anything (major) ??

17. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

motor, inverter, and transmission

18. Apoclyps

Apoclyps Member

is the drive train different between the 2 models? if not then why not have infinite on the drive train too for 60s? i understand the battery pack is limited to 125K for 60s and they want to match that... but...

19. Calvin.K

Calvin.K Member

20. RileyCPA

RileyCPA Member

I haven't received delivery yet but this Company just earned my business for life. This should detract all the naysayers and critics that the products this company puts out isn't top notch. Elon Musk is changing the auto industry one step at a time.

S85 | Red | Panoramic roof | Tan Nappa Leather | Tech/Parking | Delivery 18-Sep-2014