Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla warranty now has 8 year/infinite mile battery & drive unit warranty retroactive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this should apply to the 40s and 60s. They are most likely driven less and not driven as hard.

Tesla is in business to make money and options (85 kWh, tech package and Ps) are the best way for them to make money. So I believe it's fair that they make it more enticing to go with the pricier models. It's marketing only, nothing to do with the hardware as it is the same.

The 60 kWh with the 8 years/125,000 miles warranty is the absolute sweet spot for me fro my drive habits and costs. I do 22-25,000 ks a year (15,000 miles) so the 8 year will come first as those who have infinite miles.

PS the news came out yesterday, Tesla Motors has acquired a bigger location in Montreal for its new Service Center. It's going to be the biggest Service Center in North America with 45,000 foot square.

ARG! Still trying to figure out why Tesla wont let me upgrade my car to a 85kW pack! :(
If you really want an 85, why don't you just go and buy a new 85 ?

The prices on used 60's is so high right now (close to new cost) it really would not cost you that much.

As for the new Tesla warranty, as others have said it was the right thing to do. It will keep demand high for this car.

The other OEMs could learn something from the new kid on the block.

The prices on used 60's is so high right now (close to new cost) it really would not cost you that much.

As for the new Tesla warranty, as others have said it was the right thing to do. It will keep demand high for this car.

We're off-topic, but I would like to hear islandbayy's response to this question. I have a strong attachment to my car as well, but in part because of the Signature thing.

Anyone that mentions Hyundai 10 year 100k mile powertrain warranty should be made aware of the scam that it is.

If you don't get a ridiculous amount of servicing done at a Hyundai dealership they will find some fine print to deny your warranty claim. It is against the law to force customers to service their cars at company dealerships but they can stipulate what service requirements must done to a car to qualify for the warranty. And it is an obscene amount.

There might be a good dealer here and there to fight for their clients but in general that Hyundai warranty is a marketing scam.
I don't deny your personal experience Rob. I will say my Hyundai Genesis is a fantastic car that I bought in 2009 (V8, 385hp, RWD, 510 watt stereo system :)) , and more comfortable to drive in than my S85 (because of the seats and suspension). And the service at my Hyundai dealership in Greenwood Indiana has been awesome. I didn't think anything could compare to that until I bought a Tesla. Their service has been without question! They are two totally different kind of vehicles (obviously) but for my money, they are the best. Cheers to Elon for his latest announcement!

For starters, due to package and options changes and cost increases, if I were to get the exact same car, with the exact same options that I have now, only with the bigger battery, it would cost $89.820. Mine was $72,000 and some change. Thats a difference of $17,820 between my current 60kW car and a new 85kW car. Originally, the difference would have only been $8,000 as I have supercharging enabled on my 60kW. Now when my battery pack failed, I offered to pay the 10K difference to upgrade my battery to a 85kW (Since my battery had to be replaced anyways), and was denied. I thought might be a bad move on Tesla's part, as #1, replacing my battery is a monetary loss for Tesla, and they didn't even have a 60 in stock but had I believe 2x85's in stock. Allowing me to pay to upgrade would have possibly allowed them to break even on the repair or even make a tiny bit (As my old back would go in for refurbishment and back on the replacement rotation).

Next, is the wait for a new vehicle. Another monetary loss for me due to the mileage I drive. Being without a MS for 1-4 months waiting for a new car would cost me $750-$3,000 in gasoline. Next, The loss I would take on selling my old car. Then, Tax. I paid just over $4,000 in sales tax when registering my car. People seem to forget about that one.

In the end, it would most likely be better to try and get that New York service center that upgraded the other guys battery to upgrade mine and just pay the difference. I would then not be without a car. And of course, sentimental reasons. I have #9846, it's kinda cool to have one of the first 10k units :) And attachment. Me and my beauty have spent over 24 days together with me in that drivers seat :) (Averaging out mileage to average speed to calculate hours and days).

Oh, and I don't have a crap load of extra money laying around and am definitely in the middle class.... Battery upgrade I could put on my Amex platinum card :) and use the extra points I'd get to buy more Donuts and Pizza for the service center.

For those who purchased the extended warranty, why shouldn't it then become a 12 year unlimited power train warranty and an 8 year, 100k warranty on the remainder of the car?

How do you reason this?

The standard warranty is 4 years/50,000 miles. The ESA extends that to 8 years/100,000 miles. That is bumper to bumper coverage. The battery/drive unit warranty is separate from the bumper-to-bumper warranty. After expiration of your 4 year/50,000 mile warranty, your ESA kicks in to extend that to 8 years/100,000 miles. The ESA and bumper-to-bumper warranty do not cover the battery and drive unit, which are covered separately. There are plenty of things to warrant in the car outside of the battery and drive unit.

When Tesla made the drive unit part of the battery warranty yesterday, that had no material impact on the standard manufacturer's warranty or the ESA. They did not extend your bumper-to-bumper warranty to 8 years, they only rolled the drive unit into the already existing battery warranty. It seems pretty straightforward.

- - - Updated - - -

I also purchased the extended warranty but would not do the same again based on my experience (here).

- - - Updated - - -

It was once a great company but today I don't agree with that sentiment.

Tesla analyzed your Roadster, which you purchased as a pre-owned vehicle (not original owner), and found the battery to be fine. You weren't happy with Tesla's response, for some reason, and now that experience is coloring your perceptions moving forward. That's unfortunate, but not Tesla's fault.

- - - Updated - - -

This will push the 60kwh potential buyers up to the the 85Kwh level which means more profit for Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

What's the difference between "INFINITE" and "UNLIMITED"??? :confused:

Infinite is more outer-spacey. Unlimited is, well, boring. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I offered to pay the 10K difference to upgrade my battery to a 85kW (Since my battery had to be replaced anyways), and was denied.

$10k is the upgrade price when configuring a new vehicle online. I would think the price to upgrade your battery after the car was manufactured to be a bit higher. Did you escalate up the chain? Usually if you get your request in front of a regional service manager, or even Jerome, you will find some love.