Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla warranty now has 8 year/infinite mile battery & drive unit warranty retroactive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Customer for life.

They better watch out - we will see a lot of new Uber taxis on the road (200 miles per day x 365 days a year x 8 years - 584,000 miles -- he should thrown in a free car to the person who gets the highest mileage in 8 years.

And Roadster owners left out in the cold over this with no extension to their 3 years and a predictably overpriced battery in the works.... The same principles apply.
"we truly believe that electric motors are fundamentally more reliable than gasoline engines, with far fewer moving parts and no oily residue or combustion byproducts to gum up the works, then our warranty policy should reflect that." Great news for model S owners though.

This certainly is great news for many, and it's great publicity for Tesla.

I don't think this changes anything for me, however, and I'm sure for a lot of other people. I'll never hit the "infinite" miles, and I'm sure I'll never hit 50k miles in 8 years. That's just the way I drive and where I drive. There are still a lot of other things on the Model S that could go bad after 4 years, and they are potentially very expensive items: electronics, computer, air suspension, HVAC, charger, etc. In my mind, that's worth the extra $4k for a version 1.0 car -- especially one driven in the midwest where I am already seeing some corrosion run off. The only way this turns out to be a bummer for people like myself is if Tesla subsequently reduces the price of the extended warranty.

Notwithstanding, I applaud Tesla for doing this, as it will build consumer confidence.

is the drive train different between the 2 models? if not then why not have infinite on the drive train too for 60s? i understand the battery pack is limited to 125K for 60s and they want to match that... but...

Because they rolled the drive unit into the battery warranty. The battery warranty on the 60s comes with a 125,000 mileage restriction. It's still the best drivetrain warranty out there.

Last edited:
I'm picking nits here but I don't like the "infinite miles" language. On the 85 it's an 8 year warrantee with no mileage restrictions. That's much more transparent though not nearly as buzz creating.

Other than that I'm quite happy with the announcement and applaud Telsla's approach. First they defused negative about batteries and now the same with the drive trains. A smart move.

This is a good thing. However, I wonder what this means to those of us who purchased the extended warranty already. Clarification on this would be welcome from Tesla.

I would think it would still cover everything but the battery and drivetrain. There is still plenty in the car that could be expensive to repair... wheels, suspension, coolant pumps, AC compressor, headliner, seats, dash, speedo and touchscreen displays, door hinges, locks, air fans, radiators, automated intake louvers, pano roof, trunk and frunk latches, lights, seals, wiring, DC converters, single or dual chargers, 12v battery, supercharging hardware ($8,000+ right there per Goldie Bhullar), etc...

I was planning to buy the extended warranty when I got closer to the 4 mark (why buy before that?) mainly to cover the drive unit. I still might buy it for the other items covered, but hopefully at a lower price...

I guess the answer to buying it sooner is in case the price went up. I bought my vehicle after it already had gone from $2,500 to $4,000 so I thought it was unlikely that there would be another increase. I was also playing the "wait and see" like you but I was leaning more to not buying. Now I won't for sure, unless the price falls to less than half of what it is now, which seems unlikely.

Class move by a high class company. As a shareholder (long), I'm willing to take a short term hit in exchange for doing what is good in the long run.

I was expecting the drivetrain warranty to match the battery pack before gen3 was released. But as usual elon goes one or two better.
Unlimited miles and released before the model X.
Now they just have to tell us the battery replacement cost for the gen3. (When they get there)

I've always traded my vehicles around the time the warranty ends. Looks like I'm keeping the Model S for the long haul! This just made my night!

It seems the two most expensive single components of the car now have an awesome warranty. Might not even be worth the extended warranty anymore? I like to keep my cars for 5 years... well I say that, but my record so far for any car has been 4 years. :crying:

Nicely done, Tesla. I'll not hit 125k miles in 8 years with my 60 so, I'm all set too.

Now, Hyundai won't be able to put out that full page ad anymore comparing their Equus's 100,000-mile drivetrain warranty to Tesla's. Granted theirs is for 10 years.

For those who are now thinking of skipping the extended warranty (if available in your state), main items of concern: touchscreen, door handles, air suspension and pano roof (if you have either of the last two). Stiff at $4k but, will be worth it, I'm sure.