Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Warranty Repair Changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took car in for service today, Tesla associate said Tesla told them they are not able to do repairs on any noises & vibrations that may occur in the car after first 12k miles after the title is issued. Such as interior squeaks and rattles even when the car is under its bumper to bumper warranty. Any opinions on this? Kind of disappointing to me honestly..

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Took car in for service today, Tesla associate said Tesla told them they are not able to do repairs on any noises & vibrations that may occur in the car after first 12k miles after the title is issued. Such as interior squeaks and rattles even when the car is under its bumper to bumper warranty. Any opinions on this? Kind of disappointing to me honestly..
Sounds reasonable to me.
You have 12 months to bug them about squeaks, rattles, etc. After that, you're on your own.
Does any car manufacturer warranty against squeaks or rattles?

Sounds reasonable to me.
You have 12 months to bug them about squeaks, rattles, etc. After that, you're on your own.
I'm sure the higher luxury brands would if they ever had any issues but I highly doubt any bentleys are going to be rattling. I just think they should have put some higher quality panels in the car from the beginning. The newer cars it looks like they have realized the mistake and fixed it.

I'm sure the higher luxury brands would if they ever had any issues but I highly doubt any bentleys are going to be rattling. I just think they should have put some higher quality panels in the car from the beginning. The newer cars it looks like they have realized the mistake and fixed it.
You're naive to believe that other luxury cars don't rattle. Nothing to do with "quality".
Here's a sample for Mercedes...
mercedes rattles at DuckDuckGo
My New Mercedes-Benz Rattles (This guy even put up a special web site)
Mercedes-Benz C-Class w204 Why is My Interior Rattling - Mbworld
3rd Generation Mercedes-Benz E Class In-Cabin Rattles
Mercedes-Benz C230 Rattling Noise

Reactions: CarlK and cwerdna

This is disappointing and odd. This is the second post recently that Tesla is pushing back on squeaks/rattles. These issues are covered under the factory bumper/bumper warranty. See similar threads below where owner called BS. Might be the same SC.

Tesla wont cover rattles or any noise related defects after 15k miles?
$175 "diagnosis fee" on warranty work?

• Disagree
Reactions: CarlK and outdoors
I just had my 2015D in for the annual service. I mentioned a dash rattle and they took the dash off and fixed it.

This is disappointing and odd. This is the second post recently that Tesla is pushing back on squeaks/rattles. These issues are covered under the factory bumper/bumper warranty. See similar threads below where owner called BS. Might be the same SC.

Tesla wont cover rattles or any noise related defects after 15k miles?
$175 "diagnosis fee" on warranty work?

Thats interesting, I did take it to this service center for the first time.. last time took it to Fremont about the falcons doors being noisy and they didn't mention anything about not fixing rattles..but they also didn't fix the issue lol I think they forgot about it cuz the car was in for a couple things. I will try a different SC then.

Sounds reasonable to me.
Doesn't sound like a great policy.

As for the last point, Nissan and Toyota for me have covered them as part of the 3 year/36K "bumper to bumper" basic warranty. I'm pretty sure I've had Toyota do that work after the 1 year/12K mark and before the 3 year/36K mark. I definitely had this done on a Nissan during that time window.

After that's over, I'm out of luck for warranty coverage on that.

I just think they should have put some higher quality panels in the car from the beginning.
As someone else put it, it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the "quality" of the panels. I was going to point to Nissan TSB or service manual pages re: rattle repairs but stumbled across http://ctoprework.lms.nnanet.com/Tech/NoiseVibrationHarshnessTextSection_Sept2011.pdf. Skip to page 78 of the PDF (65 in the lower right) and skim thru it. As mentioned on page 93, a source can be wiring harness behind the dash.

It's the hyperdefensiveness that makes people laugh at fanboys here. Like, ok, you found some mercedes that rattle, that's cool. My Leaf is also WAY quieter than a 3 re: rattles, wind noise, and road noise. Sure the 3 is way faster and goes further but the criticism is real.
It's the unrealistic expectations, blanket statements and hypercritical attitude that gets some people defensive.

It's the unrealistic expectations, blanket statements and hypercritical attitude that gets some people defensive.

I mean, I know my Leaf is quieter than a 3. It also cost about a third of what a 3 does after credits and rebates. It is revealing to me when people make a comparison of a 3 to an old Nissan and go "unrealistic! hypercritical!"

I don't know if Tesla makes creakier or noisier cars than average, statistically, but I think most folks who have driven another EV can agree that the 3 isn't particularly quiet, and it's not just "well that's how every car sounds when it's not EXPLODING POISON!!".

Like, my Nissan dealership sucks and hates EVs, that's true. But when I complained about a restraint error in my 3 to a Service Advisor who wanted to send me on my way despite the triple error chime ringing every 90 seconds, and then asked him if he'd accept that in his new car, only to be told "well, Toyotas don't really have these problems", I discovered that it's not all FUD.

I mean, I know my Leaf is quieter than a 3. It also cost about a third of what a 3 does after credits and rebates. It is revealing to me when people make a comparison of a 3 to an old Nissan and go "unrealistic! hypercritical!"

I don't know if Tesla makes creakier or noisier cars than average, statistically, but I think most folks who have driven another EV can agree that the 3 isn't particularly quiet, and it's not just "well that's how every car sounds when it's not EXPLODING POISON!!".

Like, my Nissan dealership sucks and hates EVs, that's true. But when I complained about a restraint error in my 3 to a Service Advisor who wanted to send me on my way despite the triple error chime ringing every 90 seconds, and then asked him if he'd accept that in his new car, only to be told "well, Toyotas don't really have these problems", I discovered that it's not all FUD.
Extrapolating your anecdotal experience to all of Tesla is FUD.

These issues are covered under the factory bumper/bumper warranty. See similar threads below where owner called BS. Might be the same SC.

The warranty actually doesn’t cover squeaks and rattles.

C389C52E-0333-4CC4-9717-575324407813.jpeg

If the noises seem to be cosmetic, I'm not surprised. If you are worried that they represent the suspension falling apart or something, I'm sure they'll repair that.

The warranty actually doesn’t cover squeaks and rattles.

View attachment 384776

This was a recent change to the warranty language. Technically the warranty states "normal noises and vibrations". You could argue that the parts are "malfunctioning" since they should not be designed to rattle.

Fixing rattles in a car is completely normal for any auto manufacturer in 2019.