Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Warranty Versions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have PDFs of older revisions to the Tesla New Vehicle Limited Warranty? I can download the Feb 1 2019 revision from the Tesla website but can't find any older copies.

I don't really like that Tesla only makes the latest copy available on their website (as far as I can find).

Yea, that is another one of Elon innovations, change the information on the website, pretend the old information never existed. As a long time customer I learned to take screencaps of order pages, download and save terms and conditions and, etc for every car. It doesn't help much when talking with Tesla directly (they just ignore old stuff, always point you to current web info) but can be helpful when talking with lawyers to extract what Tesla sold you and then cleansed it from their website pretending it was never there.

Finally got around to comparing the April 2017 warranty with the Feb 2019 version. For the most part they are basically the same. It was interesting that Tesla made a lot of changes to the wording of the battery warranty and added some wording about software. Apparently (if I am reading the new warranty correctly) you can void your warranty if you do not install software updates (this was not in the 2017 warranty). Tesla is also now not on the hook if damage occurs from your car getting hacked.

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 10.38.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 10.39.50 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
I agree with the failure to install updates will void the warranty. For those that refuse to do it because they don't like the newer UI, that's your choice, just like modifying your car with an aftermarket part is your choice. That also voids warranties. If they find a major problem that can happen, put an update out there to correct that problem, but the customer refuses to update it, I can see why they would do that.

...I agree with the failure to install updates will void the warranty...

Tesla needs to prove why a failure to update would void a warranty.

For example, if my display has a yellow band and I failed to install an update, Tesla needs to explain why:

Because the new update would eliminate the yellow band by covering up with a black band.

In this case, I don't think Tesla has a ground to stand on. We bought a 17" display, not a 16" display with a black band covering the border.

Tesla needs to prove why a failure to update would void a warranty.

For example, if my display has a yellow band and I failed to install an update, Tesla needs to explain why:

Because the new update would eliminate the yellow band by covering up with a black band.

In this case, I don't think Tesla has a ground to stand on. We bought a 17" display, not a 16" display with a black band covering the border.

I'm not suggesting that, so let's all cool our jets.

What I'm suggesting is that if someone refuses to update their firmware since version 8.1, and the car drives itself into the back of a stopped fire truck, then the owner can't claim they want a new car due to faulty software.

Or (more realistic) - someone refuses to upgrade their firmware for however long, and then their battery explodes in a parking garage... Tesla at that point won't honor the warranty on the battery because the owner refused to update their firmware which may have had some type of fix on it.

Or (more realistic) - someone refuses to upgrade their firmware for however long, and then their battery explodes in a parking garage... Tesla at that point won't honor the warranty on the battery because the owner refused to update their firmware which may have had some type of fix on it.

You are describing:

Tesla is being investigated for a software update meant to limit fire risk

maxresdefault.jpg

The EPA range for MS 85 of 265 miles is dangerous and Tesla unilaterally reduces the range to prevent fires but Tesla didn't explain that to the governmental agency nor to its owners.

It's a good rationale for safety but not for stealing range without compensating the owners for the loss.

Thus, Tesla is now stuck between the governmental agency and the consumers just for the stealthy software update that it didn't explain to anyone!

• Love
Reactions: Gixx1300R
what really pisses me off is that I ordered my new Model S on 22 Oct 12019 and because I had plans to go to Ecuador on 28 Dec, Tesla said they would delivery all vehicles before 31 Dec......I told them on 23 Dec, since I di not have a Vin number, to just push out to Jan when we return and that I did not care about the tax credit....on Tuesday, 28 Jan was called and told car was here and ready for pick up.....asked it Wednesday was ok and they said come in on Thursday, 30 Jan......

well I did that and the next day found out that the warranty for the battery was changed from 8 yrs and unlimited mileage to 8 years and 150,000 miles on 29 Jan 20....one day before I picked up......I am working with corporate to see if they will change it but they say I need to go to the delivery center....delivery center says go to the service center.....getting run around now.....But I think I have a case for the old warranty......

new warranty states that if you purchased car before 29 Jan 2020, the unlimited mileage warranty will apply to you......the question is, I bought the car with deposit on 22 Oct 2019, and took delivery on 30 Jan 2020, so I consider that the purchase date since I put down a deposit and had to wait for the car to be delivered.....what say you?

I agree with the failure to install updates will void the warranty. For those that refuse to do it because they don't like the newer UI, that's your choice, just like modifying your car with an aftermarket part is your choice. That also voids warranties. If they find a major problem that can happen, put an update out there to correct that problem, but the customer refuses to update it, I can see why they would do that.

I agree as well. I won't support/service instruments we sell if customers won't install latest software.
I also suspect the wording around 3rd party software isn't so much if you get hacked. But 3rd party software could, for example, keep your car from sleeping 24/7 and drastically shorten the life of the 12V. Why should Tesla be responsible for that?

I wonder if they could baulk at my Model X CANBus to OBDII adapter that I keep plugged in, but I only plug Bluetooth Adapter in as needed.

Officially, it's the dates on the sheet that has 2 signatures: one from the buyer and one from the seller at the bottom of Delivery Declaration:

Uc3qc5e.jpg

not sure I saw the one......but we probably signed it.....we had a rush job late in the afternoon and had 2 different delivery agents....what a goat rodeo......but we were the only people taking delivery....first guy was 45 min late and said he could only say. with us for 15 min because he had to clock out....this after we waited nearly 1 hr after appointment time.....2nd guy came and went....when we had questions, we had to got and find him....not a good experience, however, we we excited to get new car and I guess thats what they are counting on.